Cape Buffalo hunting in 2022 - What would be the better choice in 375 H&H?

"a lot of time inside the Jessica (Jesse) I would disregard all other bullet construction and pick a monolithic solid right off the bat."
in cover.JPG

cover.JPG

@ Jaco
I have the same opinion today and always a few in my pocket

Last edited:
@Foxi the picture below are the remains of 5 factory loaded 500 gr 458 Lott Hornady DGS bullets recovered from a buffalo I shot in a very tight situation. There are only 4 because the 5th completely exploded on the shoulder. All 5 shots were very well placed. When I took these to Hornady they told me that they had a bonded bullet under development to address this problem. I don’t have an issue with them having a problem and correcting it. The issue I have is with the insistence that there was not a problem when there clearly was.

Image1642447286.481860.jpg

Now here is a TBBC from the same rifle into a buffalo at a similar distance. A clean one shot kill. This was a 500 gr bullet and still weighs 495 grains.

Image1642447517.048538.jpg

I’m glad you have had good luck with them. I hope the photos help you understand why some of us feel the way we do.

@Foxi the picture below are the remains of 5 factory loaded 500 gr 458 Lott Hornady DGS bullets recovered from a buffalo I shot in a very tight situation. There are only 4 because the 5th completely exploded on the shoulder. All 5 shots were very well placed. When I took these to Hornady they told me that they had a bonded bullet under development to address this problem. I don’t have an issue with them having a problem and correcting it. The issue I have is with the insistence that there was not a problem when there clearly was.

View attachment 447177

Now here is a TBBC from the same rifle into a buffalo at a similar distance. A clean one shot kill. This was a 500 gr bullet and still weighs 495 grains.

View attachment 447178

I’m glad you have had good luck with them. I hope the photos help you understand why some of us feel the way we do
are you sure that these were solids on the first pic ?
Sometimes DGX bullets are looking so.
You can see the steelcoat with the lead on the backside when you look on that(normaly at Hornady solid bullets).
Forgive me for my stupid question.
Solid backside.jpg

Question:

Cape Buffalo hunting in 2022. What would be the better choice in 375 H&H ?

Hornady Dangerous Game Series in 300 grain

Fed Premium Bear Claw in 250 grain.

I have plenty of both.

Thanks
Mike
I went on what was initially only a PG hunt to Free State and Limpopo this last July. I will readily admit that I am certainly not an expert on anything, but I did a TON of research regarding loads prior to my trip. When planning, the only loads I could source were the Hornady DGS and DGX, both in 300 grain. I had read many horror stories of the original DGX line, but also just as many positive experiences with the revamped bullet. Again, these were the only loads I could find prior to my trip, so that is what I practiced with and subsequently carried while hunting. I did not use the DGS on game, so I cannot attest to their effectiveness. However, everything that I shot (with the exception of several jackals and pigeons) was with the DGX. Again, I am no expert, but the bullets performed flawlessly.

As stated, this was initally a hunt for PG. Upon arrival at one of the camps, I was offered the chance at a buff, which after several days of hunting, I finally got an opportunity on. Initial shot was from about 20 yards. 1/3 up the close leg, right into the vitals. Upon recovery, the bullet mushroomed well, and held together (a major complaint against the initial DGX bullets). Penetration was all the way through, and it was buried into the hide on the off side. I have not weighed the slug, but I would be willing to bet that weight retention is somewhere in the 90%+ range.

Both the outfitter and PH were very well satisfied, and even impressed, with how this bullet performed. I am always tinkering with the idea of improving anything that can be improved upon, and as such, I asked what would be the best bullet I could shoot on future hunts. Outfitter and PH agreed that they would not hesitate hunting anything with this load.

I know that without an actual recovered weight this is purely anectdotal, but I hope this helps, or at least offers some insight.

Attachments

• IMG_0178.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 63
are you sure that these were solids on the first pic ?
Sometimes DGX bullets are looking so.
You can see the steelcoat with the lead on the backside when you look on that(normaly at Hornady solid bullets).
Forgive me for my stupid question.
View attachment 447182

Not stupid at all, you are right, they were DGX. You get my point even with my fat fingers.

I went on what was initially only a PG hunt to Free State and Limpopo this last July. I will readily admit that I am certainly not an expert on anything, but I did a TON of research regarding loads prior to my trip. When planning, the only loads I could source were the Hornady DGS and DGX, both in 300 grain. I had read many horror stories of the original DGX line, but also just as many positive experiences with the revamped bullet. Again, these were the only loads I could find prior to my trip, so that is what I practiced with and subsequently carried while hunting. I did not use the DGS on game, so I cannot attest to their effectiveness. However, everything that I shot (with the exception of several jackals and pigeons) was with the DGX. Again, I am no expert, but the bullets performed flawlessly.

As stated, this was initally a hunt for PG. Upon arrival at one of the camps, I was offered the chance at a buff, which after several days of hunting, I finally got an opportunity on. Initial shot was from about 20 yards. 1/3 up the close leg, right into the vitals. Upon recovery, the bullet mushroomed well, and held together (a major complaint against the initial DGX bullets). Penetration was all the way through, and it was buried into the hide on the off side. I have not weighed the slug, but I would be willing to bet that weight retention is somewhere in the 90%+ range.

Both the outfitter and PH were very well satisfied, and even impressed, with how this bullet performed. I am always tinkering with the idea of improving anything that can be improved upon, and as such, I asked what would be the best bullet I could shoot on future hunts. Outfitter and PH agreed that they would not hesitate hunting anything with this load.

I know that without an actual recovered weight this is purely anectdotal, but I hope this helps, or at least offers some insight.

Congrats on the buffalo! Don’t you just love it when a hunt morphs into something even better than you had planned?!

I’m glad the new ones seem to be working better. However, it’s still not a great mushroom compared to the TBBC pictured above with 99% weight retention.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win__

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you