Cape Buffalo hunt with Tam Safaris

I was always told by both my grandfathers and my father that is was total waste to shoot multiple shots if the first was a good one at Moose, Red deer, Reindeer and Roe deer as it would not kill the animal any faster :)

From my own experience I think they were right, but I don't know how it is with buffs.

Help me out here fellas. Muzzle braked rifle, ear plugs, unarmed woman? WTF kind of "hunt" is this?

A muzzle brake would not come close to my guns. They are an abomination in my opinion.
But when people use Muzzle brakes, I totally understand that everybody around want to use some sort of hearing protection.
I would take a unarmed or armed woman with me when hunting buffs any day :)
That goes for all sorts of hunting.

A woman that wants to share your passion for hunting is worth ten times more than her weight in gold :)

I was always told by both my grandfathers and my father that is was total waste to shoot multiple shots if the first was a good one at Moose, Red deer, Reindeer and Roe deer as it would not kill the animal any faster :)

From my own experience I think they were right, but I don't know how it is with buffs.

They must have been sharp shooters using .223 during the economic depression or war years. :)

I am fine with that theory when in the woods and I can not see where the animal went after I shot.
It's the ones in the open like this that get the bolt moving on my rifle.

I figure sneaking up on any animal and it does not know you are there at all and does not get any chance to get adrenaline going will facilitate a faster demise.

My first Eland took 400 grains in perfect boiler room shots and would not die.
800 more grains he was done 300 meters later.
I am sure the first two shots were lethal, but there was not enough bush to hide him from me.
So, the bolt started going.

I am sure with Buffalo everybody just wants it to stop moving.
Then there is no danger of having to go in that bush to find the result.

I am sure with Buffalo everybody just wants it to stop moving.
Then there is no danger of having to go in that bush to find the result.

I totally understand that when it comes to a buff that starts running after the first shot.
I would empty my magazine as well :)
With the knowledge that you risk other peoples health and life, you feel the responsibility to make the recovery of the buff as little exiting as possible.

If an animal we just shot is still standing (especially DG!) it should be shot again, and again if need be until it is down. Only some type of guru/swami of heightened awarness can tell "if that first shot was a good one" all the time. Putting more bullets into the animal certainly will kill it quicker! Keep shooting!

I agree, you keep shooting until the animal is down on the ground dead. It's not a game of saving bullets or arrows. Once you pull the trigger, end the animal's life ASAP. It's the only ethical thing to do. You will not waste much meat if you are hitting the lungs anyway.

When my buff ran off after the first shot and we ran up on him at about 30 - 35 yards before we noticed him hiding under a tree facing us I didn't mind putting 4 more 300 grainers into him until he quit moving. It just seemed like the right thing to do, for his sake and ours.

It sure looked like to me that shot #2 hit the dirt just short of the target.

There was a small rise that covered part of his chest, when he was down.

Two words... Ear inc. Ear protection and you hear everything around you... Nice part of it is that they fit it to your ear, and one does not hear the constant ping you usually get with hearing devices.

On the Buff the shot was needed, first shot hit slightly forward IMO going towards if not (in line past the opposite front shoulder) this very line creating spinal shock hence the rapid drop but still very much alive demeanor of this particular Buff a rapid approach right there into close quarters would have ended with serious excitement or tragic disaster.

Just off the video, the second shot was fumbled, you can hear the client almost uttering a cuss word... :)

Then the others.

In this case shot were warranted.

My best always.

......... a rapid approach right there into close quarters would have ended with serious excitement or tragic disaster.

or both.

Just off the video, the second shot was fumbled, you can hear the client almost uttering a cuss word... :)

Always good to have a video reply of the last goal. Did it go over the line or not. :)

or both.

Always good to have a video reply of the last goal. Did it go over the line or not. :)
Sorry brickburn fluffed would have been better :)

Sorry brickburn fluffed would have been better :)

You were bang on. A rapid approach would have lead to certain excitement along with that very likely disaster.
Just not mutually exclusive. :)

Good camera work as usual Gert .
Looking forward to our upcoming adventures now in April
:cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg