Cape Buffalo hunt with Tam Safaris

filmmaker

AH senior member
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia
Hi everyone, here's an abbreviated clip of a recent buffalo hunt with Tam Safaris. Amazing how much lead these buff's can absorb! Rifle used was 416 Weatherby.

Here's the clip. Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Gert

Nice camera work.

Liked the added slow motion :)

Hi Gert

Nice camera work.

Liked the added slow motion :)

Thanks. Slow motion is always part of it. Still amazes me how each animal reacts differently to the impact.

Very good camera work.

Help me out here fellas. Muzzle braked rifle, ear plugs, unarmed woman? WTF kind of "hunt" is this?

nice video, thanks for sharing.

Help me out here fellas. Muzzle braked rifle, ear plugs, unarmed woman? WTF kind of "hunt" is this?

I've seen the unarmed observers and camera men along on lots of Buffalo before... no concern.
Unarmed tracker's all the time.

I like my ears, so ear protection is not an issue.

I could certainly see that muzzle brake being an issue.

Looks like the kind of hunt someone wanted to do.

Buff hunt

I've seen the unarmed observers and camera men along on lots of Buffalo before... no concern.
Unarmed tracker's all the time.

I like my ears, so ear protection is not an issue.

I could certainly see that muzzle brake being an issue.

Looks like the kind of hunt someone wanted to do.

Just to set the record straight: Lady in question (client's wife) stayed about 500 yards behind with buff on the other side of the lake on the final stalk. With that .416 Weatherby, I guess you need a muzzle brake. I personally hate them (muzzle brakes, but do use a suppressor - they're legal here), but I think it sure beats getting the hell thumped out of you shoulder or eye, especially if you have a scope on it. Earplugs? We all LOVE ours ears. I permanently wear them while filming. Mine are actually special headphones that monitor audio through camera, but cuts out external sound. The video is very much abbreviated, and maybe creates the wrong impression with the lady arriving so soon after we shot the buff, but I have to cut scenes out to make the video short enough for YouTube so that everyone's not asleep by the time the client gets to the trophy :)

Thanks for the clarifications. This is my opinion and you know what they say about opinions. This is NOT to berate the OP but when I hunt I want to hear EVERYTHING. No earplugs, no headphones, no muffs. To me that's about safety and being able to hear the PH's instructions, calls about a possible dangerous situation, whispers while getting close, etc. As far as the brake, I use them for load development and not on the gun during a hunt. Because there may not be any control of where they are standing when I shoot, I would not inflict possible ear damage on anyone else along on the hunt, PHs, trackers, observers/cameramen or dogs. It's not like I'm going to be putting a box of ammo in the animal. One or two shots is not going to permanently damage one's physical being. As far as being thumped, what did we do BEFORE brakes? On doubles it's a non issue but with single barrels, they can easily be removed and with a couple shots, resighted for POI.

Under no circumstances do I conduct a dangerous game safari with more than 2 rifles, the client and my rifles are those two.

With my double I have a second tracker carry a back up bolt as a spare,which he can not operate.

To many firearms causes difficulty especially from a control perspective..... i have almost been plonked in the back by a 500 gr woodleigh and i prefer not to experience that again :) for obvious reasons :) :) :)

My best always

With my double I have a second tracker carry a back up bolt as a spare,which he can not operate.

My best always

jaco i presume he is more scared of you than what might be heading towards you if you ever need the spare? :bolt:

Spike now ain't that the truth :)

My best always

Under no circumstances do I conduct a dangerous game safari with more than 2 rifles, the client and my rifles are those two.

To many firearms causes difficulty especially from a control perspective..... i have almost been plonked in the back by a 500 gr woodleigh and i prefer not to experience that again :) for obvious reasons :) :) :)

My best always

Yip, I agree 100%. Almost got the same treatment about 7 days ago on a Cape Buffalo hunt. Almost getting drilled from behind is an overrated experience......

I had the bullet/muzzle blast from a 308 literary blow the cap of my head many years ago and I totally understand the concerns Jaco and Marius have.

Great bull.
Was the follow up shots really needed?
The first shot looked good to me and I guess they need a bit of time to die.

Great bull.
Was the follow up shots really needed?
The first shot looked good to me and I guess they need a bit of time to die.

They do take some time to die.
You don't usually get to watch an animal die (expire) if you shoot it with a rifle from a distance.
Typically, you sit and wait a few minutes and then follow up.

For me, I am distressed to see an animal dying and will shoot again until it is dead. Whether "required" or not.
Just me.

I totally understand that you get distressed by that BRICKBURN.
I just wonder how much it helps with multiple shots when the first is a good one.
If the adrenalin kicks in, they can live much longer.

I totally understand that you get distressed by that BRICKBURN.
I just wonder how much it helps with multiple shots when the first is a good one.
If the adrenalin kicks in, they can live much longer.

More likely medicine for the hunter to be doing something about it.
I just want maximum damage and hope (assume) it is causing a faster death.

In Moose and Elk hunting we were always told; "Don't stop shooting until it is down for keeps."

Probably everyones prefrence to wear ear plugs or not depends how soon deaf you want to become... Same goes for the muzzle break.....

About the unarmed woman i bet they new before the time there was going to be a river between them and the buff and even if they didnt know it , i have seen many unarmed people on hunts thats why you hunt and go into the bush at your own risk,,,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andresonjames29

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.