Cape buffalo hunt with a heart condition?

Hi there,

I have been to Africa once and I eager to return as soon as possible. Back in 2009 I visited the Eastern Cape for some plains game hunting. A year later twins arrived and I was stuck in the family situation. Anyway, I could really use some advice from locals and more experienced Africa hunters, since I now would like to try some big game hunting. My only problem is that I have a heart condition, and my physician have advised me to avoid sub-tropical areas with malaria. As far as I understand, that excludes Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, Namibia (Caprivi strip) and Tanzania. I am interested in the Cape buffalo but a non-trophy elephant (Tuscless, non-exportable or PAC) could also be of interest. I found some outfitters in RSA outside malaria area, but I would really love to hunt in a non-fenced area. What alternatives are there, if any?

As a backup I have the option of going to the NT Australia, but that's not a Cape buffalo.

I really appreciate any advice.
I understand your desire to hunt a buffalo as it’s an epic adventure. You will not likely find the large free range areas without malaria. My recommendation in your situation is to find the best, near free range, buffalo hunt on a game ranch in RSA. This way you have a good hunt and are safe.
Philip

Reactions: BWH
I am a physician and this is NOT medical advice.

We all are only going to get so many heartbeats. It is not up to me how my patients use theirs. It is my responsibility to give them the best possible information and let them run that through the filter of their own experiences, situation in life, and values to determine what is important to them.

Malaria is not coronavirus: you are not increasing anybody else's risk if you choose to expose yourself.

For what it is worth, I've been to the Caprivi in the dry season and there were no mosquitoes, at least none that bit me as far as I could tell. I had permethrin-treated clothing which I always wear anyway and DEET which I didn't use. I used my head net plenty for the flies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123winmarketing

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross