Cape buffalo bow-hunt arrow & BH set up

My buffalo setup last year was dialed in out to 50. I was using a standard 5 pin fixed sight. My pins were set 20, 30, 40, 45, 50
Sounds like a nice simple set up. I bet going down to 220 fps takes some getting used to. And your range had better be exact!

What kind of distance can you accurately shoot with the lower velocity of these heavy arrows? I assume you need a range finder and some kind of easily adjustable sight? I've done quite a bit of deer hunting with a bow in the past, but never shot much past 30 yards.

I am using a Garmin Xero Pro (rangefinder is integrated on the sight) sight. The furthest distance I get with this arrow weight is 56y. No issue at this distance with the accuracy but I am not planing to take the shot on a buffalo at this distance!
I hope I will have a shot opportunity below 30y

I am using a Garmin Xero Pro (rangefinder is integrated on the sight) sight. The furthest distance I get with this arrow weight is 56y. No issue at this distance with the accuracy but I am not planing to take the shot on a buffalo at this distance!
I hope I will have a shot opportunity below 30y
I watched a video this week, where a guy was shooting out to something like 70 yards on a wounded Buffalo. His first shot was said to be 40 yards, but once he got an arrow into the Buffalo, the buff just kept milling around with the herd. He then proceeded to shoot him 3 more times at 65-70 yards before the Buffalo went down. All shots were seemingly good shots in the vitals and penetration was good.

My set up was 73 pounds and 975 grain arrow and broadhead combo with 23% foc single bevel heads at 200fps with 20, 30, and 40 pins. 30 yard shot and only the lighted nock sticking out. Bull traveled 30 yards and went down in about 30 seconds after the shot.

Going for Cape buffalo in SA this year with my RX3 75lb - 31+ inch draw. Using the Victory VAP SS 250 with the Rachel treated S7 315gr Bishop SB.
I’ve seen other top brand heavy SB broadheads bend like a potato chip on Cape Buffalo so I went with the Bishop. I am very confident my Bishop BH will not bend.
I love and will be using my 150gr Iron Will solid wide DB with the same VAP SS 250 for smaller game.

Watching with interest. Buffalo is on my short list and will likely be on the menu on my next trip back.

Just got back from Zim, I had an amazing time.
I managed to get a bushbuck, an eland and a buffalo all on walk and stalk.
Hunting story to follow.
IMG_3270.jpg

IMG_3122.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross