Cape buffalo attacks PH. Son kills it with a KNIFE!!!

mrpoindexter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Asia/M.East
Member of
SCI, NFAA
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, UAE, California
This isn't my video. I will hold my tongue on what I think of the hunter with the 375 H&H that didn't shoot the buffalo killing his PH.

I would love to buy a beer for the PH's son though. What a STUD!

Amazing PH and his sons were great.

That PH was going to give his life for a client. A stupid, stupid client that was worthless when it came to prying that buff off his PH. He had a damn 375 and and a kid is forced to use a knife instead.

I don't know these people but I think they deserve some business. We already know they will put themselves between the client and the danger!

Amazing PH.

This happened a couple/few years ago, not the first time I've seen this footage. The original had a few more words for the client hunter. If I remember correctly that was the hunting season where a number of PH's got hit and some did not live.

I have no idea how that client froze with the PH screaming in pain like that. You got to do something.

I would have liked to have seen the original version with the client taking some well deserved verbal heat.

I wish it wasn't an advertisement for a knife?
Let's make money any way we can?

Yeah, but the video is from the knife company. If it was my company, you bet I would be putting that in an ad to sell knives.

Crazy video. Impressive courage to stab a buff to death.

Question though- PH says his son wad there to back him up. Why didn't his son have a gun if he's backup?

My son's and I have been using Cold Steel knives for over 25 years. They are one heck of a knife. The older knives were made from a proprietary steel called Carbon V. They hold their edge but are a bear to sharpen. We use their Master Hunter model. Just like I'm giving a Swedish Mauser to each of my grandkids, they are also getting a Cold Steel Carbon V Master Hunter. I have a number of expensive custom made knives by members of the American Knife Makers Guild, but none of them are as good. For a number of years these knives were only available on Ebay, since they were no longer offered by Cold Steel. The company retained the model but switched to a Stainless Steel called San Mai. IMHO no Stainless Steel can hold an edge like high carbon steel can. Cold Steel recently began offering a Carbon V version made from 4mm stock instead of the original 1/4". Like my beloved Swedish Mausers they are not expensive but they are (da...) good!

I seriously doubt the outfitter ever booked that client again. Probably a case of having more money than balls.

Wow! I cant understand how there were not other guns besides the clients and the lead PH's. Amazing job on the sons part

@reedy0312 you bring up a great point. This is dangerous game! Why not more guns? The more the better I say. On my Cape buffalo it was my 416 and two 375s. I also question why was the PH not also ready to shoot his weapon?

When I first saw this, I was wondering why the son just didn't take the client's gun and shoot the buff himself. The client clearly wasn't going to. Furthermore if the client went into something of a frozen mental state, I don't think I'd want him taking a shot at the buff with my dad in such close proximity.

I suspect the PH was not shooting the buff so as to not have a PH kill on the client's buffalo. While we could see it from the video now what happens when the PH doesn't down the animal, out there they might just have a client pissed the PH shot his bull and not realize the gravity of the situation. We couldn't see where the hunter was with his gun. For all we know, he was running away like Brave Sir Robin.

Perhaps there were not more guns because the PH had his two guns and had to rent one to the client, leaving his sons with a camera and a knife. I would think that makes the most sense, given the way this unfolded. Maybe the client using a borrowed gun ended up jamming it trying to reload in a panic? Bad news all around, but there was plenty of time to clear a jam and run up and down the buffalo if the hunter had 1/10 the balls the PH's son had.

When I first saw this, I was wondering why the son just didn't take the client's gun and shoot the buff himself. The client clearly wasn't going to. Furthermore if the client went into something of a frozen mental state, I don't think I'd want him taking a shot at the buff with my dad in such close proximity.
That's the other problem. If the client froze you may not want him taking the shot!

Amazing video. I don't get how a son could keep filming while his dad is getting gored / pummeled to death by a cape buffalo. Maybe the client did run away, but if the client and his gun was anywhere close, as a son, I would have dropped the camera and grabbed the rifle.

We don't know how old the other son was. For all we know, he might have been 10 years old. Or maybe his dad told him that no matter what, don't stop filming, since it was filmed for the client and given how he stepped in front of the buffalo, he likely instilled that same ethic into his kids.

We don't know how old the other son was. For all we know, he might have been 10 years old. Or maybe his dad told him that no matter what, don't stop filming, since it was filmed for the client and given how he stepped in front of the buffalo, he likely instilled that same ethic into his kids.

Yep I could see that regardless of the cameraman's age.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaeMorris

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross