Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Armstrong Fish and Game Club
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, British Colombia Ca.
So I had ( again, you would think I would learn) contracted a company in Canada to facilitate the export permit process for taking firearms out of the country. They screwed it up last time, I ended up doing the work at the last minute. This time they messed up twice, and finally getting concerned I was not receiving my permit to export ammo, I found the government guy dealing with my request, and asked him "how is it going..." to which he replied " so you are going to South Africa, are you going for Dangerous game or Plains game?" I knew I was in good hands. Then he asked "They have listed the scope as a Leupold VXS 1-5, that is most likely a VX5 right? And you most likely got Euro #4 reticle right? Sorry that was me, it doesn't matter..." I like this guy.
It was all sorted out in a few minutes, except for hunting talk.

Nice surprise isn't it!
He is the man!

Last edited:
Oh man... If only the BATFE were stocked with people like that. Unfortunately I think they are mostly brady campaign dropouts who know less about guns than my 2 year old who calls them "boom-boom sticks" (a phrase why wife taught her because she thought it would be cute.... it is).

I’ve always done it myself, it’s really easy, rifle permit emailed within a week, but the ammo and scope take longer. Serge who seems to be the guy that has done all mine is great to deal with.

Oh man... If only the BATFE were stocked with people like that. ............

I thankfully have the email for one of the staff at ATF and I have had zero issues for more than a decade if I email it directly to that individual. Maybe I found the ONE!

The first time that I went to get a 4457 here in the states the agent and I sat and BSed for over a hour about my upcoming hunt.

I went back a couple of years later and we spent the whole afternoon talking about my upcoming trip to South Africa.

There are some nice ones out there.

The guy in Ottawa is Serge. But don’t tell his bosses. The government seems to have little interest in helping people actually comply with the law.

I spoke with Serge, who is most helpful and completed the rifle permit, but the guy that did the ammo permit is Paulk Galveias. The folks that had submitted the permit for me had listed the CZ550 with a detachable magazine, he said "I know this is wrong, I have never seen a 550 with a detachable magazine". He is an avid hunter and knows his stuff regards firearms.

We can be lucky, folks like that we maintain contact, start by submitting a complimentary report on them to their bosses/supervisors. Costs us nothing, and gets them noticed.

Then we have two pleasant helpful folks in the same department. Good news.

The first time that I went to get a 4457 here in the states the agent and I sat and BSed for over a hour about my upcoming hunt.

I went back a couple of years later and we spent the whole afternoon talking about my upcoming trip to South Africa.

There are some nice ones out there.

Have had similar experience with the TSA/Homeland security folks in Kansas City. They are always helpful and want to know about the hunt.

We can be lucky, folks like that we maintain contact, start by submitting a complimentary report on them to their bosses/supervisors. Costs us nothing, and gets them noticed.
Good idea. Don't really want them promoted though...:)

This is Canada The Turd will have them fired for doing their job

It has been a smooth process both times, Serge was quick to get things rolling. Be advised they have changed the excol slightly and want it signed on return by customs.

It has been a smooth process both times, Serge was quick to get things rolling. Be advised they have changed the excol slightly and want it signed on return by customs.

It's hit and miss with a signature required. This is nothing new...we needed them back in 2009 but it seems about 50% have the requirement and 50% don't. Not sure how they decide.

Reactions: cls
good to know, maybe it's based on total value of goods

How far ahead do you need to apply?

They are valid for a year or two (if requested)
Don’t leave it to the last minute.
I have had it in hand within weeks and also within days.

Usually get the rifle permit within a couple of week, better to do it a couple of months ahead if possible, for your ammo and scopes they don’t send it out till a couple of weeks before you leave. As far as them signing it when you get back 95% of the agents do not know that they have to. Only once in 7 trips have they signed it without me telling them to.

Reactions: cls

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross