Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Nam, Zam, Zim,RSA (Eastern Cape & NW), Canada, NZ, Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY
I think I'll give this report the subtitle of "Dave's Wrongway Yukon Adventure." Since this website is primarily for Africa hunting info and since I actually live in Africa, I crossed the pond in the opposite direction for this hunt. But if hunting in the Yukon while living in Africa is wrong, I don't want to be right :)

I'm actually heading back to Nigeria today, so thought I'd get start on this report.

Hunt dates: Aug 10-22, 2016
Outfitter: Dickson Outfitters (http://www.dicksonoutfitters.com/ )
Guide: Rod Collin
Yukon Sheep Hunt 2016 234.JPG

Location: Concession #10, Yukon, Canada (http://www.yukonoutfitters.net/outfitter-directory )
Primary species hunted: Dall Sheep
Other species available: Moose, Black bear, Grizzley, Wolf

upload_2016-8-25_8-33-42.png

The Yukon Territory is about 2/3 the size of Texas and there are a grand total of 17 Outfitters and concessions. I looked over every single outfitter's websites and started making inquirings in late 2013. I was also taking to a few Alaskan outfitters too. After checking a bunch of references, in Jan 2014 I selected Dickson Outfitters and booked the second hunt of the season for 2016. A friend of mine also booked a hunt for the same week. Dickson typically only takes 2 hunters per hunt. One of the reasons I selected Dickson is the concession has been in the family for over 100 years, suggesting they are doing something right. Dave and Teena Dickson were always prompt in responding to my emails and made the entire hunt very easy.

More to follow later today.

Nice, look forward to the full report! Certainly on my bucket list for future hunts!

Great start and I am very excited to read all about it!

Love the sub-title. And looking forward to the report. Dall Sheep is on the bucket list.

I won't say Dall sheep hunting is a young person's hunt, but I will say you need to be in good shape. I workout regularly with a 50 lb weight vest, run without the vest and do some weights. I'm in my mid 50s and not getting any younger, so I figured I needed to get this bucket list item checked off.

I left Nigeria on Aug 1st and arrived Louisiana on Aug 2. I had been in Africa for 8 months, so I spent several days seeing relatives and friends, while pulling together my hunting gear and getting adjusted to the 6 hour time difference. I also got my CBP form 4457 completed, listing both the rifle and the scope.

The rifle I was taking on this hunt was a 270, a Remington 700 Titanium which weights about 5-1/2 lbs. I topped it with a Leupold 3.5x10. I replaced the factory trigger with a Timney. With the heat index in Louisiana around 100, I went to the local rifle range and shot about 10 shots and called it good.

On Aug 8th, I had a 530am flight to Houston, then went to Vancouver and finally to Whitehorse, Yukon. When I checked in and opened the rifle case, the United agent told me to remove the clothing items I had in the gun case. She said TSA is requiring guns only in the gun case. Wonder what they'd do for someone with a Tuffpack?

Clearing Canadien customs and immigration was quick and easy. Picked up my checked bag on carousel 35 and oversize bags (rifle cases) come off right next to it on 36. I then was directed to the other side of the baggage area to the cashier. I had my Canadien rifle import forms in triplicate (unsigned), signed them in front of the cashier and paid my fee ($35, as I recall). I then started to depart the baggage area and a Air Canada guy told me I could go directly to a domestic in-transit check in desk. Waited in a very short line for a very long time (30 mins) to be told, "Oh, you have a gun, you have to go out to the main check in and have the police check your gun." Back I went, not happy. Another agent though was very helpful and the policeman was cool. Got on the regional jet for the ~2 hr flight to Whitehorse, arriving around 530pm. Total travel time of 14 hours. Teena Dickson picked me up and took me to the Edgewater Hotel in downtown Whitehorse. The body of water being the Yukon River. My hunting buddy arrived on a later flight.

April 9th was a built in day to stay in Whitehorse, just in case a bag got lost or a flight delayed or missed. Luckily, everything went well and we had the day to checkout Whitehorse. Located on the Alaska Highway, Whitehorse seems to do a lot of summer tourism (summer being the last 2 weeks of July and the first week of August :whistle:). Lots of nice places to eat and drink and several museums and neat things to see. Whitehorse was a boomtown during the Klondike gold rush in the early 1900s. There is a real paddlewheel boat you can tour.

Aug 10, we head to sheep camp.

Enjoying the report. Looking forward to hearing more.

Sounds like the beginning of a great hunt. I can hardly wait for the rest. Bruce

I'm liking this report already! Keep it coming 375.

I downloaded my photos and need to mention a few more things about Whitehorse, before getting on the floatplane and heading to sheep camp:

One of the more famous charactiers from Whitehorse history was bankteller turn poet, Robert W. Service. If you never read any of his stuff, it's quite good and gives and a good description of life in a boomtown in the early 1900s. Poems like "The Quitter" (http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/the-quitter/ ), "The Shooting of Dan McGrew" (https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems-and-poets/poems/detail/45082) or "The Cremation of Sam McGee"

Johnny Cash version:

Yukon Sheep Hunt 2016 048.JPG

Yukon Sheep Hunt 2016 075.JPG

A few other tourist sites while in town:
The paddlewheel steamer "The Klondike" was an interesting tour.
Yukon Sheep Hunt 2016 066.JPG

Yukon Sheep Hunt 2016 086.JPG

Yukon Sheep Hunt 2016 072.JPG
Yukon Sheep Hunt 2016 073.JPG

Okay, so we're now ready to get on the floatplane and have a 2 hour flight to get to sheep camp.
Flight was with Alpine Aviation on a Cessna 206 Floatplane

Yukon Sheep Hunt 2016 089.JPG

View of the Yukon while flying to sheep camp

Yukon Sheep Hunt 2016 096.JPG

This is the dock and view from Dickson's Outfitting Sheep Camp

Yukon Sheep Hunt 2016 212.JPG

Last edited:
Wow, some great pics. The last 3 are stunning!

Cool photo of the dock. I hope you are enjoying dragging this out! It's killing me waiting to get to the hunting. :mad:

Great start to this report! I'm looking forward to hearing more and enjoying some more of your photos!

Thanks.

Okay..........onto hunting............

We arrived into sheep camp a little before noon. Since we were the second hunt of the season, I was expecting to meet two hunter departing from the first hunt. However, nobody was there to leave so the floatplane went out empty. One of the hunters from the first hunt bid on and drew a special sheep permit and got to hunt in the Kluane national preserve. I think he paid big bucks for this and took a trophy 176 ram. The other hunter did hunt out of sheep camp but after a few days was in agony with a dental issue and had to call it quits. The outfitter, Dave Dickson, offered him a do-over by allowing him to go home and get the dental work done and come back for the third hunt.

So we were introduced to the guides and wranglers and shown around the base camp. Several various log cabins structures, some new and some more on the rustic side. All in all, a very nice and comfortable spot with an incredible view of the lake and mountains.

SS850954.JPG

Some of the horses grazing. The horses were "hobbled", which is sort of like handcuffs on the front legs of a horse. They also get a collar with a cowbell. All this makes it easier to round them up.

SS850959.JPG

This was our cabin. We left most of our gear here and packed a smaller duffle for the trip to spike camp.

SS850962.JPG

This is the main cabin with kitchen and den. Outfitter Dave Dickson handled a lot of the cooking chores including making fresh pies from scratch.

SS850964.JPG

Outdoor laundry courtesy of Maytag and Honda. Inside this cabin was a stall shower and an on-demand hotwater heater.

SS850969.JPG

You'll notice the roofs look a little strange. They actually put a layer of dirt on top of the wood and metal roof to provide a little insulation. All cabins had a wood burning stove, however it wasn't all that cold during our stay. We had a fire just one morning in our cabin.

SS850968.JPG

This cabin was the supply cabin or pantry. Also a bit of a workshop. Note the large moose antlers. The red and blue boxes are pack boxes to go on the horses.

Yukon Sheep Hunt 2016 107.JPG

Getting the horses ready to head to spike camp.

After spending one night in the luxury of a log cabin, I was paired with a guide and wrangler and told what our hunt plan was going to be. We were heading to a spike camp about a 7 hour ride. However, the plan was to load all the pack boxes into an aluminum boat and for me to drive the boat to the other end of the ~6 mile long lake. The guide and wrangler would ride the horses and meet me there in about 2 hours. When I got to the end of the lake, one of the other boats was coming down the lake, bringing our lunches which were left behind. When that boat pulled up, the guy asked me if I saw the moose a couple hundred yards away and I had not. We went to get a glimpse but it was already gone. He said it was a small bull.

The guide and the wrangler arrived and we transferred all the pack boxes to the four pack horses. Mounted up and started the 5 hr ride. About half way, we stopped at one of the cabin spike camps and stretched the legs and ate lunch.

Yukon Sheep Hunt 2016 116.JPG

This is my hunting guide,Rod Collins. Rod was soft spoken, easy going and knew his business. Rod and I are the same age and he's been guiding in Alberta, BC and the Yukon all his adult life. Rod was "old school" with a plaid Filson wool vest and jacket. The leather chaps for protecting the legs while riding through some thick brush. Between the chaps and the hat, I could tell this wasn't Rod's first rodeo.

Yukon Sheep Hunt 2016 173.JPG

This was our spike camp. The wall tent was plenty big for the 3 of us and the cooking area was under the blue canopy. Breakfast was typically eggs, bacon (sliced from a large slab of bacon) hash browns toast and coffee. We'd pack our lunch and stay gone all day. It was about a 2 hour ride from this camp to where we actually hunted.

Yukon Sheep Hunt 2016 122.JPG

This green stuff looks like it would be easy hiking or riding but it wasn't. This was the "non-frozen tundra" and it was tough going. Very wet, boggy stuff.
Yukon Sheep Hunt 2016 125.JPG

Some of our horses. Well behaved and hard working!

Yukon Sheep Hunt 2016 127.JPG

Leaving the horses behind and starting to climb. I'm starting to breathe hard just typing this.

Yukon Sheep Hunt 2016 130.JPG

Yukon Sheep Hunt 2016 132.JPG

This rocky stuff isn't much fun to climb on either.

Yukon Sheep Hunt 2016 133.JPG

Yukon Sheep Hunt 2016 135.JPG

Rod glassing with his Swarovski scope. We were seeing lots of sheep this first day. We tried to get closer to a group of rams but another group of ewes and lambs was watching us and we couldn't do anything. If you look to the right hand side of this photo (above) and about half way from top to bottom, you'll see the edge of a small lake, just over the ridge. Our spike camp was just to the right of that. We could see our tent from this vantage point. It didn't look that far, but it was a hour hike back to the horses and then a 2 hour ride back to spike camp.

Yukon Sheep Hunt 2016 138.JPG
Yukon Sheep Hunt 2016 140.JPG
Yukon Sheep Hunt 2016 141.JPG

Rod doing some more glassing while my wrangler, 14 year Thomas Dickson, catches a nap.

Yukon Sheep Hunt 2016 147.JPG

On the next day, we rode up the same drainage, but went to the opposite side. We immediately spotted some sheep and started climbing. After climbing for about an hour, Rod climbed a bit higher and peeked over the ridge. He looked back at me and motioned for me to chamber a round in the rifle. I did so as quietly as possible. After about an hour of waiting and watching Rod glass them, Rod came hustling down and whispered that a group was headed this way. All 3 of us sat down against a rock cliff and remained motionless. One smallish but legal ram and two very young rams came walking by, about 30 yards from us. They grazed for about 5 minutes, looked straight at us and then walked off. About 10 minutes later, the same group came around from a different direction. As long as we remained motionless, they didn't seemed too concerned with us.

Once the youngsters left, Rod moved down and around some large rocks. I stayed close to him. We belly crawled across some rocks and then some tundra and got to where we had a good view of 6 rams. Rod rolled his jacket up to give me a shooting rest and I was in the rock solid prone position. Rod drew a little sketch in the dirt of the rams position and gave me a yardage of 230. The ram was standing with it's rear end pointed towards me, but very quickly turned and gave me a perfect broadside. I squeezed off a shot from the Remington 270 Winchester and the Hornady 130 gr SST did the job. The shot appeared to be a little low and a bit too far back, but it got the heart. The ram took 2 steps and dropped. I had my Dall Sheep!

Yukon Sheep Hunt 2016 160.JPG

The view of where I shot from and the white dot is my Dall sheep ram at 230 yards.

Yukon Sheep Hunt 2016 167.JPG

Right after I dropped the ram, it looked like we were going to get wet. Rain was coming in from across the valley.

Yukon Sheep Hunt 2016 171.JPG

A rainbow appearred as we were preparing to field dress the ram.

Yukon Sheep Hunt 2016 235.PNG

Estimated to be 9+ years old and a rough score of 150. The horns were broomed, meaning the tips had worn off. You lose a few inches, but it adds character.

Yukon Sheep Hunt 2016 176.JPG

The next day we took it easy in spike camp.

Yukon Sheep Hunt 2016 188.JPG

After spending a down day in spike camp, we packed up and prepared for the day long trip back to base camp.

Yukon Sheep Hunt 2016 194.JPG

Yukon Sheep Hunt 2016 196.JPG
Yukon Sheep Hunt 2016 197.JPG

Note that none of the pack horses are tied to another horse. They all just simply follow the horse in front of them.

Yukon Sheep Hunt 2016 213.JPG

Once back at camp, we went into moose hunting mode. Since the rut had not started yet, it was simply ride to a high vantage point and glass. The photo above are some small lakes about an hour ride from the main camp. Beyond the lakes is Alaska.

Yukon Sheep Hunt 2016 221.JPG

One day we jumped in a boat and went to the far end of the lake to sit and glass the shoreline. The shot above is sunrise.

Yukon Sheep Hunt 2016 238.JPG

A view of the main lake shoreline and the main camp.

Yukon Sheep Hunt 2016 240.JPG

Lake Trout for lunch

Yukon Sheep Hunt 2016 244.JPG

Really fresh fish.........

Yukon Sheep Hunt 2016 247.JPG

Dickson Outfitting has lots of good horses.

Yukon Sheep Hunt 2016 248.JPG

Our gear ready for the flight out of camp.

Yukon Sheep Hunt 2016 249.JPG

My hunting buddy, Scot, took a black bear (no extra trophy fee on black bear)

Yukon Sheep Hunt 2016 250.JPG

The jaw above is from Scot's 10+year ram. Teeth are in bad shape and this ram probably wouldn't have lived much longer.

Yukon Sheep Hunt 2016 251.JPG

My ram was 9+ years old and had much better teeth.

Yukon Sheep Hunt 2016 255.JPG

A De Havilland Beaver from Alpine Aviation bringing in 2 hunters and 2 observers for hunt #3.

Yukon Sheep Hunt 2016 260.JPG

A Cessna 206 from Alpine Aviation bringing in the hunter that had a dental issue during hunt #1 and had to leave. The Outfitter, Dave Dickson, was able to accommodate this hunter and allowed him to return for hunt #3.

Yukon Sheep Hunt 2016 262.JPG

Scot (R) and me (L) posing in front of the De Havilland Beaver, with the pilot in the background.

SS850953.JPG

This photo is a little out of order, but it shows the two guides, the two of us hunters and one of the wranglers, along with the two rams and one black bear hide.

FINALS COMMENTS.

Dall sheep hunts are an expensive and tough hunt. However, it it a very rewarding experience to0 and I am glad I did it. If you have a Dall on your bucket list, come prepared. Get in shape and you should also be comfortable with flying in a small plane and also riding horses.

Dickson Outfitters did a great job and I can highly recommend them. They know where the Dalls are and how to get to them. The only take about 6 sheep hunters a year and average 100% success rate. As mentioned at the beginning, this concession has been in the Dickson family for over 100 years. I plan to go back in a few years for a moose hunt during the rut. The run the moose hunts from a different camp, so it will give me a chance to see some more of the Yukon.

A few comments on hunting gear and misc details:

I wore Kenetrek Hard Scrabble Hikers (http://www.kenetrek.com/KENETREK-HARDSCRABBLE-HIKER/productinfo/KE-420-HK/ ) for this hunt and loved them. I've had them for about a year and they are a very comfortable and tough, non-insulated boot.

My daypack was a Eberlestock H2 Gunrunner (http://www.eberlestock.com/H2 Gunrunner.htm ). I liked the rifle scabbard feature on this pack and sizewise it was big enough to carry rain gear, lunch and water bottle, plus a few other items.

Hornady SST bullets: I continue to be impressed with the performance of these bullets. My daugher and I had 8 one shot killed on eastern cape PG in May and my Dall sheep was one and done. Good shooting and a good bullet are a deadly combination.

CBP Form 4457 (https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/CBP Form 4457_0.pdf)
When we flew out of Whitehorse, we flew to Vancouver and cleared US Customs there. It was really quick and easy. Our bags had been checked through to our final destination. CBP scanned our boarding pass and photos of my duffle bag and rifle case came up. The officer asked what was in the rifle case and I told him a rifle. He asked for the 4457 and I pull the original out of my wallet. I told him a copy was also in the gun case. He handed the form back and asked me about the hunt and then told me I was good to go and my bags were cleared for the final destination. Piece of cake.

Scot, my hunting buddy, was in a different line. The guy in front of him could not produce a Form 4457 (apparently didn't know he needed one) and CBP confiscated his rifle. Not a good way to end a hunt.

Last edited:
Fantastic report, thanks! Great photos too.

Congratulations on a great experience and beautiful ram. The age, the broomed tips, mass, etc. is just what I would want to have an opportunity to get if I'm able to do this hunt in a couple of years.

Saw your post elsewhere about the 50lb vest and again on this thread. Any suggestions as to manufacturer? I assume to you can remove weights and work up to the 50lbs? I use a 10 lb waste belt and 15 lbs in a day pack to get ready for Africa. I have an Eberlestock just on pack. When getting ready for New Zealand last year a loaded it up with 35 lbs. I like the idea of a vest for the workouts.

I have a V-Force weight vest. You can find them on Amazon or go to http://www.weightvest.com/ I recommend you get the sweat liner too. After the workout, you peel it off (it's all velcro connected to the vest) and give it a quick wash in a bucket of water and a little laundry detergent and hang it up to drip dry. I think between working out with the vest and doing lots of squats, my legs did not get tired or sore on this hunt. I did get winded, so adding some more running is what I'll do for another hunt like this.

Great report! Glad you will have fond memories of the Yukon. And a heck of a ram to bout.

Thank you for sharing.

R.

Very nice! Great pics and report. Congrats on the ram!

Incredibly beautiful country and having nice weather for your hunt of those gorgeous white sheep.

With worn chompers like that you sure got proof of some mature rams.

Glad you got it done and were prepared for the hunt.
It makes your time up high so much more enjoyable.

Thanks for sharing your hunt with us.

Great looking ram. Congratulations.

Good report. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross