Canada Travel Bans/ Restrictions

Yes, I believe you've got the gist of it.
One thing that you need to keep in mind, is that you need to budget another $2,000 plus to the cost of your your trip because that's what it's going to cost you for you to stay your three nights in quarantine at a government approved facility upon your return to Canada. Then you need to quarantine for 2 weeks afterwards, which you can do at home. (This is assuming your test comes back negative) So if you are retired, work from home, or are self-employed, then this may not be a big deal for you. But if you are like me where you are employed someplace then you would need to budget for an additional two weeks off of work.
If your test upon return turns out to be positive then you may be required to stay at a government approved facility until you are well. I have no idea what that would cost!
Thanks. Yes, good point about the detention centres.

I wonder what they'd think of a guest with a rifle in his room?... Fortunately I have family members with PALs who could take possession for me. But that's another consideration these days. Might tip in favour of just renting a rifle.

I hate Trudeau..... And Blair....... pretty much the entire Liberal Party......
Chinavirus is a wonderful thing! With it, you can swing elections, put the brakes on international hunting, the 1%er club's big pharma gets their sponsor $ back, et. al. ;)

Trudeau is on a mission to prove that his father is not the worst PM in the history of Canada!

@WAB It would seem that way. I doubt that's what he's actually trying to accomplish, but he's doing a bang up job at it nonetheless!

Pierre should have pulled out, or was that Fidel?
All joking aside. That coronavirus beard, and some age. He's looking more and more like his actual father. Like to the point where he may at one point in his life have to admit it.

So if I understand this correctly:
- Canadians can leave Canada, we just need to have a negative test within the specified time frame before boarding the flight
- There's a risk of difficulty in coming back if testing before we return is hard to arrange, and/or if some new government edict chokes off flights
- Then there's the quarantine stuff upon return
- Otherwise, if we can book a flight and a hunt, Canadians could hunt in the African countries that are open, right?

I'm seriously thinking of doing a PG hunt in RSA or Namibia this year, possibly soon if there's a good opportunity.
The quarantine stuff upon return is the real rub.

They can’t easily stop you from travelling, so they want to make it as unappealing as possible.ere is no scientific basis for requiring travellers who return by air to quarantine in a government-mandated internment hotel, while those who arrive by any other means are exempt from this. But that’s the rule.

An Op-Ed piece in the National Post had this to say this week about the restrictions on returning travellers:

The mania over foreign travellers is so obviously just a hot mess of class envy, recreational judgmentalism, paranoia and COVID cabin fever.

And:

The most disturbing aspect of the foreign traveller freakout, to my mind, has been watching smart people cheer on the government making people’s lives miserable for the crime of returning home. And all essentially for their own entertainment. It’s a terrifying instinct that can lead to some terrifying places.

As I noted above, I’m scheduled to go to South Africa in early April. My return flight first enters Canada in Montrial (I live in Calgary) so I will have to spend a few days in a hotel in Montreal until the COVID test I take upon arrival comes back negative. I won’t let that intimidate me. The rules then say if I test negative, I can continue on my way back to Calgary by air, and finish my 14 days of quarantine there.

I’m reliably informed that getting the required COVID test in South Africa to return to Canada is easy and straightforward. So whether I go or not depends on one factor only - will the airlines still be flying from Montreal to Doha and back. If not, I can’t change that, but if they are, I’m going.

Note I expect to be taking my rifle (so long as they give me the export permit). If someone has a problem with me having a rifle in a hotel room in Montreal, well, that’s their problem, not mine. There is no legal basis for taking my firearm from me in these circumstances.

I am lucky - mostly retired and the work I do I can do on the computer and Zoom. I’d suggest that it behooves those of us who can afford not to be intimidated, to travel. Someone has to show the government that we are not all sheep.

Last edited by a moderator:
The quarantine stuff upon return is the real rub.

They can’t easily stop you from travelling, so they want to make it as unappealing as possible.ere is no scientific basis for requiring travellers who return by air to quarantine in a government-mandated internment hotel, while those who arrive by any other means are exempt from this. But that’s the rule.

An Op-Ed piece in the National Post had this to say this week about the restrictions on returning travellers:

The mania over foreign travellers is so obviously just a hot mess of class envy, recreational judgmentalism, paranoia and COVID cabin fever.

And:

The most disturbing aspect of the foreign traveller freakout, to my mind, has been watching smart people cheer on the government making people’s lives miserable for the crime of returning home. And all essentially for their own entertainment. It’s a terrifying instinct that can lead to some terrifying places.

As I noted above, I’m scheduled to go to South Africa in early April. My return flight first enters Canada in Montrial (I live in Calgary) so I will have to spend a few days in a hotel in Montreal until the COVID test I take upon arrival comes back negative. I won’t let that intimidate me. The rules then say if I test negative, I can continue on my way back to Calgary by air, and finish my 14 days of quarantine there.

I’m reliably informed that getting the required COVID test in South Africa to return to Canada is easy and straightforward. So whether I go or not depends on one factor only - will the airlines still be flying from Montreal to Doha and back. If not, I can’t change that, but if they are, I’m going.

Note I expect to be taking my rifle (so long as they give me the export permit). If someone has a problem with me having a rifle in a hotel room in Montreal, well, that’s their problem, not mine. There is no legal basis for taking my firearm from me in these circumstances.

I am lucky - mostly retired and the work I do I can do on the computer and Zoom. I’d suggest that it behooves those of us who can afford not to be intimidated, to travel. Someone has to show the government that we are not all sheep.
Thanks, good points. Fortunately, I've been able to work from home/remotely and that would mitigate the time I need to take off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RamiroMcGu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg