Chago

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
I know right, Red Stag in Canada!!!

Well in a small town in Eastern Quebec, Canada(about a hour from Maine border) just 1.5 hour drive from Quebec City Airport. There is a outfitter who has figured it out! And is doing a great job at it. The property is absolutely stunning, with a small lake, surrounded by thick bush hunting ground. In the center of the lake sits a cabin, surrounded by elk and stags making their respective calls. When you enter the property you are sure to see animals, although don't let this fool you. Regardless of how plentiful the stag are, they are still incredibly difficult to hunt. As a matter of fact I went with bow in hand two years in a row. And ended up shooting with the rifle on the last day on both trips. And the guides were totally able to get me into bow range. But unfortunately the stags don't give you those opportunities for long, and I didn't want to make a bad shot. Simon Tanguay is the outfitters name, and he has some world class trophy's on his property. And it will save you the long flight to NZ.

I arrived with 3 other hunting buddies. We all got checked into our amazing lodge, which was by no stretch a hunting cabin. Rather a beautiful house. We were not short of any luxuries. Simon website is really outdated, so the pics you see on their site DO NOT reflect the current accommodations at all. They are very very nice.

The first morning we all separated with our individual PH and hunted with them for the duration of the 4 days. Everyone was successful on their hunt, and shot even larger animals then we hoped for. My PH was Jean Claude or JC. This guy is turning 70 years old this December, and he kicked my ass going up and down these mountains. Must be all the Maple Syrup or something. He got me into bow range on a few animals on the first few days. But like any good PH, he was not satisfied with me shooting just any red stag. He knew that there were much nicer and bigger trophy's out there. And had me wait it out. I had explained to him on the first day what my taste in stag rack was. And he knew he had many out there with that size and shape, and was not going to let me take a trophy I was not 100% satisfied with. I am so grateful that he dragged me through those woods, up and down the mountain, in pouring rain literally everyday. Because the final result could not have been a better one. If I was a artist (which I am 100% NOT) and you asked me to paint a picture of my dream stag. JC literally found it for me.

We were stalking one ridge, when JC spotted him to our right. We slowly took a couple steps back behind some cover. Where JC took a solid 5 minutes, which felt like 5 hours. Glassing this Stag. Like I said he wanted to make sure I would be happy. I sat there staring at this stag thinking, move out of the way old man I wanna shoot this stag, he is amazing LOL But of course his experience far exceeds mine and I waited for him to do his thing. When he finally left his glass and turned to me and gave me the thumbs up. I was pumped!!! Took the shot, he ran maybe 15 yards in a circle and went down. The boys all arrived and we had our post hunt pictures and of course..... beers.

You could see this guy was a warrior. Coat was pretty scarred up from some battles. Anyone who has seen Red Stag know they are very aggressive toward each other during the roar. He scored 443".

IMG-20191007-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20191007-WA0008.jpg
IMG-20191008-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20191007-WA0010.jpg

Fortunately for me I am only about a 11 hour drive away. So I took my trophy home with me to my local taxidermist.

IMG_20191010_173352.jpg

I should comment on the food and lodging. As mentioned the lodge was more of a house then anything. Bedrooms, bathrooms, amazing kitchen, central heating, satellite tv, wifi etc. Everyday we would eat breakfast, lunch and dinner at a small lodge nearby that was owned by the outfitter. We had a professional cook prepare all of our meals which were all great. The lodge had a nice fireplace to dry off all of our gear between hunts and for us all to warm up. Beer, wine, soft drinks etc all included were all premium grade stuff.

I would strongly recommend Roxton Falls to everyone looking to shoot either a Elk or a Stag. Save you a ton on travel and the trophy's they have are absolutely world class. I am already booked for next year.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have really enjoyed hunting there. Great stag you got. Any pics of those that your buddies hunted? How big is the property? Thanks for sharing.
Bruce

Sounds like you have really enjoyed hunting there. Great stag you got. Any pics of those that your buddies hunted? How big is the property? Thanks for sharing.
Bruce

I don't like posting other people's pics. I'll ask them if they are ok with it. The others all hunted elk. I was the only one after stag. The elk that were shot were some real amazing trophies as well. 3 scores were 373, 385 and 461. That last one was just enormous.

Land size I'm not sure. If I had to guess well over 1000 acres. I mean we hiked this place for days and didn't cover it. Plus in the middle as mentioned is a huge body of water. So it's got to be well over 1000 maybe 2000.

Your Stag is awesome!! Approximate pricing??

Just look up the guys name with red stag and you'll have it.
No pricing on the website.

https://www.roxtonfallswilderness.com/en/our-organization

Here is his website. The site is not up to date at all. Best would be to call simon directly. I can tell you he is very reasonable. He is very fair. You can pay for a package for a certain sized animal. And you always leave with some bonus points. He does not nickel and dime you over every inch. I left with 10"+ each time I've gone there for the same money. Which is why I keep going back.

I know for a fact. I researched hunting stags all throughout Europe, NZ and Argentina. The pricing could not even compare. Nevermind adding flights, shipping of taxidermy etc.

PM me if you wish I can offer some more insight on pricing.

Thanks for posting.............looks like a great place............certainly a fine stag...........FWB

Wow! That's a beauty! Thanks for posting. Definitely on my bucket list...

Simon’s place is 400 acres.

My wife hunted there accompanied by myself and our 2 children, 2 years old and 5 months old!!

We wanted to have a family hunting adventure out of the ordinary and had alot of fun and she had a hard hunt in November.

I don't like posting other people's pics. I'll ask them if they are ok with it. The others all hunted elk. I was the only one after stag. The elk that were shot were some real amazing trophies as well. 3 scores were 373, 385 and 461. That last one was just enormous.

Land size I'm not sure. If I had to guess well over 1000 acres. I mean we hiked this place for days and didn't cover it. Plus in the middle as mentioned is a huge body of water. So it's got to be well over 1000 maybe 2000.

Glad to hear such a nice review. My friend and I are going this October, assuming the border issues are resolved. I signed up for a 400pt stag ... doubtful I don’t go above that with some of the monsters they have running around.

If the guide tells you to shoot and the animal is larger than what you are paying for it is their mistake and no charge to you.

I’m Canadian and from what I am hearing the boarder will not be opening if the flu is still around.

No offence, but the politicians would be hung if they voted to open the boarder to the US

Glad to hear such a nice review. My friend and I are going this October, assuming the border issues are resolved. I signed up for a 400pt stag ... doubtful I don’t go above that with some of the monsters they have running around.

Ya that's too bad AES. Unfortunately I think you might be out of luck. With the rising cases in the us I doubt our criminal man child will open the border. Or he may actually do it to get everyone talking about it and not talk about the criminal investigation that's he is under right now.

Either way, Simon is a great guy and I know he will simply just push your hunt later. You can hunt out there right until Christmas. Honestly winter hunting there is even nicer. So hopefully by November this all blows over. I personally think corona is cured the day after the US election.

Canada really is one of the last "uncharted" wildernesses in the North American continent. That looks like a beautiful stag and a wonderful hunt! I went Walleye fishing in Quebec in Monet. 6 hours by train through the most deserted wilderness I have ever seen. One stopping at one village on the way. If you broke your leg, you would probably die before they could get you out of there. The outfitter also did moose hunts.

I am glad you had a great trip! Thanks for sharing! Canada has a lot to offer in terms of game and fortunately for me, it is only about 2 hours north... I may have to book a red stag hunt there... or caribou... after I do a moose in western Ontario.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg