CANADA: Mule Deer/Whitetail Combo Alberta

Here are two bucks just south of Sundre that I saw today.

They were sizing each other up a bit. I think the first guy will trample his little contender if it came to it.
IMG_0308.jpg

IMG_0309.jpg
IMG_0310.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg
IMG_0313.jpg

Good luck. I hope you get the buck you are looking for.

We saw quite a few deer today despite the crappy weather early in the day. Multiple coyotea, 7 moose. We are going to hunt a different area near cremona tommorow. There is about a 170" buck that my guide figures is only 3.5 that lives in a standing wheat field that we cant hunt in at the moment. Supper tonight was lasagna, salad, garlic bread and a great dessert.

We saw quite a few deer today despite the crappy weather early in the day. Multiple coyotea, 7 moose. We are going to hunt a different area near cremona tommorow. There is about a 170" buck that my guide figures is only 3.5 that lives in a standing wheat field that we cant hunt in at the moment. Supper tonight was lasagna, salad, garlic bread and a great dessert.

Look for these Mule Deer as you are going to be moving into the neighbourhood.
The new snow in the area should help.

Good luck.

What temperatures are you hunting in?
It sounds like they are feeding you well! You better do some walking to work some of that off:LOL:!

Hey guys. So the buck that we had been watching (170-180 4x4 typical) got poached lastnight (tuesday the 5th) near Carstairs. @BRICKBURN if you hear of anything let me know. PM me and i can send you a map of where the buck was. So this afternoon we spotted 6 different bucks and 1 moose near each ther and decide to stalk in to see what the biggest buck was. Younger 4x4 that will be a stud next year. Head to a different area and find 2 real big bucks at the top of a river bottom but we dont have permission there so we move on. We head to a different area and spot a real nice 160" class buck and decide to get ahead of him. Spot a guy sitting beside the road and chat with him for a minute and just like that there goes this buck running by..another missed opportunity. With that we continue on and spot a old mature super heavy buck and decide to cut him off. Scott and myself walk into the trees to see what alls in there while Mike drives around to spot for us. The heavy buck runs out about 700yd away...too far for me. We get back to the truck and head down the road since we have about an hour of lega light left. We spot a small buck and 2 does then spot mr heavy walking down into the same group of trees. I manage to get out of the truck and take a shot, seems to be a little far back but hes hobbing along so i shoot 2x more before we lose sight of him. Scott and i go in after him and find very little blood but follow his tracks for about 125yd before i spot the buck bedded at about 50yd. The buck jumps up i shoot and miss, cycle the bolt shoot again and he drops over a hill and i lose sight of him but then see him going into the trees on the other side about 70yd away and he stops in a clearing quartering away so i shoot and he drops. We get some pictures and try dragging him up hill....ya right...we dont get very far before we decide to call Mike and have him meet us down in the valley. Mike comes down and we bone the buck out by the light of flashlights while watching out for coyotes and bears. Get the deer boned out and start the all uphill trek about 175yd to the truck...we made it in 1 trip. Scotts friend shot a 190 class whitetail this afternoon as well...WHAT A BUCK. This mule deer is my first and i am very happy with an old buck like him, i still have a whitetail tag and 1 day to hunt so with any luck at all.....

A better view of how big this buck is. Notice the extra points and insane mass. I know he wont score super high but hes cool looking, he will turn into a shouder mount by my taxidermist back in ontario

20191106_185356.jpg
20191106_223742.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic! Good for you! Congratulations! I hate hearing about poachers taking these animals. It really chaps my ass! I'm glad you got a Mulie you're happy with and I wish you luck on your Whitetail.

What temperatures are you hunting in?
It sounds like they are feeding you well! You better do some walking to work some of that off:LOL:!

Felt like -19 today but it is supposed to warm up to 4° tommorow. All this snow will melt and it will be mud up to your eyeballs haha

Congratulations on a massive antlered old mulie! Those are really heavy!

Congratulations on getting the job done.

Poaching quality bucks seems to happen everywhere. Sad.
Frustrating when its a buck you are watching.

I'll send a PM.

Very cool looking buck!congratulations!

Nice buck. Great mass. Congrats on getting a deer your happy with. Really thats all that matters. Sucks about the poached deer. All too common...
Bruce

W375.................congrats on a heavy mature deer. beautiful. Long, spindly antlers may score better, but I think you have a better trophy............thanks for posting....looking fwd to some WT fotos.................FWB

Well done on the Mulie, good luck on the whitetail.

No luck on the whitetail unfortunatly but it is what it is. Made it home without any hassles flying with meat,cape,antlers and rifle, security and other staff at calgary airport all professional and helpful. My taxidermist was pleased with the caping job and figures the mount should be ready by early febuary. Cooked up some backstraps yesterday and they were very good, a little chewy but tasted more like steak. Im going to get some of the trim ground up and may make some into frying sausage. Now to save up for the next hunt...ive got a few on the list to choose from haha.

It's too bad that you didn't get a Whitetail as well, but as long as you had fun that's the main thing!

Ya i had a good time for sure. Im looking into saskatchewan whitetail hunts or going back for another mule deer in a couple years...either way i have to put some hours in at work haha.

Is it quite expensive?
Did they put you onto any Whitey's that you turned down? Or was there simply no opportunity? They can be quite elusive for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinayzi

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you