CANADA: Mountain Goat 2021 - British Columbia Trophy Mountain Outfitters

GA Hunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
A couple of weeks ago I received an email from Andre with BCTMO. The intent of his message was to try to bait me into agreeing to go on my first ever mountain hunt with only 30 days notice. Of course he was successful and I’m left here wondering if I’ve left my senses. Wondering how these flatlander legs and sea level lungs of mine are going handle 7 days of chasing goats between 5 and 10 thousand feet of elevation. Wish me luck gang. It’ll be an adventure one way or another.

BD

Good luck, embrace the high altitude suck!

Best of luck. I love altitude and mountain goat hunting. Glad hunters are getting into Canada again. Please post a few photos down the road. Thanks!

I didn't look at his web site but where is he located at in BC?

When I was hunting grizzly's in BC most of the hills were only around 9,000-9500 feet high and the valleys were only around 1000' lower.

But start stair climbing now, no matter how little time you have the better shape that your legs are in the better.

Also be aware of altitude sickness, it can happen at those elevations. If you can get there a day or two early and hang out in a hotel with some walks. Leave the booze alone and drink lots of water. Take some plain old aspirin to help if you get any headaches. But the big thing is to take it easy until you get acclimated.

I didn't look at his web site but where is he located at in BC?

When I was hunting grizzly's in BC most of the hills were only around 9,000-9500 feet high and the valleys were only around 1000' lower.

But start stair climbing now, no matter how little time you have the better shape that your legs are in the better.

Also be aware of altitude sickness, it can happen at those elevations. If you can get there a day or two early and hang out in a hotel with some walks. Leave the booze alone and drink lots of water. Take some plain old aspirin to help if you get any headaches. But the big thing is to take it easy until you get acclimated.

The closest town is Lillooet and the area they are in is referred to as Chilcotin.

Thanks for the fitness advice. I started hiking with a weighted pack and stair climbing immediately after booking the hunt. I walk a great deal as part of my normal fitness routine. I’m trying to stress my legs as much as possible leading up to this. I suspect I’ll be suffering no matter what I do but that’ll be part of the experience.

I’ve also contacted my doctor and gotten meds for altitude sickness. I’ve had a mild case of it when at altitude. Better safe than sorry.

BD

GA Hunter, I wish you luck buddy. For sure you are going to hurt. Contact "375 Ruger Fan" a few months back he hunted under circumstances similar to what you are contemplating. Maybe he can give you some tips.

Just one step after the next! They'll look after you I'm sure and set the pace accordingly.

Enjoy BC. I know I sure do living here

Hunted there very successfully for bear and mule deer. Andre and Kevan are great people. It is in the Bridge River drainage of the Chilcotin Mountains. Terrain so steep that if you get tired you can just lean against it. :oops: Took a truly monstrous black bear there a few years ago, but failed on mountain goat. Only had two days that we could hunt due to weather. It happens. Best of luck!!

BC Boar and Sako Arctos in 9.3x62

GA Hunter, I wish you luck buddy. For sure you are going to hurt. Contact "375 Ruger Fan" a few months back he hunted under circumstances similar to what you are contemplating. Maybe he can give you some tips.

We’ve spoken about them in the past and I believe you may have been the one that originally referred me to them a few years back when I first started looking for a bear hunt. One of the statements you made was that it was some of the most vertical terrain you had ever seen.

I’ll have tags for goat, bear, and wolf but of course the goat will be the focus of the hunt.

I’d love to hear about your packing list for the goat hunt….

BD

Sorry GA Hunter, you must have spoken with someone else. I can barely walk on flat ground let alone hills. LOL Have a good day.

The closest town is Lillooet and the area they are in is referred to as Chilcotin.

Thanks for the fitness advice. I started hiking with a weighted pack and stair climbing immediately after booking the hunt. I walk a great deal as part of my normal fitness routine. I’m trying to stress my legs as much as possible leading up to this. I suspect I’ll be suffering no matter what I do but that’ll be part of the experience.

I’ve also contacted my doctor and gotten meds for altitude sickness. I’ve had a mild case of it when at altitude. Better safe than sorry.

BD
Altitude likely won't be a problem. These are coastal mountains, so though they are steep and a long way up from the trail head, the starting point is a lot lower than the typical hunt in the Rockies. Find a stair climber. The issue will be your knees and thighs driving upward and your knees and feet going down. Obviously, first quality well fitting boots are critical.

1. Stairmaster with weighted vest or backpack
2. Squats with a weight bar.
3. Prayer

Good luck @GA Hunter and looking forward to the report.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorginaAr

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!