Canada moose hunt recommendations

I went to newfoundland several years ago moose hunting. Hunt was 4k at the time. Got a small one but totally happy.
At that time they had raised the caribou price to 11k due to dwindling numbers. Not sure if that situation has changed. They told me a few years before they threw them in as an add on for 1k

I priced around this spring and that is the going rate, after the Quebec camps closed the price skyrocketed.

That is the plan, my only hang up at present is finding homecare for father while I'm in Newfoundland. It is currently hard to make arrangements due to covid. I may have to delay until next spring depending on what arrengments I can make for father. Matt was kind enough to offer that as an option. The original plan was to bring father but his health has deteriorated sense then.
Hunting aside, good on you for looking after your Dad.

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts about Manitoba for moose. I talked to a outfit there that sounds interesting.

I had a great hunt last fall (November) with @goathunter7 in BC. It was a combo goat/moose hunt. I didn't get a moose but that was due to circumstances not in his control (bad timing and I screwed up day on the goat so burned another 5 days, then weather did not cooperate) and the goat was the primary which was the best North American hunt I'v had. He is very professional and works very hard to deliver. I know he has much better moose areas during the prime season (fly in). Again I was not signed up for that so no direct experience with those areas. But the important thing I want to share is that the man is genuine, hard working, and honest. The areas are beautiful and I actually drove up through Banff National Park in November. That was a great experience to see it that time of year;)

Anyone want to do a mountain goat hunt? Brian is your man to find great big goats at reasonable altitudes. and he loves hunting them and knows his business. He has a fantastic area for goats.

Back in 2016 I did a spring bear hunt with Liard River outfitters in Northern BC. I think he is a couple thousand more for moose, farther North is supposed to equal bigger moose. Jeff is a good honest outfitter as well but I'd ask to hunt with one of the younger guides and get out to a remote cabin. Jeff uses ATV's to access his spike camps. Again, I never saw those areas as it wasn't the season.

I would highly recommend his spring black bear hunts with dogs if you want to do it with a top dog pack (a different Brian) and have a high octane spring chase! If you want to drive around spot and stalk style, and see lots of bears, including some grizzly, Jeff will show you just that.

Being a resident I would see if a hunt is even possible with the Covid BS. Lots of summer/fall tourism ideas have already been closed. BC sites have threads from Outfitters and they would have updated probabilities better than I. Understand that our moose populations have drastically reduced over the last 10 years. Areas we usually saw 20+ animals, now maybe lucky for 1 opportunity. Many outfitters are not booking moose for this reason. If you are open to other options BC black bears are doing very well, this could also be done earlier in 2021 when some normally may have returned. All methods of take except baiting, see animals daily and choose the area, color and style hunt you want. All for less than a moose hunt. Just a resident perspective.

HM

Hunting aside, good on you for looking after your Dad.
@Rick Cox
I haven't met Skinnersblade personally but have been PMing him for quite some time.
He is a very knowledgeable young fella that's not afraid to ask questions. He h as a,deep respect and love for his father and does all he can for him, he also has respect for his elders a rare thing in younger people now.
He is a young m an his father should be very proud of.
That is my opinion of young Skinnersblade.
Bob

I have a hunt booked with Art Ryan at Mountain Top Outfitters in Newfoundland for September 2020. I'm not at all certain Canada will open up by then, so I'm giving my chances about 60/40 of it not happening. Art promised that if the hunt doesn't happen because of the COVID bs, he will return deposits. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I have a hunt booked with Art Ryan at Mountain Top Outfitters in Newfoundland for September 2020. I'm not at all certain Canada will open up by then, so I'm giving my chances about 60/40 of it not happening. Art promised that if the hunt doesn't happen because of the COVID bs, he will return deposits. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

If there is a possibility of a reschedule for the next year at the same or reduced price, take it!!!!

Being a resident I would see if a hunt is even possible with the Covid BS. Lots of summer/fall tourism ideas have already been closed. BC sites have threads from Outfitters and they would have updated probabilities better than I. Understand that our moose populations have drastically reduced over the last 10 years. Areas we usually saw 20+ animals, now maybe lucky for 1 opportunity. Many outfitters are not booking moose for this reason. If you are open to other options BC black bears are doing very well, this could also be done earlier in 2021 when some normally may have returned. All methods of take except baiting, see animals daily and choose the area, color and style hunt you want. All for less than a moose hunt. Just a resident perspective.

HM
My wife and I were booked on a week long guided sea-kayak trip in the Broken Island Group off Vancouver Island - cancelled. But we got our money back.
Outside of hunting in Africa I have never been on a guided anything, but being a died-in-the-wool landlubber it seemed prudent...

My wife and I were booked on a week long guided sea-kayak trip in the Broken Island Group off Vancouver Island - cancelled. But we got our money back.
Outside of hunting in Africa I have never been on a guided anything, but being a died-in-the-wool landlubber it seemed prudent...
This Covid crap has really hurt tons of opportunities. Sucks that you will not be visiting island, postpone till after Covid. I wonder what all the uncertainly will do to my annual fall 2 month BC safari. Love the Gov site Covid warnings concerning LEH, tags, seasons and no returns of funds, seams many would rather use fear than facts. Have done an Alberta guided whitetail, that was fun, big deer and lots to "pick" from. Hope the OP has a BC moose hunt limned up, not sure how long these will be allowed.

MB

Saw a lot of moose while on my stone sheep hunt in northern BC with Art and Quintin Thompson of Gundahoo River Outfitters. PM me if you want their contact info.

Saw a lot of moose while on my stone sheep hunt in northern BC with Art and Quintin Thompson of Gundahoo River Outfitters. PM me if you want their contact info.
Recent moose study said that higher densities are found away from accessible areas, after wolves "unregulated harvest" was #2 on causes of moose death rates. Sad state we are in. Seen a couple good reports on company you used, even saw them on a TV show last week. Still lucky to be a resident.

MB

For a non-resident alien to hunt in Canada, do you need to hire a commercial outfitter or can you hunt with a Canadian hunter? Do you need outfitter for duck hunting?

For a non-resident alien to hunt in Canada, do you need to hire a commercial outfitter or can you hunt with a Canadian hunter? Do you need outfitter for duck hunting?

The hunter would require a guide license, the only exception to too that would be if you were family. That is for large game, I'm not sure for ducks as they under the migratory game act and federal instead of provincial.

Each province has different laws. Typically, you will require a guide/Outfitter for any large game hunting and some jurisdictions will require a guide for bird hunting.
There are a few very restrictive circumstances where a local can take a close friend or relative, often on a once off basis.
Check the local jurisdiction you plan to hunt.

You can hunt birds in Alberta and Saskatchewan without a guide. But the border is locked down until Aug 21st at this time.

The hunter would require a guide license, the only exception to too that would be if you were family. That is for large game, I'm not sure for ducks as they under the migratory game act and federal instead of provincial.
Each province has different laws. Typically, you will require a guide/Outfitter for any large game hunting and some jurisdictions will require a guide for bird hunting.
There are a few very restrictive circumstances where a local can take a close friend or relative, often on a once off basis.
Check the local jurisdiction you plan to hunt.
You can hunt birds in Alberta and Saskatchewan without a guide. But the border is locked down until Aug 21st at this time.
Thank you for your kind answers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg