Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
Zimbabwe,Namibia, South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Saturday morning will take a drive out to the brand new Kansas City Airport and travel to Edmonton Alberta. Black bear with color phase opportunity will be on the menu and Sherwood Outfitters will be my hosts. I bought this hunt last year at auction from my Kansas City Chapter of Safari Club international. This is a seven day hunt out of a remote tent camp set up and I am stoked. My good friend and AH member @Art Lambart II went with me to the range to dial in my trusty Ruger #1 in 375 H&H and it is already locked in the case. Traveling via Denver on United Airlines for this trip and all arrangements were made by Travel With Guns out of Texas. If anybody has any tips for traveling United with guns please chime in. Also tips on entering Canada with a firearm. I have the proper form filled out and am told that getting that declaration approved is pretty simple upon arrival.
So stay tuned for the trip and hunt report.

I hope you’re not packing a parka, we will be in the 80’s next week.

Good luck with the hunt. It's supposed to be in the mid to high 20C range for the next week or so in the Edmonton area. Thought you might want to know that North of Edmonton has high to extreme forest fire hazard conditions at present. Might want to check in with your outfitter.

Lots of forest fires. I hope your Outfitter is no where near them.
Good luck.

From my experience last year, entry was a non issue. (I was traveling with a bow but watched dozens others with rifles and no issues or delays from any) However, make damn sure on your return you have plenty of extra time. You should be good if Edmonton is your port of exit, and not connecting through Toronto or Vancouver. I watched a dozen guys traveling with rifles miss various connections through Toronto while I waited around for someone to locate my two missing bear hides. Best tip, place an Air Tag in each and every bag you have. Gear, weapon, and hides. While I eventually got home with my weapon, hides arrived 2 days later already slipping and my gear/clothes bag was never found.

Good luck on your trip! Canada has always been amazing for me. Getting approved is super easy.
I've only flown once but no problems at all. They checked the rifle quickly paid the fee and kept moving.
Getting back in has always taken more time whether flying or driving. As mentioned Toronto took forever but still no problems.
Driving I have never had my rifle looked at going in or out. Just approved the paperwork without even looking at the rifle.
Toronto demanded the 4457 coming back while flying by I've never been asked for it when driving. Not sure why.
Anyway have a great time the people are all super friendly.

I've been through Vancouver twice and it wasn't bad. Have the Canadien forms filled out but not signed. After collecting your bag and gun case, you go to another place within the baggage area. Pay the fee, sign the forms and I doubt they even make you open the gun case.

On your return trip, you will clear US customs in the Canada. So have your 4457 handy.

I hope you’re not packing a parka, we will be in the 80’s next week.
Well I just took my insulated coveralls out of the case as I will not need them with the projected temperatures.

Hi CAustin,

I travel United Airlines or Star Alliance partners on all my hunts around the globe. The main reason is I have high status and a lot of miles on United. I have never had a problem checking firearms or ammo and to date they have never lost my bags and I have never had the guns or ammo not arrive on time. Knock on wood! There has been 1 or 2 times that one of my other luggage items was a few days late arriving.

Good luck on your hunt. I have hunted black bears with all of my 3 kids on several different occasions in British Columbia and it was always a great hunt.

I hope the forest fires do not cause you any problems.

@CAustin the new terminal building looks good!

Haven’t been inside yet….just picked up J Alain Smith for SCI Banquet at the curb. It has to be better than the old set up that before retirement I was in two days a week.

Lots of forest fires. I hope your Outfitter is no where near them.
Good luck.
Thanks! I just sent an email to outfitter so hoping for quick reply.

Charlie, good luck on your hunt, I look foward to hearing all about it when you get back to KC.

Be Safe and Shoot Straight,

Haven’t been inside yet….just picked up J Alain Smith for SCI Banquet at the curb. It has to be better than the old set up that before retirement I was in two days a week.
Well now that has to be fun:) Sounds like a fun day ahead!

Have a blast on the hunt Charlie! Best of luck! Can you take 2 bears?

Good news the outfitter has replied that there are no fires in the hunting area. Let’s hope it stays that way. Looks like it is going to be hot.

Charlie, good luck on your hunt, I look foward to hearing all about it when you get back to KC.

Be Safe and Shoot Straight,
Thanks Art and thank you for the day at the range.

Well now that has to be fun:) Sounds like a fun day ahead!

Have a blast on the hunt Charlie! Best of luck! Can you take 2 bears?
Thank you Bob. Yes sir two bears and a wolf if one presents itself. Give my regards to @Just Gina

Sounds like a fun trip. That is a nice part of the world. I’m sure you already know this but the mosquitos and biting flies will be out in abundance so make sure you have a good plan for dewing with that. Good luck and looking forward to the pictures and hit report once you get your bears.

I don't know about the skeeters and flies, when I went up to BC at the end of May a number of years ago for a bear hunt I didn't see a single one. But then it rained 9 out of 10 days and I lived in my rain gear.

If you haven't been you should have a great time. Is it over bait or spot and stalk? My hunt in BC was spot and stalk and my main animal was a grizzly but we only saw a single one at close to 600 yards and I just didn't want to risk a shot. But we did see a number of jet black black bears and I screwed up and shot a younger one instead of the bear that chased it out of the woods.

My experience with Canadian Customs was on the sour side. I drove up and crossed just north of Eureka, Montana. I told the agent that I had a rifle with me and where it was located at. He had me pull into the inspection area and wait inside as they tore my truck apart along with my bags that I had packed for a 23 mile horse pack in. Two hours later they were finished and I signed the rifle form, paid my fee and I was on my way. I had to completely repack everything since I had packed so that the weight was distributed between the two bags. They just stuffed my gear back into which ever bag was close.

Have a great hunt, can't wait for the report.

Have a great hunt Charlie.

All the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross