AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, FMFG
Hunted
Canada (BC, AB), RSA (Limpopo), RSA (KwaZulu-Natal)
Let me apologize up front if this has already been covered but my "search-fu" is not strong.

I am have run into a small situation with the SA permit requirements for firearm proof of ownership. In Canada we used to have a long gun registry that provided us with a registration certificate for each firearm we owned. Recently the long-gun (non-restricted) portion of this program was abolished. The firearm I am taking was made for me after the registry was scrapped hence no registration certificate.

It has been suggested by the outfit that is going to arrange my permits that I get a copy of the invoice signed and notarized by the police to "certify" the document. I have the invoice however after speaking with both the Canadian Firearms Center and our local police detachment they are unable and unwilling to do this.

Has anyone run into this and if so will a copy of the original invoice with all my details and the details of the rifle suffice being "un-certified"?

Any insight would be helpful.

-Johnny

You need to get a Temporary Export Permit, you need this to take a firearm out of Canada. It also works as a Proof of Ownership. Takes 1-2 weeks for the firearm, but takes 3-4 longer for ammo and scope. Google Firearms export Canada, or try EXCOL on the Canada web site. You can do it through the website.

I know for me it is as easy as stopping off at the border, go on into the customs on the Canadian side, fill out the paperwork to prove ownership and its done. I have done this years ago for when heading on hunts down south, for not just guns but camera gear as well, just shows that it wasn't bought while away as they need serial number ect. I will be doing the same soon as I had to mail my guns out to where my property is to avoid any border issues and after a few trips back and forth I asked what I can do different
good luck with the gun info

I know for me it is as easy as stopping off at the border, go on into the customs on the Canadian side, fill out the paperwork to prove ownership and its done. I have done this years ago for when heading on hunts down south, for not just guns but camera gear as well, just shows that it wasn't bought while away as they need serial number ect. I will be doing the same soon as I had to mail my guns out to where my property is to avoid any border issues and after a few trips back and forth I asked what I can do different
good luck with the gun info

That form will prove you bought the firearm here, but..

FYI,
Going into the USA from Canada is the only country where you, as a Canadian citizen gun owner, do not have to acquire an export permit from the Canadian government. Anywhere else, you best get the paperwork.

You will require a 6NIA form from the ATF to temporarily import your firearm into the USA now. Warning, don't head into the USA without it.

Getting the proof of ownership form you suggest will not meet your legal obligation for temporary export of a firearm for heading to Africa.

That form will prove you bought the firearm here, but..

FYI,
Going into the USA from Canada is the only country where you, as a Canadian citizen gun owner, do not have to acquire an export permit from the Canadian government. Anywhere else, you best get the paperwork.

You will require a 6NIA form from the ATF to temporarily import your firearm into the USA now. Warning, don't head intot the USA without it.

Getting the proof of ownership form you suggest will not meet your legal obligation for temporary export of a firearm for heading to Africa.

Brickburn is 100% right different rules for the US, then the rest of the world. The permit is free and takes 10 minutes to fill out the form. Not worth the trouble you can get into for not having it, so get it

Thank for all the replies fellas. I think I have it sorted. Apparently all they require is a letter from the applicant explaining the changes in the registration program and that no certificate is available.

I did this and sent copies of my firearms license and approved Canadian Export permits (had both of these back in less than 24 hours using the online EXCOL system...thanks Spook). We shall see if this works or not.

Lesson learned while completing online EXCOL application. Firearms must go on "Firearms" application. Scopes, detachable magazines and ammunition can all go together on "Other Controlled Goods" application. I received a very informative instructional email from export controls. If anyone wants a copy just send me a PM.

There is a new application for the Netherlands transit permit. It now has a "Vice Versa" section which indicates if you will be transitting through the Netherlands on your return trip as well in which case you will only have to use one application. This came directly from a phone call with the department. Also according to them they will accept applications via email (DRN-CDIU.Groningen@belastingdienst.nl) if you do not have secure access to a fax. I submitted mine this way however I haven't received a response yet so time will tell if they indeed accept it.

Cheers,

Johnny

Last edited:
Let us know how it goes through the Netherlands. I normally fly through Frankfort. I also fly with the Star Alliance group, Air Canada or Luthsansa to Frankfurt, South African to Africa. They check your luggage all the way through, so a lot less hassle. Have done the same through Heathrow, but hate the airport there

Thank for all the replies fellas. I think I have it sorted. Apparently all they require is a letter from the applicant explaining the changes in the registration program and that no certificate is available.

I did this and sent copies of my firearms license and approved Canadian Export permits (had both of these back in less than 24 hours using the online EXCOL system...thanks Spook). We shall see if this works or not.

Lesson learned while completing online EXCOL application. Firearms must go on "Firearms" application. Scopes, detachable magazines and ammunition can all go together on "Other Controlled Goods" application. I received a very informative instructional email from export controls. If anyone wants a copy just send me a PM.

There is a new application for the Netherlands transit permit. It now has a "Vice Versa" section which indicates if you will be transitting through the Netherlands on your return trip as well in which case you will only have to use one application. This came directly from a phone call with the department. Also according to them they will accept applications via email (DRN-CDIU.Groningen@belastingdienst.nl) if you do not have secure access to a fax. I submitted mine this way however I haven't received a response yet so time will tell if they indeed accept it.

Cheers,

Johnny

Please post the instructions. If you found them helpful others will too.

The Netherlands office likes to wait until the last minute to reply.

Glad you have it sorted.

Please post the instructions. If you found them helpful others will too.

No problem here is the body of the email.

Sir,

We have received your enquiry on permit requirements for temporary exports for hunting trips, and are pleased to pass along the following information. Please note that the underlined sections are hyperlinks to relevant web pages.

As outlined in our Export Controls Handbook, an export permit sets out specific parameters for the export of controlled goods and technology. Therefore, the review of an application for an export permit requires that clear supporting documentation be submitted by the applicant that outlines and confirms the parameters of the proposed export. Please refer to our Export Controls Handbook for guidance on completing your permit application. We also have a web page devoted to specific firearm export scenarios that you may wish to consult.

For exports for a hunting trip, the steps below outline which forms are required. We recommend that clients instead opt to apply online using our EXCOL website (www.excol-ceed.gc.ca) to apply for their Firearms Export Permit and Other Controlled Goods Export Permit. Should you choose to print hard copy forms and to submit them by fax, the following process applies:

For Firearms, print and complete forms EXT 1042 (Application for Permit to Export Goods (General Information Form)
Bilingual) and EXT 1042-2 (Application for Permit to Export Goods (Firearms Detail Form)
Bilingual)

For parts of firearms, firearms sights (including telescopic sights capable of 4X magnification or greater) , ammunition and magazines separate from the firearm, also print and provide a completed copy of Form EXT 1042-1, (Application for Permit to Export Goods (Controlled Goods Details Form) Bilingual). Submit this application along with your Forms 1042-2 and 1042 to complete your application package.

When the applications have been filled out in accordance with the guidelines listed below, then fax the forms and required supporting documentation to 613-996-9933, where they will be input into EXCOL, and the applications reviewed.

Applying for a Permit for a Temporary Export for a Hunting Trip

An export permit is required in order to take hunting firearms and their magazines, riflescopes and ammunition outside Canada on a hunting trip. Please note that firearms require a permit application using the specific "Firearms" permit application on EXCOL, with telescopic sights of over 4X magnification and ammunition requiring the submission of a separate export permit application under "Other Controlled Goods" on EXCOL. You should provide the following with your application:
•A cover letter outlining the dates of travel and nature of the export (temporary) and some type of confirmation of your travel and its purpose, e.g. booking confirmation, flight itinerary. The letter should also state that the export is being made for personal use on the hunting trip and that the exported articles will return to Canada.
•Confirmation that you have import authority to bring your firearms into the foreign country, or a statement that you will arrange for such permission at the time of import at your destination (your outfitter might be able to assist you with this).

Some destinations now require the presentation of a valid export permit as a pre-condition of their issuance of an import permit. Not having a Canadian export permit in your possession at time of import to your destination may lead to travel delays or confiscation of your firearm.

In filling out your application, please note the following:
•You will be exporting the goods to yourself to the foreign address of your outfitter. The consignee information should be listed as: your name, “Care of” the name and address of your outfitter.
•When listing ammunition on your application, indicate the correct calibre, the correct unit of measure, quantity and unit value where required. An example of a description of ammunition might be "375 H&H calibre sporting ammunition.” Ensure that the noted unit value correctly reflects the unit of measure used – generally, quantities and values are stated “per box” or “per cartridge”.
•You are required to provide your self-assessment of the Export Control List numbers that apply to your export. In this scenario, exporters commonly use the following:
•Rifles: ECL Item 2-1.a
•Optical weapons sights (riflescopes): ECL Item 2-1.d
•Additional magazines: ECL Item 2-1.d
•Ammunition: ECL Item 2-3.a.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have any questions, or if we can be of any further assistance.

I hope this information will be of assistance.

EXCOL/CEED

https://www.excol-ceed.gc.ca/default.aspx

Web site / Site Internet:

Export and Import Controls

or/ou

Contrôles à l'exportation et à l'importation

Export Control Handbook / Manuel des contrôles à l'exportation

Export Controls Handbook - Table of Contents

or/ou

Manuel des contrôles à l?exportation - Table des matières

A Guide to Canada's Export Controls / Guide des contrôles à l'exportation du Canada

A Guide to Canada's Export Controls

or/ou

Guide des contrôles à l'exportation du Canada

Firearms, Related Goods and Ammunition / Des armes à feu, de produits connexes et des munitions

Firearms, Related Goods and Ammunition

or/ou

Des armes à feu, de produits connexes et des munitions

Printable Forms/Formulaires à imprimer

Printable Forms

or/ou

Formulaires à imprimer

Cheers,

Johnny

Thxs Johnny!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg