CANADA: Bumed Out Hunt In British Columbia

This makes my blood boil!

@bluey this was a long time ago and a lot of water over your dam since then....

Did you ever get anything refunded or go back?

I hunted bear in BC spring of 2016. My ass was never so damned tired of sitting in a pickup truck.... There was good and bad. I had a wolf tag, 2 black bear and a grizzly tag. Got a very nice blonde black bear that was about 6 1/2 feet according to the guide but I think he stretched that a bit. Then I got a old black bear an inch or two over 7' but we tubed him for a full mount so never got the hide cut open to measure correctly. But a damned fine bear;)

I did get a shot at a wolf but was told I had 3 seconds to load and shoot. (because we were in the damned truck in spite of me asking to stalk in on foot). Had my scope on 2x and it was over a 300 yard shot and I blew it just over his back.

Then we started checking that wolf kill site and after I had my black bears we came in on a big dark bear.... Again drove right down in on him and the outfitter was swearing as he realized it was a grizzly that had just turned and ran off... Well we say 8 grizzleys during the hunt but that was the only oppertunity and he knew he blew it and the $6500 trophy fee.

So I had a successful hunt. But could have been better if we could have just been on our feet a little bit.

I'll go back to hunt cougar and lynx someday as the outfit works with Brian Chorny who got my respect as a great dog guy and one who puts in his work (he was in camp with other hunters).... But yea, seems to be a thing to sleep in and drive around a lot in BC.

I was told the bears sleep in so we should too. But funny thing is on the couple of morning we got up to go out in the AM, the bears had woke up early those days as well.... Go figure;)

Hate to hear it was a bust @bluey, hope you will get another crack at it in the future!

You have to hunt with a guide for deer, elk, and black bear in BC? You don't need a guide in Alaska for these animals being a non resident.

Wow tough hunt, makes me nervous I have a moose hunt scheduled for this fall in Fort Nelson, BC, we will also have tags for bear, elk and wolf. I don't have a real good track record with Canadian outfitters and I was hesitant to book this hunt. My buddy got the hunt at a SCI auction, and he was offered by the outfitter to bring a friend along for the same price, his first call was me, and I said yes. The outfitter is so confidant we will get a opportunity at a moose, that he wrote in our contract we could return for free if he doesn't put us within 300 yards of a legal moose for a shot? Ok return for free means buying tags and round trip transportation, 2600 mile drive for us, plus tips and other related costs, so would you really return if the hunt was as bad as Bluey's? Most of my Canadian hunts have been black bear hunts in Ontario, with 6 different outfitters, 5 of which were the worst, outfitters down right lied to us period, I could go on but I will piss myself off thinking about it. So if this moose hunt goes south, I will only hunt Africa from now on.

In that neck of the woods depends on time of year you’re hunting but it shouldn’t be an issue to run into moose at all.

I’m sure you’ll have a great trip!

Fort Nelson and Moose, ya, should not be an issue.

It goes to show, that crap can happen anywhere.

Hey thanks for the positive news, we are scheduled to hunt October 1-10, prime time for the rut is what I was told.

A good rule of thumb a buddy B.C. biologist I know says a week either side of sept 18th has been his go to for 30+ years. All about the about of light the moose cows sees in a day.

He’s gone in with fellow bios on fly in camp for years and always pulls a couple moose out.

I was in there sept 4-15 and good elk time but it was hot still. And the prime moose time was after I left.

I think you’ll be poised for great hunt and best of luck!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hi88vipsite

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg