Chago

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hey guys,

Been reading through all the Africa reviews and noticed some guys post there own DIY hunts as well in the north america section.

So I live in central/southern Ontario Canada which is known for some big bucks. I'm far away from the city where we have nice bush and good agriculture. But I'm not too far up north where the winters can be brutal and effect the deer population. I live on 5 acres but behind me are two farms that are mainly Forrest of 80 and 150 acres. And I have sole permission on it all.

One of the really strange things about this property is I literally get zero bucks on camera until about Halloween. But tons of does. And from Halloween through mid December it's packed. I get different bucks coming through for a few days then they vanish. I call it the whore house lol. So due to this set up I can be patient and wait to see who shows up at my various stands. I have been hunting this property for 8 years now, almost at 9th season. And for the first 6 years only took a freezer doe, or cull young buck. Wanted to let some of these guys grow as I was seeing some incredibly large 8 points, on a baby's body. So I knew these were 1.5 year olds who will be nice bucks one day. Well my patience paid off. 2017 I shot a official Boone and Crockett buck with my bow. And in 2018 another amazing buck but was a little short of Boone and Crockett. Here are some pictures.

2017 gross score was 189 3/8
IMG-20171117-WA0030.jpg
IMG-20171117-WA0032.jpg
Resized_20171118_094421.jpg

2018 buck. 171 1/4" gross score.

IMG_20181017_124207~2.jpg
IMG_20181017_124159~2.jpg

And here is them together again. Lol. I will be building a more permanent stand. This is temporary until my Africa animals arrive and I rearrange everything. That buck below them is a normal 90-100" deer to give you perspective.
IMG_20190326_195104.jpg

Hope you enjoy.

Great deer!

Awesome bucks. I grew up on a farm in Essex County, in Bama now. What county are you in?

Wow!!! Two incredible deer in back to back seasons!! You did well, thanks for sharing!

Very nice, and what a great setup you have with your neighbors!

Congrats! nice to be able to watch bucks grow and take mature ones!

Excellent bucks.
Bruce

Great looking duo of bone! Must be great to have that kind of opportunity right out your back door. Congrats!

Some fantastic bucks, congrats!

Nice deer. Certainly for where you are hunting them.
You have just what you need a nice chunk of dirt with the ability to manage it.

Congratulations and thanks for sharing your success.

Well done thank you for sharing pictures of you bucks

they are beauties, well done, Ill get after some when I get around to hunting in NA

What bow/Broadhead combination are you using?

they are beauties, well done, Ill get after some when I get around to hunting in NA

What bow/Broadhead combination are you using?

The bow is a xpedition x ring 7. They are a smaller company although produce incredible products. Bow is 70lbs draw weight and 31" draw length.

Arrow is the carbon express maxima red. And I use the rage 2 blade expandables. I have taken a water buffalo with that exact set up. I swear by rage broadheads.

@Chago you ever bring them to any of the big buck shows?
Great looking deer

I'm not aware of any in my area.

The 2017 buck was showcased in Ontario Monster Whitetail Magazine. I got a nice 4 or 5 page spread. Pictures, measurements, and I got to write about the story. It was pretty neat. I am getting the article laminated to put up with the mount. It also went in a national magazine Canada Outdoors. But was just small pic and some info. I was still pretty excited to be apart of all that.

@Chago Should check out the FROW webpage for events, i know a few close by. Hope you aren't one of those who dont get the magazine and didn't enter your buck for a chance at a new 4 wheeler, see that happen a lot at the shows (i score for FROW, who is run by the Beasleys as well as the OMG magazine)

Great bucks!

I dream about arrowing a whitetail like those, awesome bucks !! I've never taken a whitetail that exceeds 130, congrats!

@Chago Should check out the FROW webpage for events, i know a few close by. Hope you aren't one of those who dont get the magazine and didn't enter your buck for a chance at a new 4 wheeler, see that happen a lot at the shows (i score for FROW, who is run by the Beasleys as well as the OMG magazine)

Lol yes to all of the above. I was not a member so no I couldn't enter into king of the woods. Which sucked. But rules are rules.

Yes I had someone come out and score for BC, PY and FROW for the 2017 buck. Can't remember his name but he came out from the east end of the city if I remember right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg