Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
RMEF, SCI,
Hunted
Canada, Namibia 2015
The hunting buddy, Brad and I had a new first for elk hunting. We pulled a double header, he got his bull in the morning and I got lucky on the evening hunt. The morning started out with an answer when we got into one of our lick areas, that encounter was over real quick as the bull came in on a rope. Got caught in a thick, nasty area and got busted. We followed his tracks for a bit and ended up in stand of spruce with good visibility, things had been quiet for a while. I gave a bugle and got an answer not 100 yards away, I bolted out of the bluff and out of sight. The buddy, his 11 year old son, Ashton and 2 other hunting friends, Shawn and Brennan, all hunkered together as they had already been spotted by a cow. The cow came to my calls and the bull snuck in cautiously behind her. Brad stopped the bull in a small opening, pegged him perfect at 38 yards quartering away, a tough shot from his knees with everyone else around. Bull went 100 yards and piled up. Great thing was Ashton got see all the action up close and personal. He was totally pumped!

upload_2015-11-22_18-52-54.png

Got the bull out of the bush, done up and into my cooler by 3:00. Headed back to camp for a couple of rums to celebrate the success, late lunch, a quick nap and we head back into the bush at 7:00.
30 minutes in we get an answer from across a creek, we boot it thru the creek as we know them buggers will not cross and come up a bank! He is answering the cow calls steady! Find a spot off a game trail and get setup next to a big poplar bluff. Turn on my Kodak playsport camera mounted on my bow and get ready for the action. I hear the bull walking on the other side of a thick stand of willows, draw my bow and hope he will walk thru. The bull bugles not 20 yards from me. 20 seconds later he steps thru the willows and stops 12 yards from me, totally zoned in on my buddy’s cow calls. He bugles looking right at me. Wow, what a rush! No shot as he is quartering hard to me. I have been drawn for over a minute and the arms and legs are starting to vibrate from the adrenaline. For some reason, the bull turns his head back hard and looks away opening up his front shoulder. Put my pin right up his leg and let fly. Arrow buries right to the fletching, can see the nocturnal nock in the perfect spot. He spins and bolts away.
He went about 75 yards and piled up.

upload_2015-11-22_18-53-49.png

My most amazing hunt to date, have never had them bugle that close to me.
Big high fives on a heck of a day of elk hunting.

Youtube video of my hunt off my bow camera:

Awesome!! Perfect shot! There's a lot of exciting hunting experiences to be had in this world, but bow hunting elk when they're bugling has got to be near the top of the list.

You guys have a hell of a tag team going on with your elk hunting.

Congrats.

Watching that just reminded me of a Bugle session I herd in Yellowstone at midnight one night.
Pitch black and this old Bull bugled within twenty yards. It makes you shiver.

I agree with Phil, AWESOME.

Thanks for sharing.

Now that was cool ! Congrats.
Glen

I got buck fever just watching the video. I'd have hard time keeping steady enough for a good shot at that range.... Congrats!

Awesome stuff! Thanks for sharing.
Wish our African animals would respond to calling as NA game does.

I wish those Jackals would have come in like that when we were ready for them.

I wish those Jackals would have come in like that when we were ready for them.
Yeah, Im leaving on Monday to go and oversee 3 pitblinds to be built and will be calling in the late afternoons. They should be more willing to come in this time of the year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg