CANADA: Black Bear With BC Trophy Mountain Outfitters

Congratulations on a wonderful trip and two great trophies R.L.

Your offhand shooting at 185 yards is admirable and what we expect from our Airborne Ranger's.;)(y)

John Coffee Hays could not do it better (y)

As a Texan, I laughed out loud. Suspect Hays would have found a rest or never missed that initial shot in the first place!

Last edited:
Your second boar is absolutely fantastic. Definitely a monster for a bear that doesn't live off of humans.

John Coffee Hays could not do it better (y)

Foxi, you are obviously well read. Your breadth of knowledge to pull up seemingly obscure facts/ideas is impressive. ie: knowing about Chief Mkwawa / v Zewelski a couple months ago.

Red Leg, ditto on the above.

I enjoy reading both of your posts. Keep it up!

Red Leg - you know there are red stag to be had not far from your part of Texas.

Also,
I "need" to try my .405 double on a black bear and have asked your outfitter in the link you provided for more information. Since I am not much for travelling horseback, so I inquired about the lodge hunt. When do you plan on returning?

You would find it an ideal "lodge" hunt in the spring. You will spend your time working logging roads by vehicle and foot. Middle to late May is nearly ideal up there every year, and at least a third of the boars are a brown or cinnamon color phase. We are in SA and Spain next year, but I will be going back up in '19 to try for a mountain goat (my fourth hunt with Kevin and BC Trophy Mountain Outfitters). Can't recommend these folks highly enough. And your .405 double would be perfect.

Congrats on the bears! Do you have a picture of the mule deer you took?

Congratulations on a adventure. Forrest

Congrats on the bears! Do you have a picture of the mule deer you took?
This was a November hunt during the rut. It was a tad chilly. Not a giant - but not too bad either. The rifle is my .300 H&H No. 1. Note that we are not trying to make him look big.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Waidmannsheil you diablo tejano (y)
Which rifle do you used for that buck ?
Blaser K95 ? H+H is only the caliber ,or ?
Regards
Foxi

A custom Ruger No. 1 in .300 H&H. And yep - Tejano by the grace of God! Though the Diablo thing may be close to the truth - it is hot as hell and we haven't had rain for six weeks.
Waidmannsdank!

This is a better picture of the rifle. Lovely little thing with case coloring by Turnbull.
full

Last edited by a moderator:
Like the deer and the rifle!

I like the rifle better than the deer! But both are very nice

beautiful gun

I forgot to ask:
how is the quality of the meat when you use a .300 H+H for a deer?
Lots of hematoma ?

"los diablo Tejano"
only a metaphor for that kind of guys :) and their descendants.
86744f7a92dbaa0a343847fd575a3c47.jpg

BFW

Last edited:
I forgot to ask:
how is the quality of the meat when you use a .300 H+H for a deer?
Lots of hematoma ?

"los diablo Tejano"
only a metaphor for that kind of guys :) and their descendants.
View attachment 194983
BFW
A tough 180 gr bullet from a .300 H&H (in this case, I believe it was a TSX - it was nearly five years ago) drills through nicely with relatively little collateral damage. Mule deer are larger than whitetail, and shots can be long. A magnum .300 is never a bad choice.

William A. A. "Big Foot" Wallace both looked like the sort who could have handled himself and proved it on many occasions. This is one of his most famous photos probably taken about 1850 when he commanded a ranger company. The rifle looks like an eastern-built long rifle converted to percussion - After the Mexican American War (in which he participated), he likely would have armed himself with something more effective. At that period - 1845 - 1860 - there were precious few "native Texans". Virtually all had immigrated from somewhere - most from across the South - later from Germany and the modern Czech Republic. Crocket was from Tennessee; Sam Houston from Virginia; William Travis from South Carolina, etc. etc.. Wallace himself was a Virginian by birth. The Southern frontiersmen brought their flintlocks with them and had them converted (those who survived the Texas War for independence and the constant battles against the Comanche). Gradually, some were replaced with the Hawken rifle and their ilk followed by the flood of Enfields during the War Between the States and the Sharps, Spencer, and Springfield immediately following. He should of had a Walker Colt by this point which became the decisive weapon in the existential conflict with the Comanche. I always assumed he was carrying one in this photo, but now I am not sure looking at the butt of the weapon sticking out of the cross-draw cavalry holster.

Thanks for sharing. A real Texas hero.

Last edited:
always interesting, your look back on history (y)
Foxi

Hi,

I found this post doing a search about BC Trophy Mountain Outfitters. I won a mule deer hunt in an auction and I am going to hunt there Sept 10-16 2022. I would love to chat with you if have time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniata1951

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross