CANADA: Bear Hunting In British Columbia

JamesJ

AH elite
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Well I just got back into town from my bear hunt with dogs in British Columbia. I was a bit torn about using dogs, but overall it was a great hunt. The dogs are very effective and with them we never set out on anything unless it was a big boar. I highly recommend the trip if you are looking for a shot at a big bear. We took 6 bears in 5 days including two nice colored bears.
My bear was almost 7 foot and weighed in at 350#.

DSCN0647small.jpg
DSCN0651small.jpg

Nice bear.
Never thought of chasing bears with dogs.

Handsome bear. That big boy has some claws on him.

Congratulations on your big bear James! I still don't get the boar verbiage...

He looks great James. (y) Congrats.

How long up and down mountains did it take?

Congratulations on your big bear James! I still don't get the boar verbiage...

Jerome boar is simply what the male bear is called. The female is called a sow. Just as the male deer is a Buck and the female is a doe.

By the way nice bear James

Jerome boar is simply what the male bear is called. The female is called a sow. Just as the male deer is a Buck and the female is a doe.
I know but it just does not compute nor make sense to me. Just do an image search on google under boar and sow and you will see what I mean or think of… just no association to Bears for me. I guess I just did not grow up hunting Bears!

that's a cool ,cool bear james....
bit of size in the foot of that big fella...
it would be a fast hunt , off the hounds wouldn't it ?

im hearing ya, on the boar , sow thing Jerome
I can only imagine them as bears...........

Sorry for the slow reply's came back from Canada with the flu as a nice souvenir from the trip.

The dog hunts go pretty quick, usually only a couple hours from the time we set the dogs out. The thing I really liked about it was it allowed us to be selective. Once the dogs hit scent we were able to look at tracks and make a call on the size based on the prints then release the dogs if we saw fit. The only time the dogs were on a small bear was when two bears crossed and the dogs got mixed up. So we took some pics and pulled the dogs off and set off after more. It is a very effective means of hunting them.

Nice bear James(y) Congratulations:D Beers:

Congrats James, nice bear!

Hey James, very nice bear. Congratulations!

Congrats on that bear, what a brute! I just got back from my first bear hunt ever, here in my home state of Washington, but I think your bear would have ate my bear if they crossed paths.

(y) strong bear-Waidmannsheil
A few month before ,he was going into his wintercamp with over 450 pounds............

Would you show us more pics,especially from the dogs ?
Greetings from the sunny Munic
Foxi

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you