CANADA: Bear Hunting In British Columbia

JamesJ

AH elite
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Well I just got back into town from my bear hunt with dogs in British Columbia. I was a bit torn about using dogs, but overall it was a great hunt. The dogs are very effective and with them we never set out on anything unless it was a big boar. I highly recommend the trip if you are looking for a shot at a big bear. We took 6 bears in 5 days including two nice colored bears.
My bear was almost 7 foot and weighed in at 350#.

DSCN0647small.jpg
DSCN0651small.jpg

Nice bear.
Never thought of chasing bears with dogs.

Handsome bear. That big boy has some claws on him.

Congratulations on your big bear James! I still don't get the boar verbiage...

He looks great James. (y) Congrats.

How long up and down mountains did it take?

Congratulations on your big bear James! I still don't get the boar verbiage...

Jerome boar is simply what the male bear is called. The female is called a sow. Just as the male deer is a Buck and the female is a doe.

By the way nice bear James

Jerome boar is simply what the male bear is called. The female is called a sow. Just as the male deer is a Buck and the female is a doe.
I know but it just does not compute nor make sense to me. Just do an image search on google under boar and sow and you will see what I mean or think of… just no association to Bears for me. I guess I just did not grow up hunting Bears!

that's a cool ,cool bear james....
bit of size in the foot of that big fella...
it would be a fast hunt , off the hounds wouldn't it ?

im hearing ya, on the boar , sow thing Jerome
I can only imagine them as bears...........

Sorry for the slow reply's came back from Canada with the flu as a nice souvenir from the trip.

The dog hunts go pretty quick, usually only a couple hours from the time we set the dogs out. The thing I really liked about it was it allowed us to be selective. Once the dogs hit scent we were able to look at tracks and make a call on the size based on the prints then release the dogs if we saw fit. The only time the dogs were on a small bear was when two bears crossed and the dogs got mixed up. So we took some pics and pulled the dogs off and set off after more. It is a very effective means of hunting them.

Nice bear James(y) Congratulations:D Beers:

Congrats James, nice bear!

Hey James, very nice bear. Congratulations!

Congrats on that bear, what a brute! I just got back from my first bear hunt ever, here in my home state of Washington, but I think your bear would have ate my bear if they crossed paths.

(y) strong bear-Waidmannsheil
A few month before ,he was going into his wintercamp with over 450 pounds............

Would you show us more pics,especially from the dogs ?
Greetings from the sunny Munic
Foxi

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanMatt

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg