Can you visit a hunting lodge without actually hunting much?

njc110381

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hi guys,

At the moment I don't have the money for a big safari but I would like to visit, get to know people and see what camp life is about. My wife doesn't hunt but has been to South Africa and Kenya, and would like to return to that part of the world.

Is it possible to visit a hunting area just for a holiday? I'm not much of a tourist type, I like to see how the locals live and work day to day and experience the reality of a place, not fly half way across the world to experience something that's been made a sunny version of home! I'd maybe like to go out and shoot some food animals but no trophies. Maybe a plains game hunt for cull animals would be the right approach?

My ultimate goal in life is to hunt cape buffalo, so it would be good to visit places where this could be offered at a later date. I guess what I'm keen to do is to travel and meet the people I would be hunting with, experience camp life and build working friendships. So what's out there to offer that sort of thing?

Wonderful idea! Bear in mind that even with a trophy hunt all the meat goes to a good cause. Read up about CAMP FIRE, this is the Zimbabwe system where the local community benefits directly from your hunt.

njc110381,

There are various cull hunt opportunities offered here on AH and I'll say most if not all outfitters listed here on AH offer/invite hunting clients to bring their non hunting family members/friends along.

What you seem to be asking for is perhaps along the lines of a photo safari with the opportunity or option to hunt, possibly rent a firearm rather than bring your own firearm.

My suggestion is to make a list of the things you want to do, type of lodging, number of days, location, etc.. then do your research on outfitters, then contact the outfitters to discuss what your wants are, list which outfitters best meet your wants, then decide which outfitter you want to plan your trip with and finalize your plan with that outfitter.

I went for a cull hunt or management hunt.
I said straight up that is what I wanted, I wanted the experience and I do not have trophies mounted. I was happy to get plains game and photos of my safari. The cost was reasonable, the food and accomodation was the same, I still drank their beer and had a good time.
My wife came on the hunts but didn’t shoot, we also took in some sights.
We had a trip to Addo Elephant Park booked and when I saw I would make quota I booked my own tour for Pumba game reserve. The PH still took us there for transport etc all good. They are happy to be your guide, driver, companion or just leave you be. They are contracted to look after you for the day. They can take you to town or maybe a local village, mix it up it’s your holiday and this is their industry.
The hire rifles option can be good, simple pricing varies but mine was fair.
Good luck planning your adventure.

To accommodate what you are looking for, I think it's important to look at hunting outfitter websites that specifically have a section for photo safaris. This would indicate they offer this as part of their business plan and not some day side trip that they may or may not even want to do in the first place but feel compelled to offer bc they have to.

There are several sponsors here I know offer that.

Another option would be to travel with a friend who actually hunts.

To accommodate what you are looking for, I think it's important to look at hunting outfitter websites that specifically have a section for photo safaris. This would indicate they offer this as part of their business plan and not some day side trip that they may or may not even want to do in the first place but feel compelled to offer bc they have to.

There are several sponsors here I know offer that.

Another option would be to travel with a friend who actually hunts.

Nyati, good point but for example my hunt was planned around our 25the Wedding Anniversary , our first big trip and my wife was happy to be an observer. She was happy to see me hunt Africa something I didn’t think would happen. The lodge is nice she would have been happy to read.

My PH was freelance as we went off season and the outfitters were happy to accomodate my requests but used another PH due to their plans,

I don’t think many would care if you wanted to add in sight seeing, my PH said he was there to look after us. I imagine driving us to Pumba or driving me around the property didn’t change much for him. In fact I asked him to drop us at Pumba and go have lunch with his wife in town while we went on tour . He didn’t seem to mind he bought his wife back to meet us and she shared a Rusk recipe that my wife has made back home. Pretty good recipe too. He showed us around Grahamstown a little as we asked.
I think it started with me posting Wanted Cull hunt and getting a few offers. A couple of PM and emails, I asked heaps of questions and told them what I hoped for and that was just the experience and some nice pics. I’ve only done one trip so limited experience but all the people who responded seemed happy to oblige. They are in the tourism business offering hunting. From what I understand Most packages include pick up at a local airport, food and drink, guide, vehicle/transport laundry.
Animals, trophy fees, rifle hire and observer rates can vary but the inclusions seem standard.

Good Day NJC

You have a very valid question there.

The way you described is how a lot of of people started their hunting journey and ended up doing multiple safaris to Southern Africa over a period of time.

We and I am sure a lot of other outfitters on AH would gladly accommodate you.There are various activities that can be added to your a trip like a Kruger Park foto safari , visiting local villages or just spend some time with us during our daily activities.

You are most welcome to contact me , I am sure we can put something together for you that would be of interested.

Regards

Rouan

I wish I had started that way and took my time. My first African hunt I though was a once in a lifetime hunt was not. Been many places and have tons of trophies. So, if I had it to do over I would not hunt as hard, slow down, and take less animals. You have a great plan so enjoy it.

Hi guys,

At the moment I don't have the money for a big safari but I would like to visit, get to know people and see what camp life is about. My wife doesn't hunt but has been to South Africa and Kenya, and would like to return to that part of the world.

Is it possible to visit a hunting area just for a holiday? I'm not much of a tourist type, I like to see how the locals live and work day to day and experience the reality of a place, not fly half way across the world to experience something that's been made a sunny version of home! I'd maybe like to go out and shoot some food animals but no trophies. Maybe a plains game hunt for cull animals would be the right approach?

My ultimate goal in life is to hunt cape buffalo, so it would be good to visit places where this could be offered at a later date. I guess what I'm keen to do is to travel and meet the people I would be hunting with, experience camp life and build working friendships. So what's out there to offer that sort of thing?
Most outfitters offer cull hunts. Some for as little as $2500 for 7 days hunting. Can’t do much better than that. I agree with you on not wanting to do touristy things and get out in the country with the real people.
Philip

Last year I hunted in Namibia with Shona Hunting Adventures, who also serve the non-hunting tourist trade as Ondundu Etosha Lodge. I was completely satisfied with the facilities and the service and the opportunities. My brother took his family there just a couple months before, for more of a tourist trip, and less hunting. They would be a good choice for what you have in mind.

Just finished a sable hunt where three of the seven guests didn't hunt at all. We all had a fabulous time regardless, great camaraderie around the fire.

The outfitters who have responded here have all been very nice about a request such as this, and that's really admirable.

But people need to bear in mind that outfitters need to make money, just like the rest of us, or they won't stay in business very long.

Many of the day rates you see advertised are only sustainable if some hunting is done. Without the trophy fees to make up the difference, I wonder how reasonable it is to expect an outfitter to provide lodging, food, alcohol, laundry, transportation and a PH and vehicle for every day someone is in camp, all for the day rate without more. Even with the trophy fees, I often wonder how some of the day rates I've seen are sustainable.

I've read some posts, I seem to recall, where people were looking to take advantage of "no day rate offers" and then not shoot anything, thus getting a free holiday. I believe (hope?) most outfitters are aware of this risk and put conditions on the offers, but regardless, no one needs people like this.

Maybe a plains game hunt for cull animals would be the right approach?

I think you have the right approach, so long as you're reasonable about the number of animals, costs, etc. You can tell that you're being reasonable when you reach agreement with the outfitter!

Good luck. I'll never forget my first hunt, and hope yours is as memorable.

Thanks for your replies chaps. Lots to think about!

I completely agree re. the outfitters needing to make a living. I think the best thing I can do is talk to a few and also read the plentiful reviews on the site to choose the right people. For me, a trip that involved some driving around the place, shooting a few cull animals and maybe even helping out a bit with the non touristy tasks would be great. I want to see how life works for people, not have them adapt to make me feel as if I was back home!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChanceSkin

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!