Can you remember your first African animal?

Female Warthog, 191 yards with 300 gr Accubond from RSM in .375 H&H
ON DAY 5! :eek:
View attachment 233839

Spent the first 4 days, close to 50 hours, in here. Praying. For Mr. Spots.
View attachment 233842

He refused to cooperate. He did kill an impala right behind the blind while we were in it. Another night, a baboon up on the hill. If we were in the blind he wouldn’t hit the bait. He would however prowl around sawing and huffing. He was one big ass Leopard with a pumpkin head. Pretty sure he is still alive and will die of old age.
I feel privileged to have hunted Leopard and I hope to do it again someday. But I’m not looking forward to it! :E Rofl: I suck at sitting still for hours and days at a time!

That's a great memory, though probably wasn't great to get it! Question, when you hunt Mr. Spots like this are you in the hide all day, or just evenings? If it's just evenings are you generally too tired to hunt during the day then? I only ask because I'd love to go for him someday (someday being when the car, the house, the kids college (he is 6 now, better start saving for that lol) is paid for but I see a lot of people talking as if you just spend all day and all night in 1 spot. Not my idea of a fun hunt, though I'm sure the trophy would be worth it!

Gemsbok! And yep, that’s a scope mark. Lol

IMG_8541.JPG
IMG_3617.JPG

I was thinking about all the hunters and huntresses we have on this site, some of who'm have been at the Africa Hunting addiction groups for a very long time and I was wondering if people still remembered what their first ever African trophy was, and perhaps what the circumstances leading up to that irreplaceable shot were. So if you have a mind to share and can recall, I'd love to hear it, and I'm sure other newer hunters (and perhaps some of the old hands as well) would love to hear it as well!
25" impala - 200yd texas heart shot. Rifle used was my Ruger M77 30/06. The 200gr projectile went right through to lodge under the skin of the throat. Still got the rifle, trophy and recovered bullet. That was 30yrs ago - and in 3 weeks I'll be after gemsbok, another kudu and an eland with the same rifle.

My most UNUSUAL trophy taken with my .30/06 was a 8' shovel-nosed shark in 1997. I was out of bait, so I shot it with a 150gr "Taipan" brass tipped projectile, as it cruised about in shallow water.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShanonBurc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.