Can you leave your locked ammunition box in your checked baggage with South African Air?

tay50

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Ducks Unlimited, SCI, RMEF
Hunted
Canada, USA, Michigan, Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, New Mexico, Ohio, RSA, Limpopo, Free State
We will be traveling from JoBerg to PE for our hunt, can you leave your locked ammo box in your checked baggage? I thought I seen where guys were made to remove and check their ammo box as additional bag. Thanks

Bullthrower338

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
You must check it seperate from your other baggage.

cpr0312

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Eastern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia, Tanzania
Yes if your transiting from Joburg to another port, it has to come out of your checked bag and travel separately from all I have read and seen other guys post on this site.

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England

caddman

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI AFGA DU AHEIA
Hunted
Canada-BC,AB,Sk,QB USA-NM,KS Namibia
Maybe I lucked out but they had no interest in my ammo on my first trip through Joberg to Namibia. That was in 2014 however.

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
That's the last time I went thru as well, and I just had the ammo in a plastic case inside my checked bag and it stayed there the whole time over and back. Things are getting more and more complicated there and here.

sheephunterab

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
www.outdoorquesttv.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI, Wild Sheep Foundation, AFGA
Hunted
Tanzania, Namibia, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, Azerbaijan, Kyrgyzstan, Argentina, Canada, USA, Russia
It seems to change daily but typically if you are flying within SA they will require it to go as seperate checked luggage. Flying to another country and they don't care. The good thing is they won't charge you for additional baggage. Keep it in your luggage in a seperate locked case that you can easily pull out to check separately if required. It's no big deal if they ask you to.

Mekaniks

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI, RMEF
Hunted
AK, WY, WA, ID, FL, SD, TX, HI, South Africa- Northwest Province
I gather it's a SAA policy. Check with your airline. The rules will be on their web site.

sheephunterab

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
www.outdoorquesttv.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Australia/NZ
Member of
Hunted
Tanzania, Namibia, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, Azerbaijan, Kyrgyzstan, Argentina, Canada, USA, Russia
Yup, SAA policy and once in SA it applies.

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Thanks for the updates guys.

hawkhunts

AH member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
I just returned from South Africa and flew SAA from Joburg to Windhoek. I used the orange mtm boxes, and I had to remove them on my way to namibia. They put them in seperate SAA bags and tagged them.
On the return flight they allowed them to stay in my checked luggage.

tay50

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Ducks Unlimited, SCI, RMEF
Hunted
Canada, USA, Michigan, Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, New Mexico, Ohio, RSA, Limpopo, Free State
Thanks for all the replies guys, have a great weekend.

Michael Tubbs

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA, Colt collectors association
Hunted
Zimbabwe
Thanks for all the replies guys, have a great weekend.
Just returned from Zimbabwe. Both times flying through Joberg. I was Not required to remove ammo from checked bag. Guess it depends on gate agent and customers attitude.

sheephunterab

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
www.outdoorquesttv.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Australia/NZ
Member of
Hunted
Just returned from Zimbabwe. Both times flying through Joberg. I was Not required to remove ammo from checked bag. Guess it depends on gate agent and customers attitude.

It only applies to domestic flights within South Africa. As you were flying to another country it doesn't apply.

Gemsbok Gangsta

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DU SCI NRA
Hunted
Namibia 2009/East Cape 2016/NW province 2019
Just returned from a great hunt with KMG in May. Ammo in checked luggage all the way from Seattle to PE. Had to check separate from PE back to Joberg then put in checked luggage.This was my experience.

EDELWEISS

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
US, Canada, Middle East(does that count)
Yep had a similar experience in 2012. Nobody on SA Air cared when we flew out of New York, nor did they care when we transferred in Jo'burg for a flight to Port Elizabeth. On the way home it was different. Then it had to be in and UNLOCKED box even after we declared it at the check in; but I think it could stay in the luggage.

wesheltonj

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Benefactor-Life NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC
Hunted
USA, RSA
My BA flight from IAH to JNB required a seperate ammo box (I used a Pelican 1200). Seperate box within RSA too.

EDELWEISS

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
US, Canada, Middle East(does that count)
Anybody using a surplus ammo can to carry ammo? When I fly in the States, I use a "30cal" can that I drill for a U bolt, so I could put a padlock on it. I just put my Glock in a pistol rug, inside the can. I was planning to use the same can for my rifle ammo in RSA next month.

Hank2211

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
Hunted
Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina
The key to this question is whether you are transmitting South Africa without collecting your luggage or not.

If you are flying to South Africa on a carrier other than SAA, you can generally leave your ammo in your checked bag (always in a locked box). If you are flying into South Africa on SAA, you will need to put the ammo in a separate checked locked box.

If you transit South Africa and your luggage is checked through to your final destination, the rules of the original airline which checked the bag will apply, generally all the way to the final destination. Thereafter, it will be the local rules which apply. So, if you stop in South Africa, and collect your bags, regardless of whether you are just staying the night or are actually hunting in South Africa, you will be required to put the ammo in a separate locked box for the ongoing flights.

This is why you can have two people flying to the same destination having different rules. If I fly from Canada Vic Falls, the flights to South Africa (going through Europe) will generally arrive early enough that I can connect to my flight to Vic Falls, and never enter South Africa. I can leave my ammo in my checked bag all the way.

If I fly from the US, the flights generally arrive too late in the day to connect to Vic Falls, sol I will spend the night in Jo'burg. The next morning, when I check many bags to Vic Falls, I will have to put the ammo in a separate box.

Same route, different result.

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
I just returned from South Africa and flew SAA from Joburg to Windhoek. I used the orange mtm boxes, and I had to remove them on my way to namibia. They put them in seperate SAA bags and tagged them.
On the return flight they allowed them to stay in my checked luggage.
You must have stayed overnight in JO then because if you had checked your luggage thru to WDK, you would not have the opportunity to handle or re check luggage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CHarr

Latest profile posts

Rick HOlbert wrote on NTH's profile.
NTH, Just found your message. I hunt with Eland Pro Safaris in Namibia. Wide selection of game and great folks. Hell my PH and his family ARE adopted family, LOL! I book people to hunt with them and should you be interested I'd be happy to meet and discuss a trip. Anyway all the best to you and give me a shout sometime. Bye for now.
NTH wrote on Rick HOlbert's profile.
Nice “meeting” you Rick. I made my first trip to S. Africa this year through Kuche Safaris. We had an incredible time. What outfitter do you use? Neal
LIFE-FORM TAXIDERMY World Leader In Superior Taxidermy Since 1981

taxidermy-south-africa.jpg
Global Rescue - Worldwide Emergency Evacuation & Field Rescue, Anytime Anywhere

global-rescue.jpg
Special 10% Off On Taxidermy For AfricaHunting Members 2021

taxidermy-in-texas.jpg