Can you bring back used ammunition brass from RSA for memorabilia purposes? If so, how?

Cody hunt4life

AH senior member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI, Texas Trophy Hunters Association
Hunted
USA, Mexico, South Africa
I was curious if anyone has brought back the used brass from the ammo used in RSA for memorabilia purposes and if so how did you bring it back? Can it be brought back in your luggage? Can it be shipped? I like to use the actual empty cartridge inside shadow box frames of pictures with any trophies I have harvested and would like to do the same with my trophies I will be harvesting on my Africa trip the same as I have for majority of my other hunting trips. This is my first time hunting Africa (Eastern Cape Specifically). This may be a hard NO but if there is a way I’d like to get it back to the USA for the memorabilia I usually make with any trophy critter I have harvested with the photos inside shadow boxes. Picture attached was from a Mexico whitetail trip showing how I make these shadow boxes. Thanks in advance!
Image1594100985.704106.jpg

I take all of my used brass back home. I just put it back into the plastic cartridge holder after the hunt.

Shadow box is a neat idea! I brought mine back from the East Cape without any troubles. I just threw it in my stowed luggage and didn't say anything about it. My next trip was near Thabazimbi and I did the same thing. This time however, my luggage was opened and gone through. I assume it was because of the casings, as they were inside another bag and had been opened. The casings were still there, and nobody said anything, so I can't imagine it was that big of a deal. I live in Canada, not the US, but I can't see our government being more lenient than yours when it comes to such matters! Soon we won't be allowed water pistols!

I take all of my used brass back home. I just put it back into the plastic cartridge holder after the hunt.
I would imagine Cody was asking because he's not planning on bringing a rifle and ammo. ??

I would imagine Cody was asking because he's not planning on bringing a rifle and ammo. ??

Yes that is correct! With the new rifle requirements (which tore me up after buying a $2k rifle specifically for this hunt with the full SIG BDX setup for it as well for glass and a new pelican case specifically custom cut for the items I planned to use only for Africa) with having to do so much more paperwork, additional fees and to have an EIN and all the other hoops required to jump through I’ve decided to put that money towards taxidermy and will be using one of the .300 Win Mag rifles they have for me there with my chosen Barnes Ammunition they will have waiting for me upon arrival. I figured it would be much easier if I had my initial separate pelican ammo case (small pistol case) I had intended to bring and just put my empties back in the box labeled by animal harvested with tape on them, but now that I won’t be bringing my rifle and ammo case I was unsure if I would have to ship them back or if I would catch any problems if put in my checked bag with customs.

No longer taking my own rifle and separate ammo case due to the new rifle Importing requirements. Far too many hoops to jump through for me and able to harvest an additional trophy with the costs associated or put towards my taxidermy being done at splitting image. It sucks, but I’m sure I will build the confidence using another rifle quickly they are providing.

Throw the brass in your checked bag and you will not have an issue.
Do not take into the cabin with you. That will only invite attention from the uninformed staff.

0271E369-8A79-4261-A966-F57C7908F543.jpeg
I also brought mine home From the cape with zero issues. End of the day I used a sharpie to write the specie, distance, date and place on the Spent case. Lots of memories scribed on nickel and brass! Both tsa and the baggage handlers searched our bags. Tsa left a note, the baggage handlers stole a half dozen leatherman tools we were gonna give as tips. . .

i brought most of my fired cases home by just putting them in my whole baggage, i did loose several cases that i had in my carry on bag, i had them in a light coat i forgot they were there, so they stayed in RSA. my bad.

Well yes, those empty casings are extremely dangerous you know!

I'd say that if you would really like to use your own rifle then take it. Use a preapproved service and a travel agent and just pay the fees. By the time you figure in all the cost they are not that much.

I like the others just had my spent brass in my checked luggage and not a word was said. Once they are fired they just become extra weight.

What do the current cost and fees amount to import each rifle into SA

It depends. Some airlines charge a firearms fee some don’t. The saps paperwork is free, but I would use a meet and greet service to help guide you thru the process. About 100$ in Johannesburg. We also use TWG to purchase our plane tickets and help with firearms, they also charge a fee. Money well spent IMO. We have never been charged a fee for our firearms in 4 trips to Namibia and one trip to Romania. We were supposed to be leaving in August for South Africa but it was cancelled. Again no airline fee for firearms. On the Romania trip I did the paperwork. All we have ever used is the 4457 form for our trips. Never a problem. We either fly out of DFW or Shreveport, La on our trips. Your results may vary.

EIN is not needed at this point in time. Have only had SAA charge an extra fee. Cleared my rifle myself at Joberg. If you want to use your rifle then do so. Just plan ahead.
Some outfitters have great firearms. A few don’t. Same for ammo. I reload and want to use mine. I know what it’s gonna do. Your choice.
Bruce

We are fortunate to be able to purchase ammunition and reloading components for the prices we do in the US. Our friends in most African countries pay substantially more for the same.
I only bring back empty brass to the US. In Namibia for example you are allowed 80 rounds per firearm that must match the caliber of said rifle. That is far more than you would need unless you are doing a bit of culling. It is not hard to find a local or two that would be happy to trade you fired cases for your leftover loaded rounds. The number of empties you need when you leave the country should match the number of loaded rounds of same caliber you brought in. This only applies if you are bringing your own hardware, but just food for thought. What I am saying will make sense when you see what a box of .404 0r (fill in the blank) cost a PH.

It depends. Some airlines charge a firearms fee some don’t. The saps paperwork is free, but I would use a meet and greet service to help guide you thru the process. About 100$ in Johannesburg. We also use TWG to purchase our plane tickets and help with firearms, they also charge a fee. Money well spent IMO. We have never been charged a fee for our firearms in 4 trips to Namibia and one trip to Romania. We were supposed to be leaving in August for South Africa but it was cancelled. Again no airline fee for firearms. On the Romania trip I did the paperwork. All we have ever used is the 4457 form for our trips. Never a problem. We either fly out of DFW or Shreveport, La on our trips. Your results may vary.

Ok. That’s what I remember. I also use TWG and used the 100 service when I transferred through SA. For that amount I wouldn’t leave my gun at home and use someone else’s gun. Just my opinion...

You also have to figure in the cost of renting and the ammo when you use one of the outfitters rifles.

It seams like that on my hunt it was 50 US dollars a day and they supplied the ammo. But I had my own rifle with me so that figure could be off a little

I was curious if anyone has brought back the used brass from the ammo used in RSA for memorabilia purposes and if so how did you bring it back? Can it be brought back in your luggage? Can it be shipped? I like to use the actual empty cartridge inside shadow box frames of pictures with any trophies I have harvested and would like to do the same with my trophies I will be harvesting on my Africa trip the same as I have for majority of my other hunting trips. This is my first time hunting Africa (Eastern Cape Specifically). This may be a hard NO but if there is a way I’d like to get it back to the USA for the memorabilia I usually make with any trophy critter I have harvested with the photos inside shadow boxes. Picture attached was from a Mexico whitetail trip showing how I make these shadow boxes. Thanks in advance! View attachment 356731

Yes just put it back in your ammo box

Very cool shadow box Cody. I do something similar — I engrave the case with the date of the hunt and animal hunted.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinagqe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber