Can someone rate the feasibility of this idea?

tigris115

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Articles
So I was thinking of the many Texas game ranches where people hunt down animals from Northern Africa/South Asia and then my mind shifted to parks that try to recreate the African experience like Disney's Animal Kingdom, Busch Gardens Tampa, and the San Diego Zoo Safari Park. Then it occurred to me. The savannas of Africa and the game ranches of Texas are pretty much the same climate wise so here's my idea.

1. Buy as many of these game ranches as possible until you have a parcel of land that's at least 1000 km2
2. Along with the already existing plains game species, import the celebrity animals (big five, giraffes, hippos, crocs, monkeys, etc.) from South Africa or Zimbabwe. Ideally, there should be enough animals to make a self-sustaining population without further importing.
3. Open the park as a game viewing/hunting concession

This way, people can experience a slice of wild Africa without having to leave the country and dealing with the trails and tribulations of long-distance travel.

Of course, there are many holes in this plan such as the dangers of escapee animals, invasive species, disease, etc. So since there are people here who know something about game ranching, I thought I'd run the idea here.

I am not going to pretend to know anything...but I do have an observation.

Generally, shooting one African animal in Texas costs as much as buying a plane ticket and actually hunting it in Africa.

And while you are in Africa, you can hunt a number of other animals for minimal incremental costs.

Plus you are in Africa!

I think the cost of operating anything in the U.S. is just quite a bit higher vs RSA (taxes, land costs, labor costs, etc).

My $0.02, FWIW.

Tim

My opinion is it's too late to do that. There are already a number of VERY large companies that do the exact same thing (less the dangerous game hunting you're speaking off [maybe lion]) for a long time. The niche is too small and they probably have a very strong history of return clients.

The other problem is it's too expensive. The days of buying 10000 acres in Texas on the cheap is gone. You will not get a traditional commercial loan to do this because no bank is going to give it to you. You might have a chance at an SBA or USDA loan though.

Startup cost would not shock me at all at 3 million dollars; you need a leprechaun that craps Krugerrands.

I would encourage you to do the research though.

Yeah, this would probably be the most costly park of any kind like ever from startup costs alone. You basically have all the major problems of a zoo and game reserve.

Yeah, this would probably be the most costly park of any kind like ever from startup costs alone. You basically have all the major problems of a zoo and game reserve.

And a :A Shit: load of liability if you include the DG animals. Insurance would be ridiculous if at all possible.

I believe the triple 7 gets as close to your idea as possible but as @tarbe said cost is prohibitive. Nobody thought my idea of high fencing Berkeley was very feasible either! Lol

It will never work.
(1) Overhead too high, animals to expensive - cheaper in Africa
(2) It's in Texas and not Africa
(3) It would have to be high fenced, and not "free range"

Last edited:
All things are relative. Cost to us is not the same as it is to a MULTI BILLIONAIRE. Money spent on something like this would have to be for a passion not a profitable undertaking.
Example.....Ted Turner buying a massive Montana ranch to raise bison. Then he opens a chain of steakhouses called Ted's to sell the Buffalo meat. Steakhouses are all but gone, however he still has the ranch if Im not mistaken!

All things are relative. Cost to us is not the same as it is to a MULTI BILLIONAIRE. Money spent on something like this would have to be for a passion not a profitable undertaking.
Example.....Ted Turner buying a massive Montana ranch to raise bison. Then he opens a chain of steakhouses called Ted's to sell the Buffalo meat. Steakhouses are all but gone, however he still has the ranch if Im not mistaken!
He does Charlie, the Snowcrest ranch is about 5 miles up the ruby road from my place in Montana. A truly beautiful place that was raped from us for public use by shady USFS land swaps! Ted and his ex are not real well received anywhere they go up there. He has a second Montana ranch over by Townsend, MT. I have heard that since he dropped Hanoi Jane, he has started letting some kids and local returning soldiers hunt elk and deer on the Snowcrest Ranch. He also does bison hunts. I do have to say I appreciate that he has started doing these things and I even went and tried his restaurant in Bozeman. It was quite excellent. I could never have brought myself to walk into the establishment when he was still with that POS treasonous b:!(€!
Another thing that he has done which says a little light is shining through is a desert bighorn reintroduction on one of his ranches in NM, that now has a hunt able population and tags have been issued with access granted for the past several years.
But I still wished I had the Snowcrest and he had a feather in his butt!lol
Cheers,
Cody

So I was thinking of the many Texas game ranches where people hunt down animals from Northern Africa/South Asia and then my mind shifted to parks that try to recreate the African experience like Disney's Animal Kingdom, Busch Gardens Tampa, and the San Diego Zoo Safari Park. Then it occurred to me. The savannas of Africa and the game ranches of Texas are pretty much the same climate wise so here's my idea.

1. Buy as many of these game ranches as possible until you have a parcel of land that's at least 1000 km2
2. Along with the already existing plains game species, import the celebrity animals (big five, giraffes, hippos, crocs, monkeys, etc.) from South Africa or Zimbabwe. Ideally, there should be enough animals to make a self-sustaining population without further importing.
3. Open the park as a game viewing/hunting concession

This way, people can experience a slice of wild Africa without having to leave the country and dealing with the trails and tribulations of long-distance travel.

Of course, there are many holes in this plan such as the dangers of escapee animals, invasive species, disease, etc. So since there are people here who know something about game ranching, I thought I'd run the idea here.
I am a game rancher and understand your wishes. The first problem is the land where it is pretty is too expensive. Where it is cheaper (I'm talking Texas) it's dry and covered with oil wells and not suitable but for desert species. That said it has been done, not to the level you are talking about, there are beautiful large ranches with lots of game here in a Texas. Oklahoma has cheaper productive land but too cold in winter for African animals. Even where I live I do better with Indian and North African animals. I have Addax and Nubian Ibex that do very well in our climate. Turn out some $10K Kudu and first ice storm they are all gone!
Philip

Philip Glass , what's it like managing diseases on your property?
We've never had any significant disease issues in exotics. If kept in pens there are some parasite issues but that most of it. You see Texas got its exotics from zoos which had high health standards so now we are blessed with very healthy exotics that have been thriving on private lands since the 1930's.
Philip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warpig602.0

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross