Can someone explain the appeal of cigars

FLhunter7

AH senior member
Reaction score
I've done practically every variation of smoking there is but one that I just never got was smoking cigars. Why would one risk oral cancer when you don't even or rarely get any "buzz". I've been given a few cigars when hanging with family members I have no idea what kind but besides the taste which was meh I never understood. Most everyone my age doesn't get it either the cigar shop near my college sells a lot of cheap cigars since they know we are just going to turn them into blunts anyway:A Joint:

Well, first, you *do* get a buzz. Second, the risk of mouth cancer is very low.

Cigars are smoked for the flavors.. not for the buzz..

But.. if a heavy dose of Vitamin N is what you want.. there are plenty that will set you on your heels for hours... you just need to ask the guy in the cigar for something “full strength”.... and they’ll hook you up...

Generally speaking what you’re looking for if you want heavy nicotine is something with a lot of ligero leaf in it...

A full flavor and full strength cigar worth trying is a La Flour Dominicana Chisel or an LFD Digger... either of those will make your eyes sweat...

Nothing says I got money to burn, then “smoking” a cigar.

If it was about favors, then pipe smoking would be the holy grail.

Cigar smoking is not for everyone. It takes time to acquire the taste.

I started smoking Dutchmasters and another brand I can't remember while still in high school. Cheap machine rolled cigars are not the same as good, hand rolled sticks.

My first hand rolled cigar was a Carlos Toraño Reserva Selecta I bought during my Junior year of college in 2004. It was a very different experience. It was so much smoother than the gas station Dutch's. If you took the time to experience the flavors, the complexity, you found great pleasure. It's line the difference between cheap beer and craft. Or cheap whiskey and single malt Scotch. Each batch is unique.

If you truly want to try to understand why people love cigars, I would challenge you to do sn experiment. Get a cheap cigar like a Dutch (stay away from Swisher Sweets or infused or flavored cigars), and smoke it. Then get a good, hands rolled cigar, like a Toraño Exodus 1959 or 1916 Cameroon, or an Arturo Fuente, and smoke it. Don't do anything else while smoking them. Just concentrate on what you taste, smell, experience. See if you can find the difference.

Another avenue to try, would be an Acid Kuba Kuba. These are infused cigars from Drew Estate. There is a particular flavor that is very enjoyable with these. They are what I offer people who want to smoke a cigar, but are not really cigar smokers.

One word of caution, when just trying a cigar, I would avoid maduros (the reality dark wrappers). In my experience, they can screw with people's heads if they are not used to cigars. Also, I would not start a newbie on anything from Gurkha cigars.

"A man will give you a cigarette, offer you a cigar..."
20191116_101035.jpeg

Look at what cigarettes cost and they're over- dried and stale.

Pipe smoking is a whole different discussion.

I've done practically every variation of smoking there is but one that I just never got was smoking cigars. Why would one risk oral cancer when you don't even or rarely get any "buzz". I've been given a few cigars when hanging with family members I have no idea what kind but besides the taste which was meh I never understood. Most everyone my age doesn't get it either the cigar shop near my college sells a lot of cheap cigars since they know we are just going to turn them into blunts anyway:A Joint:
Cigars stimulate all of the senses and are quite relaxing. Every time I see a doctor they have to ask if I smoke. When I say the occasional cigar, they dismiss it as irrelevant. My neighbor and friend, who is a doctor, sometimes comes over and we each have one. I enjoy them, and just can't get too worried about it.

I have sticking my toes in the water the last year or so. Much like when moving from domestic beer to craft beer, there is a process and it's going to be a little different for everyone. When giving beer advise for newbies, I tell them to buy a mix-a-6 and if they like 1 then that's a win.

That is similar to where I am with cigars. I do a lot of research before I buy, and I buy nothing but singles for maximum exposure to the entire market. There are some I smoke for 20 minutes and toss, some I think are ok, and some great. I'm too early in the process, but I know in a few years I will want to come back around to those I didn't like and see what they are like in the future. If it's like beer, I may very well find I love the ones I hated.

I have sticking my toes in the water the last year or so. Much like when moving from domestic beer to craft beer, there is a process and it's going to be a little different for everyone. When giving beer advise for newbies, I tell them to buy a mix-a-6 and if they like 1 then that's a win.

That is similar to where I am with cigars. I do a lot of research before I buy, and I buy nothing but singles for maximum exposure to the entire market. There are some I smoke for 20 minutes and toss, some I think are ok, and some great. I'm too early in the process, but I know in a few years I will want to come back around to those I didn't like and see what they are like in the future. If it's like beer, I may very well find I love the ones I hated.
I'd say you're taking a very educated approach.

One thing to look at is ratings such as Cigar Aficionado or others. Cigars with high ratings are usually a good bet.

BUT

At the end of the day, cigar preference is very personal and you should smoke what you want and enjoy.

If I might make a suggestion. Order a sampler on-line from one of the big cigar companies (Cigars International, Cigar.com, Thompson Cigar, etc.). That way you get a few of a variety of cigars to try and see what you like. The price is way less than buying them as singles.

I've done practically every variation of smoking there is but one that I just never got was smoking cigars.
Most everyone my age doesn't get it either the cigar shop near my college sells a lot of cheap cigars since they know we are just going to turn them into blunts anyway:A Joint:

So you have smoked everything else and now turn cigars into blunts and that's ok but not smoking and enjoying a nice cigar? Well maybe when you grow up you'll try one and enjoy it.

With that in mind what do you think about a nice single malt or nice bottle of fine wine, still a waste and money to burn? How about shooting 50 rounds of ammo at $4.00 a piece or flying my plane 150 miles for a hamburger?

I waited until late in life to dip my toe into tobacco due to the health risks. That said, the incident rate of cancer for cigar smokers is very low.
As to the question of why, the answer is supremely complex. The simple answer is because of the nuance of flavors and the smoke experience.
There are a wide range of flavors one can detect and they change as a cigar is smoked from start to a stubby finish.
As for the smoke experience, there are many attributes that make up the experience.
Here is a short list of mine;
Volume, Quality and color of smoke
Quality of burn (like watching a campfire)
Ash - color, texture, strength
Taste of the rolled leaf
Tranquility of the moment - twenty minutes to over an hour ….. just for me. Other priorities are temporarily put on hold because this smoke and the time it takes are mine.

There are so many good reasons to smoke a cigar I could go on for paragraphs. I like the social aspect of smoking a good cigar with friends and family. The time that is spent partaking in a smoke tend to spur on excellent conversations.

First you have to be a smoker to understand and appreciate a fine smoke.

They say its an acquired taste...o_O:confused: a taste I have never acquired.:sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::eek::eek::D:sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick:
I’m with you ses. I just don’t get it. If I don’t like something the first time I try it, I’m done whether it’s tobacco, coffee, wine or liquor I’m not going to keep at it trying to acquire a taste for it. And the stench!!! When I was a kid my grandpa smoked cigars and a pipe. If he lit up a cigar, us kids would go outside, even in the winter!
But that’s why everyone is different. It’s like musical taste. At 52 years of age Heavy Metal is still my jam! From the very first second I heard it as a kid I was hooked. People always tell me it’s garbage and screaming but I know better! That’s what I keep in mind for people who enjoy the above items that I don’t. And I’m glad that they enjoy these things!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeilaLemie

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg