Can I take my pocket clip knife in my checked baggage to South Africa

Clive

Reaction score
Media
Hi Gents,

I am traveling to South Africa in November and would like to know if I can take my pocket clip knife in my checked baggage? Any suggestions would be very helpful.

only if don't want to see it again ,cobber
I don't know where your from .
but in Australia you wont get it back

I have taken a pocket knife (Swiss Army) and my Leatherman along.
Checked baggage was no issue from Canada. Through Germany, US, Namibia, Botswana and RSA. No issues.

(DO NOT GO THROUGH AMSTERDAM on your way. They have a dislike of knives.)

Hi Yes Im from SA so i will have to read up on it

Thanks

I went through Amsterdam on my recent trip. I locked my leatherman and knife (small fixed blade not folding) in my ammo case and had no issues at all in any location.

I went through Amsterdam on my recent trip. I locked my leatherman and knife (small fixed blade not folding) in my ammo case and had no issues at all in any location.

There have been issues with blades and broad heads going through Amsterdam. Glad you did not have any issues.

I have never had an issue check bagging any sort of blade out of the US.

I placed mine with my gun and no problems.

Folder, leatherman, and fixed knife have gone and returned from SA five times, without any problems.

I have taken folding knives on every trip for gifts. Usually buck and some SCI folding knives.

I have not experienced any issues in any country that i have flown through or hunted in.

In three trips to Africa, I've taken fixed blade knives, folding blade knives and pocket tool knives in my checked baggage, never had a problem. Be darn sure to pack them in a manner that luggage handlers won't be able to find them without some trouble, there is a big problem with theft at a number of U.S. airports, and probably foreign airports as well.

I packed mine in my gun case and did not have any problems on my trip. Just don't make the mistake of trying to put it in you carry ons.....

I packed mine in my gun case and did not have any problems on my trip. Just don't make the mistake of trying to put it in you carry ons.....

Made that mistake in Durban. Nice Swiss army knife left with security. S**T!

Now all into the gun cases. Each has it own foam slot.

Never an issue for me with various knives in SA or anywhere else really. I remember going thru security on a Hawaii flight back in about '86, some gal asked to see what dinged on me in the Xray, my 3" folding Buck pocket knife. She placed it in her open palm and said it was too big to take on the plane (on my person). I took it back from her and said, "I have taken that thing thru Europe and on into Africa with no problem, so never mind". She let me keep it. Can you imagine taking that kind of attitude with TSA today?!?! They would have me on the ground in cuffs just for being a jerk! Times have changed!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg