Can I join the 9.3X62 club?

F. Vaccaro

AH fanatic
Reaction score
My almost 80yr old shoulder wants a bit or a rest. I have been reading most of the 9.3X62 threads & find it’s well thought of almost everywhere. I have a nice old Ruger #1 .375 H& H mag. that I traded for in 1987. This rifle & I have been on a lot of hunts together & I’m NOT selling or trading it. I’ve been loading my own ammo for over 60 yrs. Pondering my loading manuals, I find loads just above starting loads duplicate the 9.3X62. I loaded 10 rounds of 300gr Hornaday RN to just over 2200fps. Wanting to see if I was on paper I shot a couple 3 shot groups off the bench at 25 yds. Both groups had all 3 shots touching just below point of aim. Recoil was surprisingly light & shooting off a bench isn’t the way to lessen felt recoil. I thoroughly enjoyed the session & will load some 270gr bullets down a bit too!
so can I join the 9.3X62 club? Im

Methinks you just made half of the way to arrival ...;)
1650550481069.png

My almost 80yr old shoulder wants a bit or a rest. I have been reading most of the 9.3X62 threads & find it’s well thought of almost everywhere. I have a nice old Ruger #1 .375 H& H mag. that I traded for in 1987. This rifle & I have been on a lot of hunts together & I’m NOT selling or trading it. I’ve been loading my own ammo for over 60 yrs. Pondering my loading manuals, I find loads just above starting loads duplicate the 9.3X62. I loaded 10 rounds of 300gr Hornaday RN to just over 2200fps. Wanting to see if I was on paper I shot a couple 3 shot groups off the bench at 25 yds. Both groups had all 3 shots touching just below point of aim. Recoil was surprisingly light & shooting off a bench isn’t the way to lessen felt recoil. I thoroughly enjoyed the session & will load some 270gr bullets down a bit too!

Shooting off sticks or free hand, all my 286 gr loads are kittens. I've got Hornady SPRP 286 scooting along at about 2425 fps, also a kitten off sticks or free hand.

Off the bench, about 20 - 30 shots and I'm quite done for the day.

My 300gr 9.3x62 load is running at 2405, and at 2382 in my 9.3x74 double. So you have a little room to move up. I have my wife's 375 loaded witth 300gr aframes at 2435. I found that in the test medium I shot into several years ago that her load penetrated 2in deeper than the same bullet at 2600.

But you are still shooting a 375, however will give you half credit.

Welcome! I lost mine to a good cause;)

Attachments

• 30459.jpeg
    30459.jpeg
    207.2 KB · Views: 82
@F. Vaccaro
YES why not
Bob

By all means sir, welcome to the group. The 9.3X62 is fast becoming my favorite medium bore. I shoot 375 H&H also but I can't argue with your choice/desire to go to a 9.3. Fact is as the years go by and age catches up with us the realization hits that there are some things that just ain't as comfortable as they used to be. Keep shooting those reduced 375 loads but do enjoy the 9.3 also.

My .375 is now loaded to 9.3X62 levels & I am enjoying it, so I consider I did basically turn it into 9.3X62. The frosting on this cake is, I’m enjoying my rifle again ( this rifle & I have been on a lot of hunts together) plus I still have full .375 H&H capabilities if I need them.
Having your cake & eating it too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaeMorris

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross