Can anybody help to indicate value of this rifle?

Nardus Meyer

Reaction score
Hi

Can anybody please give us an indication on the value?

Mauser 8 x 57 JS. Serial number 3057

Regards

IMG_6859.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
It will help if you could furnish some more information about the rifle. Like is there any visible rust, the condition of the bore i.e. bright & shiny or dull & pitted, the length of the barrel, if possible the year it was made and the manufacturer. You might consider going online and looking at a site called gunsinternational and find a similar rifle to see what they are selling for. Do not just look at the asking price, many guns have an asking price with no bidders which generally means that the price is too high. Where are you located? Local prices may vary from those at other locations.

I used to own a gun shop, so understand the pretext of my comment:

Any gun (like any other item) is worth what you're willing to pay and what the seller is willing to accept. People would come in to sell their gun and say "I've got $1200 in this gun"; OK fine, but it's not worth $1200 to me, it's worth $400 or $1000, just depends.
Collectors are the worst and a funny lot; As in Winchester M70 (pre-64); SAKOs; et al.

If you're willing to pay $XXX, then to you it's an $XXX gun, to me it may be $YYY or $AAA - fill in the blanks.

Lastly, depending on where you are and where the gun is, it could influence the price; some guns are worth a lot more in the southeast US but may be worth a lot less in the NW; thus internet sales (gunbroker, et al)

It appears to be an early post war actual Mauser sporter, based on stock shape, buttplate and grip cap. These were not the pre war commercial exquisite guns made at the oberndorf factory, but rather, unused military parts assembled into new sporters. You can see the turned down military handle and round bolt knob, bottom metal front of trigger guard filled in where the sling swivel hole was. Early Williams (started 1926) sliding rear sight (outsourced or replaced later) but what appears to be original pre war front sight and hood (rare if original hood).
Action being military is probably good, maybe very good, but not of the tight pre war tolerances. Sling swivel again indicates transitional period as the swivel and stud are pre war, but the band is too wide and squared off showing early post war signs. Polyurethane coating, may be applied at a later date but can be removed and oil filled nicely.

In my opinion, this is a good gun at around US $ 500-$750 if the barrel is in good condition. It has potential for a good rebuild to a 404 or 30-06.

Hi.

Not a super collectible rifle. Here in SA could get maybe R 10k.

Also not a popular cal here in SA.

Keep it and shoot it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniata1951

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross