Can a 30-06 Over under Rifle be re-bored to 9.3x62

Morga

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Have a friend wanting to sell his OU 30-06 Merkel , I told him I was looking for one in 9.3x62 . He went on to say that most 30-06 can be rechambered for the 9.3x62 cal, Would this actually be possible for this rifle.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Different bore sizes
9.3 mm = .366”
30-06 = .308” or 7.62mm

Different bore size
.336 vs.308

The rounds you mentioned above are impossible to re-bore or are you saying it is not wise to re-bore to 30-06 , it is darn close to 9.3x62 smith said it is possible don't get it confused with 9.3x74r that is not possible at all.

I believe that what ve7poi implies, which is also what I would guess, is that the barrel walls of a double rifle are not thick enough to rebore from .308 to .366. You are looking at enlarging each bore by almost 1/16th. That is A LOT. Keep in mind that barrel walls thickness is considerably less on a double than it is on a bolt action...

Then of course, even if you had enough metal to actually rebore, which, again, I do not believe you do, you would then have to tackle the endless issue of regulation, which would likely mean unsoldering and resoldering now very thin barrels, etc.

So, in conclusion, it is both unlikely possible technically, and unlikely worth the money it would cost.

Last edited:
Well just seems it is out of reach then , on a more limited income. Stick with bolt actions then. Wish there was a company that made a affordable double rifle.

Well just seems it is out of reach then , on a more limited income. Stick with bolt actions then. Wish there was a company that made a affordable double rifle.

Baikal make double rifles. A friend of mine is a firearms dealer and nestling on a rack is a double 30-06. It’s a bit agricultural to my mind but hey it’s very affordable.
Valmet of Finland used to make O/U doubles, a friend had one in 308.
Going a bit more upmarket are Browning and Berettta. There are probably other manufacturers, I’m just not aware of them. After this costs will start to spiral.

To clarify don’t do in a double for lots of reasons barrel thickness being one very limiting area for reboring

I would say its all down to wall thickness. However being a merkel the best thing to do would be contact them and they may have the correct barrel sets for the gun.
As for affordable double rifles I have a Sabbatti and have no issues with it what so ever

Baikal make double rifles. A friend of mine is a firearms dealer and nestling on a rack is a double 30-06. It’s a bit agricultural to my mind but hey it’s very affordable.
Valmet of Finland used to make O/U doubles, a friend had one in 308.
Going a bit more upmarket are Browning and Berettta. There are probably other manufacturers, I’m just not aware of them. After this costs will start to spiral.

The Baikal has always been interesting. Since they make it in a 45-70, I would assume the 30-06 uses the same barrel and could be rebored. However, the Baikal can not shoot the heavy 45-70 loads. So I'm not sure if it could take the pressure of the 9.3x62

So, first of all, your friend is wrong with regard to a double rifle. A truly skilled gunmaker could probably use the mono-block of the Merkel as the basis for installing and regulating a set of 9.3x74R barrels. That sort of skilled work would run at least 3-4K USD. At least by anyone I would trust.

But why ruin such a useful rifle? Except for DG (excluding leopard), a 30-06 can handle anything you would want to hunt in Africa or darn near anywhere else. It is one reason I have 30-06 barrels for my Blaser S2. And I would much rather own a nice Merkel OU in ‘06 than any half dozen Baikals regardless of caliber.

YES. it can be re=chambered and re-bored to a 9.3x62 or 9.3x64..but Id suggest selling it and buying one in whatever caliber I wanted..This project would further require re-regulation and sight in...expensive project..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasS111

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!