Can 9.3x74R be used for Cape buffalo and/or leopard and other dangerous game in most African countries?

JMV375

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Europe
Member of
NRA
What are minimum caliber requirements for dangerous game in most African countries ?
I very much want to use my 9.3x74R rifle on dangerous game (Cape buffalo and leopard).
I was very successful with 9.3x74R for Namibian plains game hunt a few years back.
Is this allowed in some of the more popular African dangerous game destinations ?
Regards,
JMV375

I’m pretty sure but stand to be corrected if wrong. As I understand the 375 is the minimum caliber for DG In most African countries.

It can be used in Mozambique. Of that, I‘m sure. Also Ethiopia, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Benin and Zambia (for leopard and lion only).

I’m pretty sure that it’s legal in Zimbabwe too, but there’s a stipulation about minimum energy requirements that have to be made (I can’t reliably say how much the minimum is, but I’m sure somebody else will chip in).

I know a white hunter in Tanzania who was using a combination gun in 9.3x74mm R/12 gauge (2 3/4”) as his weapon of choice for following up wounded leopards in Tanzania in 2006.

Last edited:
It is legal in Some areas. Boddington wrote an article about taking a buff with a double 9.3X74R and it proved adequate. Best bet is to check with your PH to see if legal in his area and if so if he will take you out armed with that rifle. It'll kill a buff, but it's not a stopping rifle by any stretch. I'd highly recommend Swift 286grn A-Frames if they will regulate in your rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg