Camo patterns (pics please)

WebleyGreene455

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Good evening everyone.

This is kinda an odd question for this site 'cause it has little to do with hunting (and I'm not sure it belongs under this category but since it's technically gear-related, I figured why not?), but I figured some of y'all might be able to help anyway 'cause I've seen a few pics of folks on here wearing military camouflage while hunting (mostly in the USA).

I'm looking for pictures of MultiCam/MC Tropic/MC Arid gear over British DPM/Desert DPM and/or German Flecktarn/Tropentarn uniforms/clothing. Unfortunately all I've really been able to find are not-so-great pics taken of airsoft players' gear (which is fine and all but the lighting in them usually isn't so good or the pics have been intentionally made kinda "gritty"). So if anyone happens to be able to provide some pics, I'd appreciate them. Plate carriers or vests would be preferable but any example of a MC pattern gear over either of the British/German patterns would be cool.

Thanks,
~~W.G.455

Screenshot from sportsman’s guide. Check them out you might find your pictures.

BD3041E3-74CF-4FE2-8FFC-035911B99EE7.png

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 348333
Screenshot from sportsman’s guide. Check them out you might find your pictures.
Oh I have lots of pics of the camos themselves, both the MC patterns and the British/German. But having them paired up together is hard to find.

And yes, I think Flecktarn works pretty well compared to some of its contemporaries. It's still in use with the Bundeswehr long after the US abandoned M85 Woodland and tricolor DCU, for example, or at least I'm pretty sure it is. Definitely the desert Tropentarn is still in use because I've seen recent pics of German troops in the Middle East wearing it; I reckon the Multicam patterns would match up with those pretty well. It's the British DPMs I'm not so sure about.

Sorry I miss understood.
The DPM is my favorite looking Camo, but maybe not the most practical.
You're good, no worries. I do like DPM myself but it must've been made for certain parts of Europe because I think it'd really stick out in a lot of the world.

Interesting. I went through the whole camo drill for nearly a decade, and finally concluded about twenty years ago that my grandfather was right all along and it is scent and movement that matters. Moss green, loden, basic kaki seem to work just fine for the hunting that I do. I admit, that I no longer hang out in trees trying to stick deer with an arrow. But for rifle hunting, I never use camo.

Interesting. I went through the whole camo drill for nearly a decade, and finally concluded about twenty years ago that my grandfather was right all along and it is scent and movement that matters. Moss green, loden, basic kaki seem to work just fine for the hunting that I do. I admit, that I no longer hang out in trees trying to stick deer with an arrow. But for rifle hunting, I never use camo.
Oh like I said this really has little to do with hunting (at least for me). It might've been better posted in the General section. But based on the behavior of the deer that come near my back fence and the two I encountered in the woods today, it's definitely sound and movement that matter. 'Course, the sounds of them tearing off into the brush was noisier than anything I was making.

But no, this is just a personal interest topic to sate some curiosity.

Oh like I said this really has little to do with hunting (at least for me).
If I may ask...if not hunting, for what purpose do you intend to use the camo?
If the members here know the intended use, we could be of more assistance.

I also agree with @Red Leg that most of the time when rifle hunting, camo is not necessary.
I stick to dark greens, dark browns and other earth tones to blend in, even when archery hunting.
Maybe a dark grey or slate colored clothing for hunting mountains or in rocky areas.
Outside of maybe a boonie hat, I don't think I own any camo at all.

If I may ask...if not hunting, for what purpose do you intend to use the camo?
If the members here know the intended use, we could be of more assistance.

I also agree with @Red Leg that most of the time when rifle hunting, camo is not necessary.
I stick to dark greens, dark browns and other earth tones to blend in, even when archery hunting.
Maybe a dark grey or slate colored clothing for hunting mountains or in rocky areas.
Outside of maybe a boonie hat, I don't think I own any camo at all.
Mix of buying an all-purpose set of tactical gear that would go with multiple camo patterns besides the multicam family (maybe for airsoft or maybe just for the fun of it) and of some research into how I oughta equip some characters if I get back into fiction-writing and text-based roleplaying game sorta stuff. And as I said, because I'm just curious how those patterns would match up with each other.

And as for hunting etc with camo, yesterday I was wearing my usual dark-khaki T-shirt and black gym shorts on my hike. I'm pretty sure the deer I encountered (pair of young males still in velvet) would've spotted me regardless of what I was wearing because I was walking along the trail and spooked them and they only scarpered off into the brush when I took a step backward to get a better shot (was gonna take a photo of 'em); the family that frequent the plants around my back fence, I can stand on my back porch in a light orange T-shirt and light-khaki cargo shorts and they won't even notice me (or don't seem to) unless I make a noise or some sudden movement when they're looking in my direction. It's my understanding that they're both colorblind to a degree and have less acute vision compared to a human, which makes sense considering the size of their ears and how they use them to pinpoint the source of a sound as I've seen them do.

Mix of buying an all-purpose set of tactical gear that would go with multiple camo patterns besides the multicam family (maybe for airsoft or maybe just for the fun of it) and of some research into how I oughta equip some characters if I get back into fiction-writing and text-based roleplaying game sorta stuff. And as I said, because I'm just curious how those patterns would match up with each other.

And as for hunting etc with camo, yesterday I was wearing my usual dark-khaki T-shirt and black gym shorts on my hike. I'm pretty sure the deer I encountered (pair of young males still in velvet) would've spotted me regardless of what I was wearing because I was walking along the trail and spooked them and they only scarpered off into the brush when I took a step backward to get a better shot (was gonna take a photo of 'em); the family that frequent the plants around my back fence, I can stand on my back porch in a light orange T-shirt and light-khaki cargo shorts and they won't even notice me (or don't seem to) unless I make a noise or some sudden movement when they're looking in my direction. It's my understanding that they're both colorblind to a degree and have less acute vision compared to a human, which makes sense considering the size of their ears and how they use them to pinpoint the source of a sound as I've seen them do.
I read an article from The University of Georgia that did a study on deer seeing colors.
https://www.qdma.com/hunters-guide-deer-vision/
To oversimplify their research, Whitetail Deer see blue and yellow very well, and red & orange not nearly as well.
Essentially they are red-green color blind.
White light is made up of the three primary colors...red, blue and yellow.

I demonstrated this to a friend of mine using a red flashlight with deer in our backyard.
I have a very intense red beam flashlight for predator hunting.
I shined it on them, what they were eating and they never even moved.
Then I used a white flashlight...they spooked and retreated to the woods.
My friend said he wouldn't have believed it if he hadn't seen it for himself.

Just like our Fathers and Grandfathers before us...
You are safe wearing that old red & black wool jacket and blaze orange hat while deer hunting.

Last edited:
I read an article from The University of Georgia that did a study on deer seeing colors.
To oversimplify their research, Whitetail Deer see blue and yellow very well, and red not nearly as well.
White light is made up of the three primary colors...red, blue and yellow.

I demonstrated this to a friend of mine using a red flashlight with deer in our backyard.
I have a very intense red beam flashlight for predator hunting.
I shined it on them, what they were eating and they never even moved.
Then I used a white flashlight...they spooked and retreated to the woods.
My friend said he wouldn't have believed it if he hadn't seen it for himself.
Well you know what's kinda curious about that is, the ones around my house also roam into our front yard, neighbors' front yards, and an empty lot at the start of our street. And when a car turns at night, they don't even seem to notice or really care that it's there. Even when you turn your brights on full they take very little notice and just keep grazing. I guess they're just more used to cars and the lights 'cause, y'know, suburbia. You'd think the lights would spook them but they don't seem to.

Well you know what's kinda curious about that is, the ones around my house also roam into our front yard, neighbors' front yards, and an empty lot at the start of our street. And when a car turns at night, they don't even seem to notice or really care that it's there. Even when you turn your brights on full they take very little notice and just keep grazing. I guess they're just more used to cars and the lights 'cause, y'know, suburbia. You'd think the lights would spook them but they don't seem to.
City deer...go figure.
We have them here as well.
They got any more tame, I could kill them with a hammer.

Spanish Army desert pattern

0YYMGxM.jpg

Attachments

• 0YYMGxM.jpg
    0YYMGxM.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 93
Not precisely what you asked for, but: British desert camo trousers, plain T-shirt, U.S. woodlands camo cap. Hog hunting in the Texas Hill Country.

In order to break up the outline I use an Italian "vegetata" camo, with a pair of trousers in British DPM. The jacket is comfy, a lot of pockets and once washed a couple of time, has a nice toned down color.
s-l500.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you