CAMEROON: Lord Derby Eland Hunting Safari 2016

Day 1

We arrived Douala on time, Air France performed very well thus far. Amadou, the meet and greet person for Mayo Oldiri met us in baggage claim and quickly began the process of clearing my rifle. I took a new rig that will most likely become my go to Safari rifle. It is an H-S Precision 2000 LA takedown with two barrels, one in 300 RUM and the other 375 RUM with iron sights. I zeroed each, independently with their own scopes utilizing Talley detachable rings. The 300 with a Leupold VX
4-14 and the 375 with the new Leupold VX 2-12 firedot. The new Leupolds are very bright, I am impressed. Also, the firedot (illuminated dot in the plex reticle) was of great benefit in the unusual light I experienced on this hunt. The sands from the Sahara create an almost fog like look which makes for strange shadowing and light dispersion.

After the cursory tips and 90 minutes later we were off to the Star Land Hotel for the overnight. A quick shower, I met my hunting partner at the bar for a scotch then a great dinner of huge king prawns.

Day 2

I slept very well, no need to rise early as Camair changed the Garoua flight to the afternoon so we had a leisurely morning, late lunch then left at half passed three for the airport. Another round of dancing with the officials over the rifle and we were on the flight at 5:30 headed north. We finally arrived Garoua more than an hour late due to a delayed departure and time on the ground in Yaounde. Our P.H.'s met us at the airport, Guy Le Bohec would be with my friend and I will be hunting with Churton Wright, a South African dividing his time as a P.H. between Tanzania and Cameroon.

Now, passed 9 o'clock it was decided to have dinner, stay the night in Garoua and take off early the next day. A five plus hour drive in the middle of the night in north Cameroon is not a good idea. The roads are terrible and you never know when or where cattle, sheep or goats will appear.

We stayed in guest rooms at the Mayo Oldiri office and were off at 5:30, first light was about 6.

Here it comes....:A Popcorn:

Day 3

It wasn't long out of Garoua we left pavement, headed for the Mayo Vaimba camp. As we traveled away from the city, there were fewer and fewer villages. About four hours passed and we turned off the road to a dirt track at the last small village. Shortly thereafter we were in the concession and we reached camp by 11, a beautiful sight overlooking a long stretch of the Vaimba River. If I wasn't hunting, sleeping or eating I was on the veranda in a comfortable chair looking up and down the river. Daily sightings of Waterbuck, Kob, Bushbuck and Baboon along with a wide array of bird life. One of the most beautiful camp settings I've ever seen.

DSCN0158.JPG

We settled in, had a wonderful lunch the checked the rifle. I'm starting out with the 375 RUM. All was good and we headed out for a drive at 3. It was a great first evening, an abundance of game throughout the area. Fifteen minutes out of camp we spotted a 24" Waterbuck, five minutes later a similar bull followed by several Kob, two Roan bulls, one being 24/25" not spooked at all. Later in the evening we saw several Western Hartebeest and at sunset a very nice Waterbuck bull +/- 28". We put a stalk on him but he slipped away.

Back to camp about by 6:30 for a scotch and a shower. I took my place on the veranda and the waiter Adoum, a jovial man who has been in this camp for 25 + years met me with a smile and a glass of ice! I sat and relished the moment, the sights, sounds and smells of Africa. My mind went back to five weeks ago today, I was in an emergency room in Austin, Texas with my 13 and 16 year old sons being examined after we were in a horrific rollover accident from hydroplaning off the highway. By the Grace of God we all walked away with only some bumps, bruises and scratches.

Another great meal followed by a cigar to help me finish off the night listening to the sounds of Africa. Up at 5:30 tomorrow.

.............. A five plus hour drive in the middle of the night in north Cameroon is not a good idea. The roads are terrible and you never know when or where cattle, sheep or goats will appear.

A reality if you are hunting remote Africa.

Last edited:
Good luck brother....My dream hunt!

Here it comes indeed!

Day 4

I woke about 45 minutes early, lying in bed listening to the day come to life. I spent some time in prayer, giving thanks for this great opportunity, to be here hunting in this special place.

We were off promptly at 5:30 after a coffee and toast. The temperature felt to be in the low 60's which put a bit of chill in me as we drove at a good clip for nearly an hour. We arrived a place where they had seen tracks recently and stopped the vehicle and began to walk the road. The bush was different from how I remember C.A.R., this was greener, but certainly with a lot of brown due to the scorched leaves from the burns.

Twenty minutes into the walk we cut Eland tracks. The trackers studied them and proceeded up the road another 100 yards and the bull track was located. They started tracking him back to the herd tracks we cut and after some time decided the spoor was too old so back to the road we went. About 15 minutes later the tracker Apoloner stopped us, he saw an Eland bull in the bush. Before my binoculars made it to my eyes he was off, crashing through the brush. Churton spoke to the head tracker Hassan and after they all convened they decided not to follow as the bull would be on alert and difficult to get a shot on.

We continued down the road stopping several times to look at spoor but there was nothing promising. We then took to the landcruiser and went to another area. While driving we spotted a second big Waterbuck bull and we took off after him. We circled around and got the wind then moved slowly looking for the bull. About 10 minutes in I spotted the bull in the shade of a big tree about 150 yards away. Churton put up the sticks and I got on the bull. It was difficult to see clearly with the hazy conditions and the shade made it difficult but I located his shoulder and squeezed off. The shot felt perfect but Churton said the bull turned just as I shot. The tracker Justine walked down and immediately found my shot, I hit the tree behind the bull! Waterbuck 2, Me Zero!

The morning was growing on and we were pushing back towards camp as the temperature was in the 90's. A few K's out of camp about 11:30 a very nice Bohor Reedbuck was spotted not far off the road standing in a small shaded area. We got out and made a short stalk and took him with a clean shot. Back to camp for lunch and some rest, we'll go back out at 3. The midday temperatures reached the high 90's to 100 when it was clear. The days the dust was heavy we'd get a 5-10 degree reprieve from the heat.

DSCN0163.JPG

We were off at 3, back to the place of this morning to look for Eland tracks. Two of the trackers went the opposite direction in the concession this afternoon to look for fresh sign. We arrived around 4 and started walking a large semi-circle through the general area. A lot of sign but no fresh Eland tracks. By 6:25 we were to a meeting place with the car and started the hour drive back to camp. Shortly after we took off as we rounded a corner buffalo were spotted. We quickly jumped off and pursued, the wind was good but the light fading fast. The largest bull was a bit soft bossed, but it was exciting getting to within 15 yards of the 3 bulls. Quietly we backed out and walked to the car. We got to camp just after 7 and it was the same drill - a scotch and a shower then a nice meal and early to bed. A new plan for the morning, fresh sign was found by the other trackers and we would try to get on the herd.

Day 5

I slept til the knock, I guess I needed it. A quick cup of coffee and we were off at 6. We arrived at the place in 20 minutes so we waited for a bit more light before setting off. By 6:30 we were walking and we were on sign within 30 minutes. We followed this herd steady until 11, realizing they were still quite a bit ahead of us. We reached a road around 11:30 and found where they had crossed earlier in the day. Over lunch we discussed with Joaquin Morales, the Savannah Coordinator for Mayo Oldiri and original holder of this concession for 27 years. He gave us his advice and told us how to pursue that herd into the wooded place they were heading.

Three o'clock came and we were back at it, in the place where the herd was thought to be by 3:45. We moved slowly through the area finding a lot of fresh sign. Walking in what seemed like circles much of the time I didn't understand what was happening but later learned the trackers were following all the places the Eland had been walking and feeding that day. It was hot, for sure approaching 100 degrees and the day grew on. The trackers were spread out over about a 40 yard area when one started making a clicking noise and pointing. Totally surprised and out of nowhere the Eland herd was moving in a line, trotting in front of us from right to left at 90-100 yards. They were on the move, passing through the trees and I never had an opportunity to shoot a bull. There were many animals in the group of all sizes, maybe as many as 40 with at least 3 bulls. Tired and dejected, we cut a straight line out of there and headed for the car, the end of a long day.

Day 6

Over dinner last night Joaquin suggested we start again the same as yesterday, he believed the Eland were traveling a feeding pattern through the area. He joined us for the hunt and we were on the tracks by 6:45. We moved quickly along the tracks but an hour into it we found fresh sign where they had been feeding and it was several hours old. Joaquin, Churton and the trackers spoke and it was decided we should go straight to the road and cut the tracks as they were likely going back to the same place as yesterday for the afternoon. We reached the road and radioed the driver, he showed up about 10 minutes later. It's around 9:15 now and not 5 minutes into the drive the Eland herd was spotted, trotting through the bush, parallel to the road 150 yards off quartering away. We drove ahead a few hundred yards and got off the car then moved quickly to gain sight of them. The herd had dropped into a bit of a valley and were standing and milling about 250 yards in some trees. We moved up 50 yards and set the sticks. Immediately I spotted a mature bull in the clear, big black neck and heavy horns. I said "see the bull all the way left, I'm on him and can take him". Churton said " no, no wait - there's a bigger bull towards the middle, look right". I scanned with the scope on 12X and caught site of the bull which clearly had longer horns. He was in the mix of cows and never offered a clear shot. Three minutes later they moved off.

Joaquin spoke to Hassan and said "we go now quickly, a few K's down the road and try to get in front of them". We hurried back to the car and drove ahead then set out on foot. Carefully moving through the bush by 10, Joseph spotted an Eland ahead of us about 100 yards in a heavily wooded mott of trees. The wind was perfect but as we learned, when the day heats up by 10:30-11 it will change direction. We glassed the mott for at least 10 minutes and no bull was spotted. We moved closer, slowly and quietly finally to a point 40 yards from the cow! I checked my watch and knew time wasn't on our side as we watched it grow hotter. Another 20 minutes passed and everyone sat down with Joaquin and Churton taking turns standing and watching the Eland. After the hunt, Joaquin said we were so close he could see some Eland cows sleeping with their eyes closed! Hassan, Joaquin, Churton and I were all within 5 feet of each other speculating to ourselves on the outcome. Off in the distance, I herd an unusual sound. First I thought it was an airplane but as it got closer the "thwopping" sound I knew it was a helicopter. I looked at Churton he mouthed "Huey". There is a base near Garoua where the Cameroon Army and some advisors head to the north hunting boko haram. The Huey didn't pass over us but was close enough to agitate the Eland and they woke from their nap. Joaquin whispered "a bull passed left" so I was up on the sticks looking about in the thick bush intently. Hassan saw movement going right and grabbed the sticks, moved out farther to my right and set them. Churton was by my side and said "if we're lucky they'll come out in this open place on the right". All of the sudden I caught the bulls horns moving through the bush nearing the edge. As he began to step out, 60 yards in front of us I said "I'm on the big one, I'm on him". Churton said take him and I squeezed off. The Giant bucked and turned back towards us Joaquin shouted "shoot him again" quartering at us I hit him on the front edge of his shoulder at 20 yards and quickly reloaded. At 10 yards I hit him square on the shoulder and you could see his body physically pushed by the 375 RUM. The bull passed us to our left at 6 yards and bailed up. Quite the excitement I hurried to the bull and he was magnificent, he looked to be over 50", I knew I had shot a truly spectacular trophy.

After the adrenaline wore off and everyone settled down I asked the P.H.'s if they'd ever been charged by an Eland - they laughed and both said no!

DSCN0181.JPG

It took more than an hour to take pictures, remove the skin and quarter the bull. By time we got back to camp it was after 1PM. We arrived in traditional celebratory fashion with trackers singing, blowing whistles and blowing the horn on the car. Adoum and Paschal met us, dancing and waving branches, then carried me from the car to my room! It was quite the experience and I’ll never forget it.

DSCN0172.JPG

I had brought a special bottle of champagne to toast the Eland so after a quick shower we were on the veranda celebrating. Joaquin spoke of how it is nearly impossible to stay 45 minutes sitting so close to the Eland undetected. Churton spoke of our continuous luck with spotting the herd from the road, getting in front of them, getting so close, only to have the sound of the distant Huey get them moving. Finally, the big bull exiting on our side presenting a shot, so much luck. I sipped my champagne and said "no luck involved, I've been praying to St. Hubertus for years when I hunt and today was no different". Every moment we stopped, every time we saw the Eland, waiting to see the bull I was always praying. So I gave a toast to St. Hubertus in thanksgiving for a successful hunt and said "I'd rather be Blessed than lucky"!

I wanted to savor the moment so we took the balance of the day off. The trackers had a big meal of fresh Eland, Churton went fishing and I smoked a big cigar and drank scotch then took a nap at 5. I woke about 6:30 and started all over again!

The final measurement put the bull at 52", What a Blessing.

Day 7

We woke at 5:30 today, a touch of a hangover to say the least. But the cool air and some Advil got me on my way. Roan was my #2 specie and this area was teeming with them. Early on in the day we spotted a lone bull, heavily broomed of about 25" so I passed. I have 7 more hunting days so didn't want to rush it. This will be the last sub specie of Roan for me so I wanted a good bull. Through the morning we encountered several groups of Roan. In total I saw more than 25 Roan during the morning hunt, several being bulls and passed on two. I was lucky and we spotted a Grimm's Duiker from the car and were able to make a short stalk and take him. A nice male and a trophy I was very happy to collect.
DSCN0196.JPG

Lunchtime was another great meal, this time Nile Perch caught fresh from the river. The plan was for Eland tenderloin tonight and I couldn't wait.

We set out about 3 to look for Roan when less than a half hour into the drive a Waterbuck bull was spotted to our right. We stopped to glass him but he was not more than 25" so we passed. Before we started the car, Joseph spotted an exceptional Waterbuck that was slipping away about 150 yards to our left. We got down quietly and eased through the bush. I was able to get a shot at about 140 yard, the bull ran another hundred before dying. A very nice, wide bull near 28".

DSCN0204.JPG

Dinner was amazing, the Eland tenderloin was the best, of course the moment can make the meal but Paschal the cook is very skilled. Another cigar and a scotch then off to bed. Back in search of Roan tomorrow.

Day 8

Up at 5:30, usual cup of coffee then gone. Barely 10 minutes into the drive the trackers spotted a big Roan Bull, we tracked him for a half hour never regaining sight so we pressed on. We covered a lot of ground this day and saw a lot of game but it was hot. There was fresh buffalo sign in 4 different places, tons of Oribi, Waterbuck, Hartebeast and some Kob. As we hunted through the day, we saw at least 35 Roan, I stalked on 4 bulls, passed 3 never caught up to the other.

Day 9

I got a great night’s sleep, woke at 4:05 to the sounds of a Leopard working up and down the river. I felt good and I spent the extra time in prayer and reflection. Coffee at 5:30 and we were off. It seemed a bit off today, we struggled to find Roan the first three hours. By 10, Churton made a comment about the lack of Roan we'd seen and I asked him what time it was. He said 10, I said "give it time we have generally seen Roan around 10:30-11:30 the past few days". Not 20 minutes later a herd was spotted moving ahead of us a couple of hundred yards. After they crossed the road we got ahead of them and moved slowly to locate the herd. When we finally did they were walking, quartering away at 125 yards. I was up on the sticks following them through the bush. The bull was last and I said "I'm on him". Churton said "take him if you get a clear shot". I could see an opening in the trees coming up so I steadied on his shoulder and fired when he was clear. He bucked and ran, quickly we pursued him and within a minute he was spotted about a hundred yards ahead laying down, but his head up. I put a finisher in him then we carefully approached. A beautiful old bull with thick bases and well over 27, I was elated.
DSCN0217.JPG

Back in camp for lunch and after a siesta, we took off in search of Olive Baboon around 3:30. We walked up the river, glassing for about an hour and a half before a troop was located. All the while we saw Waterbuck, Red Flanked Duiker and 12 Bushbuck! Three of which were rams however I was not going to shoot unless I saw something exceptional. I had already taken a nice one on my trip to the C.A.R. back in '91. We saw a big male Baboon in the troop so we moved back off the river to come around and make an approach without being spotted. Well, of course they saw us on final approach and crossed the river before we could get a shot. We watched them climb a tree then Churton said "see that red tree, look towards the top, the male is looking at us, you think you can hit him?" I said "it looks like 200 yards or do, yea with a good rest". I put a backpack down on the ground, settled in for the shot, I put the dot right below his chin and squeezed off, down he came. Churton and Joseph crossed the river and carried him back. Justine cut a pole and he and Joseph packed him out. My first Baboon in 24 safaris, I guess I just never made it a priority.

DSCN0221.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN0217.JPG
    DSCN0217.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 194
Day 10

I slept in this morning, up about 7. We will move to the Mayo Oldiri camp today to hunt Kob, there is a much higher density there. I relaxed in camp this morning, savoring the experiences sitting in my place. I watched rutting Kob in the riverbed, fish eagles and ibis, egrets and Baboons.

DSCN0219.JPG

We left camp around noon and got to Oldiri before 4. I switched barrels and hunted the Kob with the 300 RUM. Within 15 minutes I'd seen more Kob at Oldiri than 9 days in Vaimba! Therefore, we were particular and didn't shoot the first day. It was nice to see my friend that evening, share a meal and swap stories.

Thank you for taking us along on your journey! I think it is one that most of us only dream about ... but damn, it was a nice dream!!!!!

Day 11

Up at 5:30 coffee and on the road. Immediately we started seeing Kob, just not an old enough ram. Mid-morning we spotted a pair of bushbuck, the ram very old and broomed off, may 9" at best. We encountered Grimm's and Red Flanked Duiker, Waterbuck and hundreds of Kob. Finally, late morning a nice Kob was spotted about 160 yards so I settled in for a shot. I missed! We looked for quite some time and it was a clean miss. All I can figure was the bullet deflected off of a stick or something. About a half hour later another nice, old male was spotted with wide horns. He was in heavy cover but when I got on him I continued to follow him. It took the better part of 10 minutes but he came clear and one shot through the shoulder he was down. A warrior with broomed tips, torn ears and battle scars.

DSCN0276.JPG

We spent the evening hunt walking along the Oldiri River looking for Bushbuck. We saw several Colobus Monkey and some Baboon, but no Bushbuck. Not a problem, I'd had a great safari that had far exceeded my expectations. We were back in camp for sunset and a beer, a fitting end to a grand safari in the Savannah of Cameroon.

Special thanks to Churton Wright for his patience and excellent trophy judgment, Joaquin Morales for his calm, confidence while hunting Eland and last but not least my trackers Hassan, Jospeph, Apoloner' and Justine. This was a great group of men to hunt with, I will cherish the memories for ever.

Magnificent Eland. Beautiful trophies. Big congratulations.

Congrats! Thanks for sharing! Awesome trophies

A question. What kind of license did you have? These are all great trophies, and you seem to have gotten quite a few of them! Was it a "big hunting" license or did you add a medium license? Or something else?

Thanks and thanks for the report.

JE,

Congratulations on a number of great trophies. Especially the LDE, an absolutely beautiful animal.

Thanks for sharing the report and photos. Truly a memorable hunt.(y)

I'm happy for your successes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg