AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Namibia, Cameroon, Spain, Alaska, RSA, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, British Columbia, Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming
Just asking if anyone has information on Cameroon hunting blocks 21 and 17.
Mostly wanting to know from anyone who has hunted them recently or knows about the quality and quantity of game, specifically Lord Derby Eland and Savannah Buffalo, and anything else important. Thanks!

Sounds like a plan may be coming together.;)

If you don't get enough feedback, you might reach out to Christophe Morio. He seems to know quite a bit about all the west African hunting nations.

Just asking if anyone has information on Cameroon hunting blocks 21 and 17.
Mostly wanting to know from anyone who has hunted them recently or knows about the quality and quantity of game, specifically Lord Derby Eland and Savannah Buffalo, and anything else important. Thanks!
I think I was in block 15 on the Faro river in January. Which outfitter are you hunting with? My decision to hunt with Nicolas Dubitch, who books with The Hunting Consortium and Travels & Expeditions, was that they allow you to buy two hunting licenses giving you the opportunity to hunt all the game and specifically the big 3 of Eland, Roan, and Buffalo.
I saw large numbers of Kob, Red Flanked Duiker, and Buffalo. The Eland were there but very elusive as they are anywhere. It is a true adventure!
Philip

Fairly certain I won't be traveling to Cameroon anytime soon:

https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...vel-Country-Information-Pages/Cameroon.html#/

Embassy personnel are restricted from traveling to the Northwest, Southwest, North, and Far North Regions of Cameroon, as well as within 20 kilometers of the border with the Central African Republic in Adamawa and East Regions, and within 20 kilometers of the border with Nigeria and north of Ngaoudere in the Adamawa Region.

The terrorist organizations Boko Haram and ISIS-West Africa are active in Far North, North, and Adamawa Regions of Cameroon. There have been suicide bomb attacks in public places in urban areas resulting in numerous deaths and injuries. Attacks are indiscriminate, and have impacted places frequented by foreigners. Refrain from travel outside of city limits after dark, and be cautious when in places of worship, markets, hotels, parks, and sporting venues. Terrorist attacks are most common outside major towns, especially in the regions bordering Nigeria and Chad. Terrorists regularly cross the border to carry out attacks in Cameroon’s Far North, North, and Adamawa regions. Violent criminal attacks are common in the regions bordering the Central African Republic (CAR). The following is specific safety and security information related to various parts of Cameroon:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 7.16.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 7.16.21 PM.png
    575.2 KB · Views: 108
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 7.16.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 7.16.22 PM.png
    663.4 KB · Views: 101
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 7.16.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 7.16.24 PM.png
    829 KB · Views: 109
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 7.16.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 7.16.26 PM.png
    673.8 KB · Views: 118
Might want to look up Guav Johnson also

https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...vel-Country-Information-Pages/Cameroon.html#/

Embassy personnel are restricted from traveling to the Northwest, Southwest, North, and Far North Regions of Cameroon, as well as within 20 kilometers of the border with the Central African Republic in Adamawa and East Regions, and within 20 kilometers of the border with Nigeria and north of Ngaoudere in the Adamawa Region.

The terrorist organizations Boko Haram and ISIS-West Africa are active in Far North, North, and Adamawa Regions of Cameroon. There have been suicide bomb attacks in public places in urban areas resulting in numerous deaths and injuries. Attacks are indiscriminate, and have impacted places frequented by foreigners. Refrain from travel outside of city limits after dark, and be cautious when in places of worship, markets, hotels, parks, and sporting venues. Terrorist attacks are most common outside major towns, especially in the regions bordering Nigeria and Chad. Terrorists regularly cross the border to carry out attacks in Cameroon’s Far North, North, and Adamawa regions. Violent criminal attacks are common in the regions bordering the Central African Republic (CAR). The following is specific safety and security information related to various parts of Cameroon:
It’s never going to get better sadly, so if you want to go you just need to go. I’m booked to go in January 2021 if this Covid insanity doesn’t prevent me from going. The outfitter said in 20 years they’ve never had any issues so I’m going to trust they know how to keep their clients safe. They said Boko Haram is only in the extreme far north. I think most of these warnings apply to tourists taking too much for granted and getting themselves into situations they shouldn’t.

Thanks, I have an outfitter lined up already (I think) but just wanted to do a bit more due diligence from outside sources before committing.

n:

This was much the same when I was there last year. In fact, the Cameroon Special Forces were in our block because of Boko Haram activity in the area. But the real activity is farther north than most of the LDE hunting. We hunted the Mayo Nduel area, I never felt unsafe at any time (other than when we ran into armed poachers . . .). I trusted my outfitter - Mayo Oldiri Safaris. Having said that, you have to be very patient - I've been to Cameroon twice, and everything involving internal transportation or government is a gong show.

Might want to look up Guav Johnson also

Guav was my PH on this hunt. We've hunted together a few times and I rank him as one of the top PH's in Africa. He works for himself in Zimbabwe and for Mayo Older in Cameroon.

We were lucky - or I was - we got our Eland on day 1, although it was a long day 1. I'm not in as good shape as I used to be, and this is tough hunting. The hunter who came in after me took 11 days I think. After that, Western Savanah buffalo was reasonably plentiful, but that doesn't mean they are easy to take.

This was much the same when I was there last year. In fact, the Cameroon Special Forces were in our block because of Boko Haram activity in the area. But the real activity is farther north than most of the LDE hunting. We hunted the Mayo Nduel area, I never felt unsafe at any time (other than when we ran into armed poachers . . .). I trusted my outfitter - Mayo Oldiri Safaris. Having said that, you have to be very patient - I've been to Cameroon twice, and everything involving internal transportation or government is a gong show.

Guav was my PH on this hunt. We've hunted together a few times and I rank him as one of the top PH's in Africa. He works for himself in Zimbabwe and for Mayo Older in Cameroon.

We were lucky - or I was - we got our Eland on day 1, although it was a long day 1. I'm not in as good shape as I used to be, and this is tough hunting. The hunter who came in after me took 11 days I think. After that, Western Savanah buffalo was reasonably plentiful, but that doesn't mean they are easy to take.

Thanks for the info - do you happen to know what blocks you were hunting in? I have heard the same report about Guav being a top P.H. as well as seeing him on T.V. As I understand it, Mayo Oldiri has some of the best areas in the savannah.

Thanks for the info - do you happen to know what blocks you were hunting in? I have heard the same report about Guav being a top P.H. as well as seeing him on T.V. As I understand it, Mayo Oldiri has some of the best areas in the savannah.

I don't actually know what the number(s) of the block was. I was just going by the name. Mayo Nduel is one of two contiguous blocks which is just south of Bouba Ndjida National Park. One advantage is that this area is well within Cameroon, away from any borders, and away from the main Boko Haram areas well to the north. When I was there the army came by to make sure that the "American hunter" in camp had not been injured in the encounter with the poachers. I was going to point out that I was in fact a Canadian, when Guav gave me the "don't you dare say a word" look.

Mayo Older has been in Cameroon a long time and they have some excellent blocks. I would say that their camps tend to the more rustic side - some I know have air conditioned chalets and french chefs doing the cooking. There is none of that at Mayo Oldiri, although everything is quite comfortable.

A word to the wise. If you are speaking to Guav, whatever you do, don't call him Ryan (his real name, which is a secret) and don't say anything bad about Avril Lavigne.

Well it aint a secret anymore!:LOL:

Yeah, me and 10000 other guys!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hello my friend @K-man ,

If you have not booked your hunt yet let me know if you have any questions regarding Cameroon. My partner in France is good friends with Christophe, maybe I can help you out with some answers you need.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

All my best,

Jacques

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 9.13.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 9.13.07 AM.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 94
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 9.13.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 9.13.08 AM.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 87
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 9.13.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 9.13.09 AM.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 92
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 9.13.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 9.13.10 AM.png
    4 MB · Views: 88

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 9.13.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 9.13.42 AM.png
    576.3 KB · Views: 83
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 9.13.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 9.13.43 AM.png
    668.9 KB · Views: 83
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 9.13.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 9.13.45 AM.png
    830.4 KB · Views: 89
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 9.13.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 9.13.46 AM.png
    676.8 KB · Views: 87

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warpig602.0

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross