CAMEROON: Cameroon Hunt With Mayo Oldiri 2019

So is it just me or does anyone else find it a little strange that we have allowed a great story about an epic adventure become slightly overshadowed by crocs and cellphone holsters.

@Hank2211
What....no ostriches?? :D

Thanks again for writing up a fantastic report!

Thank you for sharing these outstanding experiences.(y)
The best way for me to learn English and learn vocabulary.
Regards from Munich

I do have a question!

Hank, your trophy room must be amazing.
Did you post any pictures of trophy room on the forum, so I (we) could take a look? I tried searching but couldn't find..

I've never posted pictures of the trophies. I don't really have a room, as such. Things tend to be reasonably spread out . . . although I have a basement room with a bunch, and a mountain place with a bunch more. Then there are skins here and there. And some are at my pheasant Club, and others have been given away. I will say that my wife is fed up, and I've promised not to bring anything back in future without getting clearance first. A small price to pay; she's been very patient.

I'll see if I can get some decent pictures and post them in the taxidermy section, but it may take a while.

Hank, you should see them coming off the planes at the major hubs ....... Shuffling along in their crocs, training pants (surely you don't wear a track suit when you fly internationally as well!) :(, shirt tails out resplendent with food stains, and those strange plastic around the neck ID/ticket holder things. Had a friend who retired down there to one of those "communities" in the Tampa area, and when I saw him two years later he had aged twenty. Frightening. I don't use a phone carrier either unless it is toting a small handgun (great little company makes a concealed carry holster built like a phone carrier - armed nerd concept). Got to love Texas. Otherwise, that I-phone is in the back pocket where it belongs.

Great narrative. Interesting how hard Africa can take a bite out of us in different ways. You have achieved a great accomplishment - not from collecting a specific group of antelope, but for assembling a set of experiences to relive the rest of your days. Thank you for the gift of sharing some of them here. For me it is buffalo - I'm thinking Uganda in '21 for a Nile. For others it is the camaraderie of plains game with friends in the RSA or Namibia, or now, even wing shooting. But grab onto us she does. Thanks again -

Oh yeah, for God's sake buy a pair of R.M. Williams boots or even Redback or Blunstone - made in Australia, no laces so great for air travel to the Third World, and can serve for hunting in a pinch (The Williams boots really are special).

Lots here. First, I don't wear training pants! Or Depends! I like to think I dress reasonably well, so once again, the crocs I was wearing were more like loafers!

I, too, have seen the people you're talking about, and it's part of air travel these days. I wills ay that in Africa, people seem to dress up a bit more for air travel than we do in North America. You don't see women in workout or yoga wear, kids in basketball shorts, old men in velcro sneakers, etc.

Thanks for your comments about the experiences rather than the individual animals. As I said above, I'm not bringing home many of the animals I take anymore - pictures are enough. I'm there for the experience of hunting and spending time with people I enjoy. Writing the stories lets me relive the experiences, and read them in the future. I like that, so the fact that so many of you also seem to like them is a great bonus.

I've been thinking about Uganda. I heard great things about it. Keep us apprised of your plans . . . the more information the better.

And as for Aussie boots, I've been in the market for a while. I should say I've had three pairs of Russels, and I'm pretty much done with those, I've used Courtney's and don't find they work as well for me as some others find, so I've been using a light pair of New Balance hiking boots. They seem to keep my feet happy, when the airline delivers them.

@Hank2211
What....no ostriches?? :D

Thanks again for writing up a fantastic report!
I never saw one in the entire country! Personally I think - and I'm a bit pissed about this - that @Royal27 put the word out that I was coming, and they ran away. Exactly what I'd expect from such a bird.

I won't say too much about the price - if you love something, you will do it if you can. But I will say that goats and sheep have never really done it for me. Since I was a kid, reading King Solomon's Mines, Tarzan, etc., it's always been Africa. And there's more I can do there . . . so no need to run around mountains chasing expensive animals!

I could be convinced to look at bears in Siberia though!

I never saw one in the entire country! Personally I think - and I'm a bit pissed about this - that @Royal27 put the word out that I was coming, and they ran away. Exactly what I'd expect from such a bird.
I can bring up one off my desktop if it will make everyone feel better!

I'm there for the experience of hunting and spending time with people I enjoy. Writing the stories lets me relive the experiences, and read them in the future. I like that, so the fact that so many of you also seem to like them is a great bonus.
Like so much you have written here, this is so perfectly worded.
I'm not the writer you are by a loooong shot, but -like many who go on such trips- I kept a journal on my first safari and wrote it up a few months after getting home. I've only shown it to my wife and a couple of close friends. But writing it was for me and re-reading it helps bring it all back.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 3.17.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 3.17.12 PM.png
    987.3 KB · Views: 186
  • Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 3.17.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 3.17.19 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 173
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Hank, If I could make do with a mid height boot, these Lowa Zephyrs are very supportive and incredibly comfortable.

https://www.911supply.ca/products/lowa-zephyr-gtx-mid-tf-coyote-op?variant=12399845507130

Because of my support issues and Lowa does not seem to make the high Zephyrs anymore, I went with the Z8 which is similar, but slightly more sturdy.

https://www.911supply.ca/products/lowa-z-8s-gtx-coyote-op?variant=17498985398330

Just in case your New Balance wear out or are lost.
Small world. I actually have a pair of these, but I just can get them to fit me well enough to make them the No. 1 boot on a hunt. It's a high quality boot, so the problem is more likely with me . . .

Like so much you have written here, this is so perfectly worded.
I'm not the writer you are by a loooong shot, but -like many who go on such trips- I kept a journal on my first safari and wrote it up a few months after getting home. I've only shown it to my wife and a couple of close friends. But writing it was for me and re-reading it helps bring it all back.
Looking forward to that double report we discussed once you and the wife return in June.

As many have said; amazing story thank you so much for sharing!
Much respect for your stamina and skill in the hunt and your prose.
Regards
Pat

But I will say that goats and sheep have never really done it for me. Since I was a kid, reading King Solomon's Mines, Tarzan, etc., it's always been Africa.

Interestingly I could say almost the same, quoting very same titles!

Whilst you mentioned Siberian bear... there are very few other animals on far away places that I still dream about, but very very few:
Tahr in NZ, moose, and white tail deer. Full stop. Africa on the other hand is endless possibility and timeless desire.

I, too, have seen the people you're talking about, and it's part of air travel these days. I wills ay that in Africa, people seem to dress up a bit more for air travel than we do in North America. You don't see women in workout or yoga wear, kids in basketball shorts, old men in velcro sneakers, etc.

I have often been ashamed how shabby and unkempt (white) tourists get on a plane.

Hank, I throughly enjoyed your story.
Thanks.
Sorry about your luggage, though I've
had friends suffer the same malady.
Congratulations on your SAFARI
a real adventure

Sent from my SM-G965U using AfricaHunting mobile app

Just got around to reading this. Fantastic adventure Hank! Enjoyed your exploits and writing immensely! In truth, we all do what we do for the memories and you definitely got your money's worth on this trip! Most of the time it's the things that don't go quite as planned that, after the fact, gives us the most memorable ones. Lost luggage, poachers, miles traveled in "Crocs", etc. To top it off, you managed to take some fantastic trophies! Well done buddy for maintaining a sense of humor and determination to turn this into a great trip! Would love to hear it in person around a campfire with a good bourbon in hand!

That may be one of the most incredible adventures I have ever read! Congratulations on the spiral slam and the amazing LDE!
All of the animals taken were great! While I am in no way hoping to have a similar experience the poachers and subsequent meeting
of elite military personnel certainly added a flair I doubt you will forget! Thank you for taking the time to share this incredible
adventure! And like many other I would like to be placed on the pre order list for any published works.
:D Barman::D Beers:

All very kind . . . I sometimes wonder (not as often as my wife) if these things happen to me disproportionately . . . but I think anyone who spends enough time in Africa, especially in some of the less developed parts, will end up with some interesting tales to tale. None of it fusses me terribly, other than the potential threat of Boko Haram on this hunt (and Al Shabab in the Danakil in Ethiopia - the lesser kudu hunt). I could - and promised my family I would - do without that particular challenge in the future!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg