CAMEROON: Cameroon Hunt With Mayo Oldiri 2019

Discussion in 'Hunting Reports Africa' started by Hank2211, Feb 4, 2019.

1. buck wild

buck wild SILVER SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI Brush Country Chapter
    Hunted:
    Kalahari; Limpopo; Mexico; Texas

2. GA Hunter

GA Hunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    So is it just me or does anyone else find it a little strange that we have allowed a great story about an epic adventure become slightly overshadowed by crocs and cellphone holsters.

sierraone likes this.

3. cagkt3

cagkt3 AH ENABLER PLATINUM SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, SCI - West Texas Chapter, HSC, NRA Life Member, Ducks Unlimited
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, OK, TX, UT
    @Hank2211
    What....no ostriches?? :D

Thanks again for writing up a fantastic report!

4. Foxi

Foxi AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Canada, USA,Austria,Turkey,Tschech Rep.,Poland,Hungary,Serbia,Denmark,Namibia and England(England is wonderful) Romania,Luangwa-,Gwayi- + Save River.Horseback-tours in South Africa and Botswana.
    Thank you for sharing these outstanding experiences.(y)
    The best way for me to learn English and learn vocabulary.
    Regards from Munich

Hank2211 likes this.

5. Hank2211

Hank2211 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
    Hunted:
    Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina
    I've never posted pictures of the trophies. I don't really have a room, as such. Things tend to be reasonably spread out . . . although I have a basement room with a bunch, and a mountain place with a bunch more. Then there are skins here and there. And some are at my pheasant Club, and others have been given away. I will say that my wife is fed up, and I've promised not to bring anything back in future without getting clearance first. A small price to pay; she's been very patient.

I'll see if I can get some decent pictures and post them in the taxidermy section, but it may take a while.

Lots here. First, I don't wear training pants! Or Depends! I like to think I dress reasonably well, so once again, the crocs I was wearing were more like loafers!

I, too, have seen the people you're talking about, and it's part of air travel these days. I wills ay that in Africa, people seem to dress up a bit more for air travel than we do in North America. You don't see women in workout or yoga wear, kids in basketball shorts, old men in velcro sneakers, etc.

Thanks for your comments about the experiences rather than the individual animals. As I said above, I'm not bringing home many of the animals I take anymore - pictures are enough. I'm there for the experience of hunting and spending time with people I enjoy. Writing the stories lets me relive the experiences, and read them in the future. I like that, so the fact that so many of you also seem to like them is a great bonus.

I've been thinking about Uganda. I heard great things about it. Keep us apprised of your plans . . . the more information the better.

And as for Aussie boots, I've been in the market for a while. I should say I've had three pairs of Russels, and I'm pretty much done with those, I've used Courtney's and don't find they work as well for me as some others find, so I've been using a light pair of New Balance hiking boots. They seem to keep my feet happy, when the airline delivers them.

flat8, DavidC and Red Leg like this.

6. Hank2211

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina
    I never saw one in the entire country! Personally I think - and I'm a bit pissed about this - that @Royal27 put the word out that I was coming, and they ran away. Exactly what I'd expect from such a bird.

MAdcox and Royal27 like this.

7. Hank2211

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    I won't say too much about the price - if you love something, you will do it if you can. But I will say that goats and sheep have never really done it for me. Since I was a kid, reading King Solomon's Mines, Tarzan, etc., it's always been Africa. And there's more I can do there . . . so no need to run around mountains chasing expensive animals!

I could be convinced to look at bears in Siberia though!

Tom Hawk, MAdcox and sierraone like this.

8. sierraone

sierraone AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
    I can bring up one off my desktop if it will make everyone feel better!

9. MAdcox

MAdcox GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC; DSCOK
    Hunted:
    Oklahoma, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, South Africa (Limpopo, Northern Cape)
    Like so much you have written here, this is so perfectly worded.
    I'm not the writer you are by a loooong shot, but -like many who go on such trips- I kept a journal on my first safari and wrote it up a few months after getting home. I've only shown it to my wife and a couple of close friends. But writing it was for me and re-reading it helps bring it all back.

kevin masters, sierraone and Hank2211 like this.

10. AB2506

AB2506 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Alberta, Florida, Eastern Cape of South Africa

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2019
    Hank2211 likes this.

11. Hank2211

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Small world. I actually have a pair of these, but I just can get them to fit me well enough to make them the No. 1 boot on a hunt. It's a high quality boot, so the problem is more likely with me . . .

12. sierraone

sierraone AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
    Looking forward to that double report we discussed once you and the wife return in June.

MAdcox likes this.

13. BC.Pat

BC.Pat AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Botswana , Namibia, Sierra Leone
    As many have said; amazing story thank you so much for sharing!
    Much respect for your stamina and skill in the hunt and your prose.
    Regards
    Pat

Hank2211 likes this.

14. sestoppelman

sestoppelman AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
    I use a phone holster to carry my flip phone around in...o_O:eek::eek::rolleyes::D

Hank2211, Lbarr265 and Red Leg like this.

15. mark-hunter

mark-hunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia - Kalahari, Namibia - Khomas highland
    Interestingly I could say almost the same, quoting very same titles!

Whilst you mentioned Siberian bear... there are very few other animals on far away places that I still dream about, but very very few:
    Tahr in NZ, moose, and white tail deer. Full stop. Africa on the other hand is endless possibility and timeless desire.

Hank2211 likes this.

16. Foxi

Foxi AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Canada, USA,Austria,Turkey,Tschech Rep.,Poland,Hungary,Serbia,Denmark,Namibia and England(England is wonderful) Romania,Luangwa-,Gwayi- + Save River.Horseback-tours in South Africa and Botswana.
    I have often been ashamed how shabby and unkempt (white) tourists get on a plane.

Hank2211 likes this.

17. MartyJ

MartyJ AH Veteran

Member of:
    SCI/NRA/DSC/Texas Trophy Hunters
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe
    Hank, I throughly enjoyed your story.
    Thanks.
    Sorry about your luggage, though I've
    had friends suffer the same malady.
    Congratulations on your SAFARI
    a real adventure

Sent from my SM-G965U using AfricaHunting mobile app

Hank2211 likes this.

18. Buff-Buster

Buff-Buster GOLD SUPPORTER AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Houston Safari Club, Gulf Coast SCI, SCI International. Rowland Ward, NRA, RMEF, North American Hunting Club - Life Member, Texas Trophy Hunters
    Hunted:
    Mozambique, South Africa, (Kwa-Zulu Natal, Free State & East Cape), Zimbabwe (Charisa & West Nicholson), U.S.(Texas, New Mexico, LA, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Wyoming & Montana), Canada (Alberta & Saskatchewan) & Argentina (Cordoba)
    Just got around to reading this. Fantastic adventure Hank! Enjoyed your exploits and writing immensely! In truth, we all do what we do for the memories and you definitely got your money's worth on this trip! Most of the time it's the things that don't go quite as planned that, after the fact, gives us the most memorable ones. Lost luggage, poachers, miles traveled in "Crocs", etc. To top it off, you managed to take some fantastic trophies! Well done buddy for maintaining a sense of humor and determination to turn this into a great trip! Would love to hear it in person around a campfire with a good bourbon in hand!

Hank2211 likes this.

19. kevin masters

kevin masters BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    us mexico alaska south africa
    That may be one of the most incredible adventures I have ever read! Congratulations on the spiral slam and the amazing LDE!
    All of the animals taken were great! While I am in no way hoping to have a similar experience the poachers and subsequent meeting
    of elite military personnel certainly added a flair I doubt you will forget! Thank you for taking the time to share this incredible
    adventure! And like many other I would like to be placed on the pre order list for any published works.
    :D Barman::D Beers:

Hank2211 likes this.

20. Hank2211

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    All very kind . . . I sometimes wonder (not as often as my wife) if these things happen to me disproportionately . . . but I think anyone who spends enough time in Africa, especially in some of the less developed parts, will end up with some interesting tales to tale. None of it fusses me terribly, other than the potential threat of Boko Haram on this hunt (and Al Shabab in the Danakil in Ethiopia - the lesser kudu hunt). I could - and promised my family I would - do without that particular challenge in the future!

Buff-Buster likes this.