Camera choice help

Great question...

I have the 50 and is screen only with no viewfinder. I was concerned as some of the reviews I'd read stated this to be an issue. I tried it it Texas last week in very bright sun, including sun at my back, and didnt find it to be a problem. You can adjust the screen brightness up and down in order to save battery. I wonder if folks who have an issue are on a lower setting an don't realize it? I did need to turn it up from the factory setting in bright sun. Battery hasn't been an issue.
As I recall Sony offers a View Finder,,that fits the Hot shoe,,don,t know the price tho

As I recall Sony offers a View Finder,,that fits the Hot shoe,,don,t know the price tho

they sure do but have you seen the price? more than the camera 400 something, i will get by for that much -- still have the eos also.

they sure do but have you seen the price? more than the camera 400 something, i will get by for that much -- still have the eos also.
A little pricey

I wanted to post back and say i just got my new hx50v lastnight. i took a few shots around the house and then today around my shop and i am impressed i think i made a good choice thanks to Rob44 and Royal27.

the flash works good -- wish it was auto pop up but i can get used to it

it is very compact for its lens power and the picture quality is great compared to what I have been using.

Thanks again for all the help and input guys.

I wanted to post back and say i just got my new hx50v lastnight. i took a few shots around the house and then today around my shop and i am impressed i think i made a good choice thanks to Rob44 and Royal27.

the flash works good -- wish it was auto pop up but i can get used to it

it is very compact for its lens power and the picture quality is great compared to what I have been using.

Thanks again for all the help and input guys.

Gladly!!!

I'm loving mine.

The only weird thing I've had happen, twice, is the viewfinder going dark when I physically turn the camera to "portrait." Tilt it back and the viewfinder comes back on? I'm sure it is some setting that I've changed, but I don't have a clue how I changed it, or how I fixed it? Obvously related to the gyroscope witin the camera, who knows?

If you read someting and figre that out let me know!

here are a couple of pics taken at the same spot the first one is normal and the second one is at full zoom, the sign is 2 blocks away

Attachments

• DSC00025_zpsb069ea3a.jpg
    DSC00025_zpsb069ea3a.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 117
  • DSC00026_zps502563d3.jpg
    DSC00026_zps502563d3.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 102
Mmmm.... Crab legs.....

Looks good,,,glad you like it

Looks good,,,glad you like it
jesus , rob
you should be on a commission ,mate
you've got me interested in this as a pack camera ,now ...

love the foot paths up your way bigdawg , that would pull the skate or die dudes up .

does anyone know of a good point and shoot camera that's water proof ???

jesus , rob
you should be on a commission ,mate
you've got me interested in this as a pack camera ,now ...

love the foot paths up your way bigdawg , that would pull the skate or die dudes up .

does anyone know of a good point and shoot camera that's water proof ???
just glad to pass on what worked for me,,Bluey I saw something at the Camera shop when i was shopping for the Sony ,,let me do a little scrounging

just glad to pass on what worked for me,,Bluey I saw something at the Camera shop when i was shopping for the Sony ,,let me do a little scrounging
Bluey it was a Panasonic Lumix,,very slick and sturdy little Bugger

I have a Panasonic Lumix pocket camera. It is very easy to use and, I thought, took great pictures on our safari. Hell, it even took some great short movies! I took my big camera, too, but found I used the pocket camera more. Don't remember which model it is for sure. Bought it on Amazon based on internet reviews.

talked me into it robb
picked up the sony in the city the other Thursday .
looks good and seems idiot proof .
will bring to sea next trip and see what l can do with it .
definitely taking it up to queensland at the end of this month , on the chital , then we are doing a hunt for rusa on the 2nd of june .so unless I loose this one in the river ,like l did my fz 150 , last year .
I should be able to post some live and dead deer pix when l get back .
should be able to learn to use it on my warm up hunt before Africa .

Where can a guy find a target like that nyala? I'm heading to RSA in Sept, and that would be really nice for practice in the meantime.

draw a good outline of one on some stiff caedboard , cut an area out where the vitals are and clip some brighter coloured cardboard on it , so it can be replaced as you blow it away .
set it up in some places,angles and distances ,to test you out and keep you amused .
and blaze away ,bro ......

Hey guys, I need a little more input.

after taking some pictures with the sony hx50 i am wondering if i even need to bring my canon eos rebel.

What say you guys? does a person need 2 cameras? just trying to possible cut back on some luggage thinking why do i need or want to take 2 camera's? btw 7 days to go :)

BD,

I went through that deision myself and in my opinion it is completely a personal decision. I decided to only take the Sony. i know myself and I would never even take the bigger camera out of camp, or at least not out of the truck.

Brickburn on the other hand would use ten cameras if you let him. :)

Yes I was thinking the same thing, the canon is big and bulky -- takes great pictures -- but so does the sony and half the size.

i just want some good pictures of me and my trophies and the scenery to document the trip, not a professional photographer.

thanks for the input I am leaning more and more to just taking the sony. -- i am taking enuff gear as it is :D

here are a couple from this weekend at the private range i have been practicing on the farthest target in the second pic is 712 yards away. you can actually see all the targets 100,200,300,400,500 and 712 in the second picture.

10382108_721822074527167_786739427700158383_o.jpg
100 to 700 yd targets.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I was thinking the same thing, the canon is big and bulky -- takes great pictures -- but so does the sony and half the size.

i just want some good pictures of me and my trophies and the scenery to document the trip, not a professional photographer.

thanks for the input I am leaning more and more to just taking the sony. -- i am taking enuff gear as it is :D

You're welcome!

One more thought. Sounds like you already own the Canon, so if you have room it might be worth throwing in as a back up in case the Sony fails for any reason. I pnly have the Sony and the camera on my phone, so after that I'd be reliant on the PH.

Yes, I'm basically contradicting my own opinion and not following my own advice. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg