Came across this gem in trade (Anschluss Steyr)...

TheSayHeyKid

AH senior member
Reaction score
I'm attaching photos of a rifle I acquired in partial trade for a classic car I was selling. It seems to have come from Steyr in Austria during the Anschluss as it is marked 'MADE IN GERMANY'. It's chambered in 6.5x57 and looks to be in good condition for it's age (assuming that it was made in that 1938, 39, 40 time frame). It looks to be quite original right down to the butt plate and cleaning rods. It was obviously cared for as it has been 'carried' but the bore is magnificent and everything functions as it should. While being equipped with open sights, it also seems to have claw type scope mounts (however it did not come with a scope). We agreed on a trade value of $750 for the rifle towards the car. I had a hard time assigning a value to the rifle as 'overseas firearms' are not this yankees forte. Hope I did alright on it. All serial numbers exposed serial numbers do match. I'll let you guys weigh in since there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum. I plan to pull it off the stock and catalog the hallmarks this weekend (where did I put that gunsmith screwdriver set again)...

Any input is welcome. Thank you in advance yous guys! ♫♪♫

20210511_053741.jpg
20210511_053753.jpg
20210511_053831.jpg
20210511_053842.jpg
20210511_053912.jpg
20210511_053954.jpg
20210511_054044.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice! I will offer to give you back your money. :giggle: I believe that is the 1925 model descended from the 1924 Sequoia model.

Congratulations - that looks awesome - I think you did really, really well. Any number of us here would love to get that rifle for $750.

TheSayHayKid first off welcome to AH. By now it should be apparent to you that you "stole" that rifle. But in fairness we have all come across good deals from time to time. Hopefully someone here will be able to tell you where to get a proper scope mount.

You have a truly wonderful Steyr Mannlicher Schoenauer "High Velocity" rifle that would indeed have been built in the late thirties for the German/European market. The rifle was exported in limited quantities to the US, but the 6.5x57 is not included in those calogues. It should hasten to add, you would be hard pressed to find a better deer caliber for North America.

You are very lucky that the rifle has a set of claw bases already installed - also attesting to its Euro market intent. JJ Perodeau https://jjperodeau.com/ can build you a set of rings to fit those bases (I beg you not to try and do anything else).

If any of that seems too much trouble, please PM me, and I'll offer you an immediate profit on your investment.

Red Leg, I was hoping you would chime in on this. At least now The SayHayKid knows where to go to get scope mounts. I would have hated to see somebody "bugger up" that rifle trying to mount a scope to it.

By all means best to stay away from Bubba's Plumbing and Gunsmithing shop!

You have a truly wonderful Steyr Mannlicher Schoenauer "High Velocity" rifle that would indeed have been built in the late thirties for the German/European market. The rifle was exported in limited quantities to the US, but the 6.5x57 is not included in those calogues. It should hasten to add, you would be hard pressed to find a better deer caliber for North America.

You are very lucky that the rifle has a set of claw bases already installed - also attesting to its Euro market intent. JJ Perodeau https://jjperodeau.com/ can build you a set of rings to fit those bases (I beg you not to try and do anything else).

If any of that seems too much trouble, please PM me, and I'll offer you an immediate profit on your investment.

Thanks for the reply and additional information Red Leg! And so as to set your mind at ease, it is my full intention to have rings built for this rifle for it's proper return to action. I would NEVER entertain fitting anything else up except the correct hardware (I may even have an older, refurbed Weaver K4 (El Paso) post reticle sitting somewhere back in the safe that would look 'moderately' period). Thanks for identifying it as a 'High Velocity' as it wasn't readily marked as to what model it would be. I also think you are correct that it wasn't originally intended for export because the father of a friend of mine brought it back from the 'Mother Land' back in the 70's I believe. I'll post additional photos of the hallmarks when I get around to that and we can delve into it a bit deeper.

Now the real question...I find out if the girlfriend and I draw antelope tags for Montana in early June. If we do draw, do I then give the her my .257 Roberts and try and put a speed goat underneath the 6.5's belt? I think I already know the answer to that. HAHA! It does shoot quite well with the iron sites. Since giving her the full inspection, I've only put six down the pipe, but the old girl put those six in about a 3" group. It seems to feed and shoot the most basic Prvi Parizan (139 gr) rounds just fine.

Thanks again!

TheSayHayKid, I am a big proponent of the 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser. I too think that "old" Weaver K 4(s) just look right and have several Swedes so equipped. There is an outfit called Iron Sight that can refurbish your old Weaver if necessary.

Thanks for the reply and additional information Red Leg! And so as to set your mind at ease, it is my full intention to have rings built for this rifle for it's proper return to action. I would NEVER entertain fitting anything else up except the correct hardware (I may even have an older, refurbed Weaver K4 (El Paso) post reticle sitting somewhere back in the safe that would look 'moderately' period). Thanks for identifying it as a 'High Velocity' as it wasn't readily marked as to what model it would be. I also think you are correct that it wasn't originally intended for export because the father of a friend of mine brought it back from the 'Mother Land' back in the 70's I believe. I'll post additional photos of the hallmarks when I get around to that and we can delve into it a bit deeper.

Now the real question...I find out if the girlfriend and I draw antelope tags for Montana in early June. If we do draw, do I then give the her my .257 Roberts and try and put a speed goat underneath the 6.5's belt? I think I already know the answer to that. HAHA! It does shoot quite well with the iron sites. Since giving her the full inspection, I've only put six down the pipe, but the old girl put those six in about a 3" group. It seems to feed and shoot the most basic Prvi Parizan (139 gr) rounds just fine.

Thanks again!
You will want to put a straight tube scope on it. Taking it on and off requires tilting the scope forward at a fairly steep angle. With a 40mm objective, normal rings are too short and super tall ones are unusable. Therefore, the front ring has to be fitted around the objective of the scope (think very expensive). Depending upon spacing, a rail mount scope may also work. But a straight tube is simplest and there are some great vintage and modern options out there in 1" and 30mm form. The Leupold VX 6 1x6 is hard to beat in that role.

Red Leg, after reading your last post and thinking about it, your observation about using a straight scope in this instance is absolutely right. I learned something new, thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Any input is welcome. Thank you in advance yous guys! ♫♪♫

Red Leg and 7X57 have given you accurate information.

Here are pages 50, 51, 52 of the 1939 Stoeger Catalog:
MS ST39 50 Mannlicher Schoenauer.jpg

MS ST39 51 Mannlicher Schoenauer details.jpg

MS ST39 52.jpg

What Stoeger referred to as the 'High Velocity' were MS rifles and stutzen (full stocked carbine) that were built on the longer (M1924) receiver in a variety of chamberings (M1900, 1903, 1905, 1908, 1910 had been on the original length and were cartridge specific). As Red Leg pointed out, and Stoeger supports, 6.5X57 was not one of them. Modern collectors tend to refer to the 'High Velocity' as 'M1925' though they were never stamped as such.

Steyr was known to be rather accommodating of 'special orders', however. Your receiver appears to be restamped with the 'Kaliber', which may have been done at Steyr, as they commonly did with 'reworked' M1924 models (built for Sequoia Importing of the U.S. and unsold), or it could have been rechambered after manufacture.

ZZZ Anschluss 02.jpg

5.5X57?

The 'Made in Germany' stamping confirms the 'Anschluss' time of assembly (1938 - 45), and it should be stamped thus on the side rail if the receiver itself was manufactured then, rather than being one 'from the bin'.

MS Anschluss left rail.JPG

Before Anschluss, they were marked Oesterr Waffenfabr. Ges - Steyr (1900 - 1926) or Steyr - Werke AG (1926 - 1938 and postwar). Only during the Anschluss, the MS were marked 'Made in Germany' on the front ring. All others from mid 1924 onward were marked 'Made in Austria'.

Here's how your front bridge would have looked before it was cut for scope mounts:

MS Receiver kal 6.5 Made in Germany 02.jpg

More information can be found here:

I believe member HWL has recently had a scope and rings mounted to existing claw mount receptacles on an MS.

Congratulations and welcome to the fraternity of those who own and appreciate the MS.

--- Standard Warning! ---
They are highly addictive, and most other firearms will likely resemble clubs or rude 'bang sticks' to you after you become accustomed to handling / shooting a 'prewar' Mannlicher Schoenauer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen authentic scopes on ebay for that rifle. Not too much either ! Might get lucky and get one with the rings !!!

Here is HWL's recent post of a 'new' scope mounted to existing claw mount bases:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glorianab

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg