Call To Legalise International Rhino Horn Trade

Hoas

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
“NOW IS THE TIME TO LEGALISE INTERNATIONAL RHINO HORN TRADE”
SAYS PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS SA

SOUTH AFRICA - There is no better time than the present to reconsider putting effective measures into place to legalise, better regulate and permit the international trade in rhino horn, says the Professional Hunters’ Association of South Africa (PHASA). Currently, only domestic trade in rhino horn is legal in the country.

“After careful consideration and debate, we believe legalising the international trade in rhino horn to be one of the most effective, sustainable and ethical long-term solutions to safeguard the future of rhino populations,” says Tharia Unwin, chief executive officer of PHASA.

Recent statistics referred to during SA’s National Assembly show 483 rhinos poached in the country during the first five and a half months of 2017. Various authorities believe that rhino’s will be extinct by 2025, should poaching continue at the current (slightly decreased compared to this time of the year during 2016) rate.

“Now is the time to put our emotions aside. More than ever before do we need to be objective. Are we truly acting in the best interest of the rhinos?” says Unwin.
Since banning all international trade in rhino horn in 1977, the challenges we face and the circumstances we live in have changed. “We urge our government and all relevant stakeholders to revise the policies that need to change. It’s time to adapt,” notes Unwin.

She adds: “How much more research from credible sources do we need to see that the international trade in rhino horn, when well-regulated and implemented, will not be detrimental to the wellbeing of rhino populations?”

PHASA believes that the solution to the challenges above lies not just in implementing one, but a combination of strategies and approaches.

“One approach being that the money generated from the legalised international trade in rhino horn can be ploughed back into the conservation of these animals, e.g. deploying more anti-poaching units, the dehorning of rhinos in a controlled, safe and humane manner,” she concludes.

ISSUED BY THE PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS’ ASSOCIATION OF SOUTH AFRICA (PHASA)

Source: http://www.phasa.co.za/what-is-in-t...-legalise-international-rhino-horn-trade.html

Hope they are not "tilting at windmills"

I believe that Namibia opposed this initiative at the last CITES conference. I recall this because it surprised me. As the horn can be removed safely, it seems like a no brainer.

I wish them best luck. Just as there is no shortage of chickens, pigs, or cows, there will be no shortage of rhino if they are profitable to keep around. Unfortunately, the endangered species/animal welfare lobby depends strongly on the perception that particular species are threatened and that the only solution is donations and unsustainable welfare support of their habitat. They have emotion and a well-oiled propaganda machine on their side. Science and economic reality will always win in the end, the only question is will it happen before or after the extinction of the rhino.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SungHiggin

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg