AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
I'm sure this will bring memories back to many... part of the symphony of Africa! Any good Lion stories?

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose one never really forgets the first time they heard that sound while in the bush. There really is nothing else quite like it.

To hear a wild lion roar is one of the things that was missing from my first trip to africa. I plan to remedy that in 2-3 years.

Thanks for the post. That lion seemed quite satisfied with himself after completing his little "song".:)

Another cat sound that I will never forget or mistake for something else is the scream of a hunting cougar. Watching a big tom hunt deer nearby is enough to make me leave the deer stand while there is still shooting light.

That reminds me of the nights we enjoyed hunting with Spear Safaris in June. We had lions around our camp every night, and they did quite a lot of roaring. For me, that was a lighlight of our trip.

The first time I ever heard lions roaring at night, we were hunting in the Chararra concession in Zimbabwe, just east of Kariba. One night, we could hear lions roaring from very far away, up the Chararra River. They kept getting closer and closer, until we heard pots and pans go crashing down in the camp's kitchen! Everyone in camp was awake (obviously) but nobody was going outside their tents at 2:00 AM. MY wife and I were in our tent, and suddenly, I could hear a lion walking just a few feet away, on the other side of the canvas. They were heading up the hill to our buthery, where a cape buffalo carcass was hanging. The lions couldn't get to it, as we had a chain link fence erected around the butchery, but the skinners tent was just outside the fence. One of the lions flopped down next to their tent, landing on one of the guy ropes, and collapsing the tent down on the three poor fellows inside. They sure had a wide awake night!

It did make the next morning's hunt awful easy, all we had to do was walk right from camp on their tracks.

this is sound in the south of Angola!

when it gets dark the opera begins, and follows the night!

Its a sound few lucky ones can or have experienced , Tanzania was the first time I ever did hear a lion roar and its music with high bass to a hunters ears , and very nostalgic.

In India one should experience a Tiger call in the night and its so resonting that even the cicadas and the crickets stop their grating.

Monish

The sound of a lion male roaring is the most amazing sound you can hear in Africa.
First time you hear that... you remember it for the rest of your life
I will never forget the my "first time"... unforgetable.

Jose

Here are a couple more videos of Lions roaring...

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EllieBoatm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross