Calibre for West African Bushpig

philip in china

AH senior member
Reaction score
Does anybody have any thoughts on a calibre for Bushpig?

My heaviest mid range rifle is a .300 Winchester Magnum by Parker Hale. It certainly does any job I have ever asked of it but I was wondering if my .270 Sako would be equally useful. I think it handles a fraction of a second faster than the heavier calibre.

Any thoughts on which would be better would be appreciated.

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
I wouldn't see why your Sako wouldn't be a excellent bushpig gun....especially with premium bullets.

Oldsarge

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
NRA, SCI
Hunted
Mozambique, RSA, Zimbabwe
Shoot, a 30-30 would do for bushpig. They aren't all that big or all that tough. Anything you'd shoot a feral hog or a European boar with is plenty for bushpig.

B9.3

AH veteran
Reaction score
The 270 is a magnificent cartridge for medium game. It is more than adequate for any pig. I prefer the 130gr for pig. The 130gr TSX is very good on mud
encrusted shoulder pads. Sako is good stuff.

johana

Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa
Hi Guys, will agree with the .270, will do the job. I have a .270 Win, with good bullets, no problem. My uncle has a 30-06 Sako, what a nice rifle, have shot acouple of buck with it aswell, therefore a .270 in Sako has to be a good rifle, use it and enjoy your hunt!

Nyati

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
RFEC, RFETO
Hunted
Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State, Mpumalanga)
I have shot a few european boars with a .270 Sako, should do well for a bushpig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aleea

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Nevada Mike wrote on qmrp2567's profile.
375 H&H brass...

I'd like to have them. $125 for the 100 cases, don't want the smashed ones.

I am in Sonoita, AZ

Mike
We cannot wait to share in some amazing adventures with everyone in 2023 again! Please don't hesitate to message us for a quote, customized safari or even just a chat! #HuntBaylySippel
BLJC30 wrote on Tgood1's profile.
I seen a post saying that you do taxidermy in WV. Where are you located in WV and do you have a price list?
I'm going on my first safari in June.
SteveSac wrote on mdwest's profile.
Hey There,

Im looking to book my first African Safari for 2024 for my 40th birthday. I've never hunted Africa before, but was going to head to SA with my wife for a week then see her off and then stay and hunt.

Saw your safari come up as a recommendation and wondering if you had any time to chat.
Thanks!
Steve