Caliber Suggestion For My Wife

Why dont you like the RUM? I have no experience with it, I'm relying on load data and you folks with personal experience to guide me

The RUM ammo is harder to find and the recoil too stout for most. All the RUM line is stout, essentially out doing the Weatherby line. Super high velocity is not popular in Africa.

Two years ago, I bought a Win M70 Super Grade in 300 RUM and promptly shipped it to Dennis Olsen to be converted into a 404 Jeffery.

The RUM ammo is harder to find and the recoil too stout for most. All the RUM line is stout, essentially out doing the Weatherby line. Super high velocity is not popular in Africa.

Two years ago, I bought a Win M70 Super Grade in 300 RUM and promptly shipped it to Dennis Olsen to be converted into a 404 Jeffery.
I know more people with a 300RUM converted to a 404J than people who own a 300RUM.
I've asked a few of them why, and mostly it's due to recoil and noise.
Kinda funny going up in caliber to get away from recoil.

I know more people with a 300RUM converted to a 404J than people who own a 300RUM.
I've asked a few of them why, and mostly it's due to recoil and noise.
Kinda funny going up in caliber to get away from recoil.

I think recoil and noise has very little to do with people converting 300 RUMs to 404J. They simply want a 404J. The real reason people get a 300 RUM to convert to 404J is the RUM cartridge line is based off of the 404J. So a conversion entails rebarreling and a few other minor tweakings. Since there aren't a lot 404J rifles being made, conversion is a good option to get a 404J.

upload_2020-1-19_5-56-24.png

I think recoil and noise has very little to do with people converting 300 RUMs to 404J. They simply want a 404J. The real reason people get a 300 RUM to convert to 404J is the RUM cartridge line is based off of the 404J. So a conversion entails rebarreling and a few other minor tweakings. Since there aren't a lot 404J rifles being made, conversion is a good option to get a 404J.

View attachment 325356
The first time I saw my friends 300RUM, I looked it up and saw the parent case.
His is a Rem 700 stainless/synthetic but I don't know exactly what model.
It's his "out West Elk" and other stuff that's far away that needs killin' gun.

When I found out I could convert it to 404J, I asked him about it.
He loves it too much, won't give it up...yet.

I'm kinda glad he didn't sell it to me since I've since gotten on the R8 bandwagon.
Have a 416RM inbound, so it kinda covers the need for a 404J.

I give it a few years and he'll be ready to sell.
I'll be sure to let him know that AH will be waiting...

300 or the 300 wsm both with breaks if you feel it would be needed. Can’t go wrong on that for anything in North America and up to DG in Africa. Barnes Tssx or Swift AFrames are lethal..

If she can shoot the .375 then that is the gun for Africa. The other obvious choice is .300 Win. Which will work for most everything she wants to hunt. The R8 is a great choice and is so versatile and has so many configurations.

9.3x62, Load the 250gr for plains game, it will shoot flat enough to 250 yards that it won't be a problem. Use 286 or 300gr bullets for the Giraffe and DG (where legal).

Another vote for a .300 WM. Ammo widely available.

After research, asking lots of folks and talking to sales people, I’m ordering an R8 with .375 H&H and .300 WM barrels. That will work for just about everything. Also the .22 kit for practice and squirrel hunting.

Thanks everyone for the help once again. Probably leaning towards 300WM

She can shoot very well and has no problems with recoil but I failed to think of the difference between her and I with new weapons. I have like 10 different guns with different controls and feel just for my competition rigs. If my ammo gets lost, I can use the rental gun and be comfortable enough to hunt with it in like 5 shots off the bench and sticks. Takes her a bit more time to get familiar just because our experience levels differ with multiple platforms... so being able to use the same gun and just buy ammo if it gets lost/delayed and check zero with the new ammo is much more critical for her I think.

I have a new Ruger Alaskan Hawkeye in 300 Win Mag I will sell you. I am going to post it on here tonight I think. It has 3 shots through it. Two to site it in and one kill shot on a Whitetail. I don’t need two 300 Win Mags and this was one that I won.

My proposition 9,3x62 Mauser, munnition from Norma with bullet ORYX 285 gr or from RWS with bullet softpoint 285 gr.

Considering surprising my wife with a rifle for her when we go on our first safari. I havent made up my mind on model, the straight pull and versatility of the R8 (in addition to the scope mounts being the same as my S2) are appealing. Could also just get a .416 barrel if she ever wants to chase DG and doesnt want to use my heavy double.

Cant be .375HH because I have my set of .375 barrels for my S2 and RSA doesnt allow 2 of the same caliber (they will be in the same gun case and from my understanding that means the same SAPS form. We also archery hunt, so it's likely to be cost prohibitive to have to take 2 gun cases just because of caliber).

Plains game, but she is interested in some larger stuff like giraffe, kudu, etc. So something capable of that would be best. She has shot my 470 without complaint so a little recoil isnt an issue. Most likely going to shoot swift factory ammo loaded with a Frames, I will reload if I have to though. 300RUM or 338WM appealed to me, but looking for some advice from those of you that have been there and shot these animals. I've heard the 338 family of calibers makes better bloodtrails than many .300s on these tough critters.

Would also be handy to be a flat shooting cartridge, should we ever need to take shots near 400yds+, could be wrong but I think a .300 or .338 type round is more suitable to that distance than my .375HH?

See screenshot for available calibers, even if I go with another platform, this list will do fine.

View attachment 325305
Mikecatt13
I noticed your list is missing one very important caliber. No one else has mentioned it either. It is the mighty 35 Whelan. I used mine in Namibia recently loaded with 225 gn accubonds. These can easily be loaded to 2,850 fps about will handle anything she wishes to shoot. You could use 225gn Barnes or 250grain North fork. Federal do a 225 gn trophy bonded as well.
The good ol Whelan hits hard and even tho your wife can handle recoil this caliber won't rattle her teeth or knock her from under he hat. It just does the job without fuss.
IMG_20190908_171338_1.jpg

My black wildebeest shot at around 170 yards with a 225gn accubond

Mikecatt13
I noticed your list is missing one very important caliber. No one else has mentioned it either. It is the mighty 35 Whelan. I used mine in Namibia recently loaded with 225 gn accubonds. These can easily be loaded to 2,850 fps about will handle anything she wishes to shoot. You could use 225gn Barnes or 250grain North fork. Federal do a 225 gn trophy bonded as well.
The good ol Whelan hits hard and even tho your wife can handle recoil this caliber won't rattle her teeth or knock her from under he hat. It just does the job without fuss.View attachment 326307
My black wildebeest shot at around 170 yards with a 225gn accubond
Bob will make in all Covert’s if he can. He even adopted It as a name. Lol
I’m still angling at gettin a .300wm, gotta use that ammo that was left over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg