Caliber 30-30 use in Africa???

Has anyone considered a .375 win for leopard? Still a fast handling model 94, ae allows for top mounted optics and would be .375 cal so possibly meets legal requirements.

Has anyone considered a .375 win for leopard? Still a fast handling model 94, ae allows for top mounted optics and would be .375 cal so possibly meets legal requirements.

Was a cool rifle and caliber, but commercially died pretty quickly....I wouldn’t take one to Africa simply because ammo is hard to find in the States so one could pretty much guarantee you won’t find it in Africa.

Aside from that, it should do very well against a Leopard, probably do well on any of the big cats. Believe the 375 win is roughly a 2200 fps round, but not sure about its energy level so don’t know if the caliber alone would suffice for some of the Africa DG minimums or not.

Might as well make this the “Lazarus” thread. I was curious about using a 30-30 for plains game, googled it and this thread popped up.
Using a lever action with iron sights is great, until you can’t see well enough to do it anymore. My Waterloo with iron sights occurred circa 20 years ago. So it may be blasphemous but once you reach that stage then you need a scope or red dot to shoot a lever gun well.

Judging strictly from videos it sure does seem as if a wounded leopard is much more ferocious than a wounded mountain lion.

I can see taking a 30-30 to Africa for leopard, if leopard is the only animal you’ll hunt. If antelope are in the mix I’d take something else if taking only one rifle.

Having a very accurate rifle has been mentioned in this thread. In that case I’d probably leave my 30-30 at home. My 30-30 is VERY accurate-for a 30-30, but the best it can do when I’m having a good day is around 1.25 MOA at 100 yards. I own rifles that are much more accurate that I’d be more inclined to use on leopard. And I know leopards as a rule are shot at fairly close distances.

I’ve taken Zebra, Kydu, impala, warthog, gemsbok, Nyala, etc with a bow at <30 yards. A 30-30 would have taken all of them. Inside 100 yds why not .

I would suggest that a scoped and accurate 30/30 for smallish plains game at very short distances would be just adequate.
But; why take a risk of losing the target when it would be far better to use a more suitable caliber. Yes I know millions of deer have been harvested using a 30/30.

I can't speak to leopard hunting, so I won't pretend to. I can speak to the 30-30. Mine is an early '50s Model 94 with a Williams peep sight. My youngest son has an identical one a couple years newer than mine. It is, of course, an excellent deer rifle. I bought mine specifically to use on New York whitetails when I was in the army.

The 30-30 is also surprisingly popular in Alaska...especially the farther you get from the road system. I've killed more black bears with mine than with any other gun I own. Most, but not all, have been over bait. I think it is nearly perfect for that, although I know plenty of experienced bear baiters (one might say that when it comes to baiting they're masters) who prefer the 45-70 or something else. My son also killed a caribou with his a few years ago. When I was a kid I hunted with an old guy who killed moose for 40ish years in British Columbia with a 30-30. I've never done that, but I do occasionally take the 30-30 moose hunting. The 30-30 is fine for all of those.

As for bigger or more dangerous game....the first grizzly I ever killed was with a 30-30 at much too close range. Given the choice, I would not have shot it, and definitely would not have gone looking for it with a 30-30, but these things happen. I use 170 gr. bullets in mine, and the grizzly apparently found them disagreeable as he promptly died, after which I sat down for awhile to contemplate my life. In short, I don't recommend hunting grizzlies with a 30-30, but it will do the job in a pinch if you can do your part. I certainly wouldn't recommend it, and from the sounds of those who know more about leopards than I do, it probably isn't a good choice for them, either.

Those of you that shoot Marlin 30-30s with the micro groove barrels that are able shoot tight groupings please share what bullets / loads you are using , would be greatly appreciated .
I have a Marlin 336 but have not yet done any real load development yet , and what I have used thus far has not been that accurate .

Factory Remington CoreLokt 150 grain. It didn’t like 170 grain Corelokts.

Those of you that shoot Marlin 30-30s with the micro groove barrels that are able shoot tight groupings please share what bullets / loads you are using , would be greatly appreciated .
I have a Marlin 336 but have not yet done any real load development yet , and what I have used thus far has not been that accurate .
I've been pleased with Remington factory 170 grain Core-lokt. I tried Winchester both in 150 and 170 grain loads, Remington 150 grain, none were as accurate. I know this isn't helpful for your handload development, sorry.

Thank you for the replies thus re the ammo your Marlins prefer for getting tight groupings . I have been shooting 170 gr bullets until now so I will now experiment a bit with 150 grs .

Thank you for the replies thus re the ammo your Marlins prefer for getting tight groupings . I have been shooting 170 gr bullets until now so I will now experiment a bit with 150 grs .
@Paul Raley
You could also try t h e 160 gn FTX or the 140 GMX projectiles from Hornaday.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross