Calgary to Windhoek flights?

Albertaguy

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
My friend and I are booked to hunt in Namibia in May 2017. The flights we were thinking about are , Lufthansa/Air Canada to Frankfurt then Air Namibia direct o Windhoek. Has anyone here done this trip ? What do you do for the 10 hour layover in Frankfurt? How far ahead do you book your flights? If not this route, what do you do? Any trouble transferring firearms from on airline to another? Thanks in advance to all you experienced guys here.

I took the route.
I slept in the hotel. Sadly I did not sleep on the first leg. I was exhausted.
I had plans to at least head in to town and have some fresh air and lunch. It's relatively easy.
There are examples and other issues in the hunt reports.
http://www.africahunting.com/threads/frankfurt-layover-must-do.7994/
http://www.africahunting.com/threads/the-return-to.9899/
http://www.africahunting.com/threads/namibia-the-return-to-ozondjahe-hunting-safaris-namibia.11161/
http://www.africahunting.com/threads/traveling-thru-frankfurt-to-windhoek-namibia.5177/

Air Namibia has joined in the make hunters pay to carry guns. Additional fee when you go to check. At least it started just after I flew.

The frankfurt permits are no longer required.
But read the report and you'll get plenty of info on the process.

Have fun. I'd go back exactly the same way.

Last edited:
When I went to SA I went Calgary - Frankfurt - Johannesburg, with about a 8hr layover in Frankfurt. We ended up napping a little at the airport, the arrival times didn't work for a day room.

As for the guns, they were checked through from Edmonton (where I left from) to Jo-Burg, and never had any problems.

I found for me, with the little sleep I had helped me with the jet lag. I think I had about 3 hours sleep in 36hrs, hit the sack around 9pm Africa time on the arrival day & slept solid till 6am, and it felt perfect for me.. even coming back I didn't sleep & I was back to normal with 24hrs of arrival.

I usually fly Calgary, Frankfurt, Joburg then Windhoek, I drop my rifles of in Grande Prairie and pick them up in Windheok. I go to the Lounge at the Frankfurt airport if I'm on my own.

Get a hold of Lori Spears on here at Travel Express (www.travelexpressagency.com).
He's from Canada and an USA agent has difficulty accessing Canadian seat sales etc. . That is what Lori told me anyways, but that was 2 years ago.

I used Irina Davidovitch and Sue Behrman from Victor Travel Carson Wagonlit in Toronto. They are used to sending Canadians to Africa, even with firearms. I had no issues, used KLM. I would fly KLM to Johannesburg again in a heartbeat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Four trips from Calgary to Saltlake or Minneapolis then Atlanta to Johannesburg all went fine going luggage ( rifle ) late by one day on two trips thanks to homeland security overwhelmed in Atlanta but received the OK for both trips at home airport not Calgary ( they forwarded them no cost ) Flight change times really buggered up on return on second trip new check in counter person but airline found a way to get us home first class twelve hrs late with appoligies.

The less I have to change planes the better now. Lesson learned.

Four trips from Calgary to Saltlake or Minneapolis then Atlanta to Johannesburg all went fine going luggage ( rifle ) late by one day on two trips thanks to homeland security overwhelmed in Atlanta but received the OK for both trips at home airport not Calgary ( they forwarded them no cost ) Flight change times really buggered up on return on second trip new check in counter person but airline found a way to get us home first class twelve hrs late with appoligies.
With our service to Europe, I think it is best to avoid going through the USA. Even the Yanks travelling with firearms have issues with the TSA, why would we Canucks want to risk it? Who needs the hassle?

From Calgary: AC/BA to London and then choices to RSA. AC/Luth to Frankfurt and then Luth to RSA or Luth/AN to Windhoek. KLM to Amsterdam, 2hr layover and then on to RSA, only 22 hrs total travel time. That is why I would fly KLM again.

I agree with Brickburn, the less transfers, the better. Worth a little more money even, if necessary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg