Calculating the cost

Discussion in 'Before & After the Hunt' started by IAhawks84, Jul 12, 2018.

1. IAhawks84

IAhawks84 AH Member

hey everyone,
    Well we have our dates locked in for our first African safari with Wild Wildebeest Safaris. We have been watching plane tickets, and trying to figure out our budget. We purchased a donation package for our first time. Some of the things I have included to get an estimate on total final cost are,
    -Flights
    -transportation to and from outfitter
    -non hunter fee (for wife)
    -tips
    -dip and pack
    -possible gun rental and ammo
    -crating and shipping (still working on a good way to get an approximate price on this)

If there is anything that anyone could think of that I am missing, please feel free to chime in. I have a list of animals that I’d be interested in, and need to figure out total cost before we go too crazy for our first time. I’m looking at taking 3-4 animals. One will be the Impala that is included. The other animals i am looking at as possibilities are the Gemsbok, Common Blesbok, White Blesbok, Warthog, Red hartebeest, and the Blue Wildebeest.
    Again, if anyone has any tips, or feel that I have left anything out, please feel free to educate me. Thanks!

2. AfricaHunting.com

AfricaHunting.com AH ENABLER FOUNDER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    IAhawks84 likes this.

3. IAhawks84

IAhawks84 AH Member

Awesome thank you

4. Bullthrower338

Bullthrower338 AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
    Hunted:
    USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA
    I’ve hunted with Kannas of WWS, great guy! I had a nice trip and shot some very nice animals while there. They use Swift Dip for Dip and Pack, it cost 100 usd per critter. My shipping from RSA to Houston including clearing customs was around 700 bucks. They did a very nice job on packing my shipment. They have some great mountain reedbuck and bushbuck that should not be overlooked. They charge a 50 usd mandatory PHASA donation to the conservation fund which I was not aware of but it’s 50 bucks at the end of a 12k bill so not really a big deal, just be aware of it.
    You will have a good trip with them and you will see some beautiful country. Feel free to PM me if you want to know anything further
    Cheers,
    Cody

375 Ruger Fan and IAhawks84 like this.

5. IAhawks84

IAhawks84 AH Member

Thanks Cody! I will do that!

Bullthrower338 likes this.

6. Jeffrey Masters

Jeffrey Masters AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    SA, Mexico, Lower 48, Alaska
    My only advise would be to make a list, then don't really follow it that strictly. A list is good for a baseline, but don't follow it so strictly that it makes your safari more like a job. Let the hunt unfold before you, and be willing to change your list to fit what happens on each trip out into the bush. My fondest, and best memories of my first safari are those hunts that just happened. Those animals will be forever in my memory. Wow, I am envious!! Good luck on your first safari!

IAhawks84 and Bullthrower338 like this.

7. IAhawks84

IAhawks84 AH Member

Thanks Jeffrey! We are keep getting more and more excited as we keep planning!

8. CAustin

CAustin AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    Best wishes for a great hunt sir!

IAhawks84 likes this.

9. Philip Glass

Philip Glass LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, Zimbabwe, Texas
    You have a good handle on it looks like. Make sure, if you are traveling with guns, to use a hunting travel agent for your flights and there will be a fee there to keep in mind. All one must do is spend some time on AH to see the horror stories of traveling combined with bad luck and no travel agent! Hope y’all have a great Safari!
    Philip

IAhawks84 likes this.

10. IAhawks84

IAhawks84 AH Member

Thanks Phillip!