Cabelas Bargain Cave is going away

At the end of the day we, the consumer, lose.

For me it is no big deal. Cabela's has become way over priced on the vast majority of their merchandise. The last thing that I bought from them was some rifle primers that I saw that they had when I walked through one of their stores. Other than that 99% of my purchasing is done on line except for those items that have a hasmat fee associated with them and even then I watch the other on line only stores and if they have a hasmat free day I'll order through them.

But I have learned that if I want something I either have to drive 100+ miles one way or order it on line 99% of the time I order it on line.

Online is where the money is and the majority of Cabela's sales are online. I figure where stores overlap, they'll do like other big box companies, consolidate and close some of them.
Their financial reports show big increases in online and lower sales in stores.

I asked because I know both Toys R Us and Circut City were primarily killed off by the online retail giants so logically, I thought it'd be the same for hunting (except maybe guns)

Unfortunately Cabelas' international freight rates where a killer for ordering anything from them. 40% of the purchase price regardless of the size and weight of the item was ridiculous. Guess they didn't want any international sales.

I've been a customer since their beginnings as a small hunting/fishing-- mail/phone/online retailer sending out newsprint fliers. I've also had their Visa card since near its start. The last few years they have offered less and less of what I'm interested in and my purchases from them have dwindled to near zero. The family sold out to BP, Cap One now has their card and I just got an odd letter from Cap One with some kind "policy" change announcement. I got rid of my Cap One credit card years ago so why would I want to continue to get measly Cabela's Club points for a company offering few items I'm interesting in through a credit card bank I don't want?? The closest Cabelas store is 250 miles away so no loss to my walk in business and no loss to my online business- so no affect one way or another except less competition in the market is usually not good for consumers in long run- otherwise I have little interest in their fate.

Last edited:
why would I want to continue to get measly Cabela's Club points for a company offering few items I'm interesting in through a credit card bank I don't want?

The customer service center for the credit card is in Lincoln Nebraska and is staffed with English speaking people. With one push of a button I have a live person on the line. Cap One stated they will keep that facility open, we will see. Cabela’s credit card bailed me out of a jam on a purchase made through PayPal, even after PayPal refused to help. I have always thought the customer service was excellent and that is worth more than the “points” to me. Hopefully Cap One continues the tradition.

I think the die was cast when the family sold out. Oh well, it was a good store in the past.

Average age of Cabela's customers is mid 50s . Demographics is changing the product mix. As hunting fades, shooting sports are taking up some slack but not enough to stock the old line of merchandise.

Average age of Cabela's customers is mid 50s . Demographics is changing the product mix. As hunting fades, shooting sports are taking up some slack but not enough to stock the old line of merchandise.
And therein lies our big problem. I'd guess the average age of hunters matches that of Cabela's customers. And we just aren't getting the younger people into the sport . .

And therein lies our big problem. I'd guess the average age of hunters matches that of Cabela's customers. And we just aren't getting the younger people into the sport . .

There are a lot of new people getting in to target and recreational shooting but they don't seem enthused about hunting. From where I sit, the boomers hunted because their fathers hunted. It stopped at the next generation.

You also have to wonder about Cabela's business sense. They opened two large stores in the Denver area within 30 miles of each other on I-25. There was already a BassPro store in the old Stapleton. I could understand one store but not two.

If you’re been to Denver you might understand why there are two stores. Traffic is horrific on I-25 through Denver. Going around Denver on the east side is a toll road and is a long slog going around the west side. Also the north store serves metro areas from the north, ie. Fort Collins and Boulder and the south store serves the Colorado Springs and points south.

Just my opinion from driving though and visiting both stores last year.

There are a lot of new people getting in to target and recreational shooting but they don't seem enthused about hunting. From where I sit, the boomers hunted because their fathers hunted. It stopped at the next generation.

I think it also has to do with the cost and availability of places to hunt, at least in Texas. Not many young people have the money for a hunting lease and our public land hunting is quite limited.

If you’re been to Denver you might understand why there are two stores. Traffic is horrific on I-25 through Denver. Going around Denver on the east side is a toll road and is a long slog going around the west side. Also the north store serves metro areas from the north, ie. Fort Collins and Boulder and the south store serves the Colorado Springs and points south.

Just my opinion from driving though and visiting both stores last year.

I've driven through Denver a lot, during rush hour and at other times and their traffic is no worse or better than any other large city.

If that was the real reason then just about all the other large cities that have a Cabela's should have two stores, or how about 3 or 4. Lets box the city in with them.

I also heard from a friend that works at the Lehi, Utah Cabela's that they are keeping their bargain cave so not all of them are going away. At least yet.

I think it also has to do with the cost and availability of places to hunt, at least in Texas. Not many young people have the money for a hunting lease and our public land hunting is quite limited.

I hear this at the gun clubs from young and even older, "I don't have anywhere to hunt". Actually they do but it's a three hour drive to a state game land or forest land where the restrictions are such as to discourage anyone but the hard core hunter.

I hear the same kind of stories here in Colorado but in reality they don't want to have to rough it or actually go somewhere that their smart phones don't work.

I have a few younger relatives that can't go a hour without using their phone and even with their dads and moms being hunters they want nothing to do with it. But then their great expectations of life is to become the head clerk at a service station/convenience store.

But then their great expectations of life is to become the head clerk at a service station/convenience store.

At a six figure salary. :E Happy:

But then their great expectations of life is to become the head clerk at a service station/convenience store.

Im not sure things are much different for your average Cabela's retail sales person..

I was in the Allen store again last week... Walking past the gun counter, there was a young guy (customer) asking one of the sales people about hog hunting.. he wanted to know what the best rifle/caliber/ammo combination was.. because he was going to start taking up hunting this year.. (from the 2 minutes of conversation I overheard it was pretty clear this guy had no prior experience hunting.. and very little, if any experience with firearms)...

The clerks immediate response to the question was... AR15... in 5.56... and to use 55gr frangible.. because when it hits a hog its just like buckshot... only it can be shot at longer range because its fired out of a rifle...

My first thought was.... "this guy should be working the counter at an Exxon station.... he has no freaking business being here.."...

There is plenty of state, county and public access land in PA to hunt. And not all of it is overcrowded or hard to find. Often times I wish a few more hunters were out to “move” the deer. Times and technology has changed and youth have many other interests. Including my kids and friends I hunt and fish with kids. Unfortunately, I’m pretty sure that trend is not going to change. Also, I never thought Cabelas had low prices but went there due to large selection and big stores with great mounts and live fish in streams. I don’t know why they struggled financially, maybe their stores footprint and costs were too big/high. My business side says that in order to stay in business with a shrinking hunting customer base in their teens, 20’s and 30’s they will have to change their product mix to survive and grow. Those of us in the 50’s age range can’t keep buying more. I expect to see more sporting but not hunting related clothing and items. I noticed much more woman’s sporty clothing and boots in a recent ad. If this keeps them open and allows us to still buy the hunting and fishing supplies we need then it is a win for all.

@Lee M, Agree that PA has a large amount of public hunting areas. The problem, not only for youth but older hunters is the labyrinth of byzantine regulations for each parcel. The PA game commission has taken the science of micro management of land and game to a point where it actually impedes the sport. Ten years from now, PA hunting will be a narrow shadow of its former self.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreemanHar

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you