Cabelas Bargain Cave is going away

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by mdwest, Sep 2, 2018.

1. mdwest

mdwest AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC Life Member, NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, Argentina, Peru
    It looks like Bass Pro is killing the Bargain Cave at all of the Cabelas stores.

A clerk at the Allen Tx store just told me they’ve got 2-3 weeks left and it’s gone.

Everything in the cave that is already discounted is getting an additional 25% off...

The cave in Allen is already looking a little picked over, but there are some really good deals still to be had...

For example there is a brand new Mantis 3 ground blind... normally $299... that is up for grabs for $170 right now...

The clerk thinks the discounts will increase a bit more each week until the final closure happens sometime later this month..

BWH likes this.

2. enysse

enysse AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    My friend said when he worked at Cabelas people would use a product over the week and return it the next week, how convenient. Still, I bought a lot of stuff out of the bargain cave :cry::cry::cry:.

3. Therack

Therack AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA PF DU NWTF
    Yep, our local bargain cave is already gone. It’s unfortunate as I bought a lot of my gear there at a discount. What will they do with returned merchandise now?

4. Adrian

Adrian AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    England and Namibia x3
    If anyone sees the Cabelas trail shorts with the 5 inch inseam and 30 inch waist for just a few dollars, please pick them up, I'm very happy to pay for them to be shipped to the UK.
    Love these shorts and wear them all the time.

5. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico

6. superdutch

superdutch AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA life member
    Hunted:
    Tanzania ('18) Namibia ('15, '17), USA - CO, ID, NM, SC, FL, GA, WI, TX
    I am sure they will have 10,000 sq feet of logo'd hoodies, and keep a corner or two for hunting items!

GuttormG, jeff and Hogpatrol like this.

7. MAdcox

MAdcox GOLD SUPPORTER AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Oklahoma, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, South Africa
    Still not happy Bass Pro bought Cabelas. Got one of each in Oklahoma City and BassPro sucks.

8. CAustin

CAustin AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    Sad news but maybe I need to head out to the store !

9. Badger Matt

Badger Matt AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, DSC, NRA Life, NAHC Life, DRSS
    Hunted:
    South Africa. AK, CA, FL, GA, KS, SC, CO, MO, PA, ID, VA, WY, TX
    You may want to get online quickly and order a few pair. I like them too and was told by a Cabela's employee to buy them now as Bass Pro won't be buying any more.

Adrian likes this.

10. greyfox

greyfox AH Enthusiast

I went to the store in Ackworth, GA last year after our hurricane Evacuation and spent WAY TOO much but got such great deals!! I was looking for a Leupold 4.5 X 14; they had new ones in the scope section, of course, and opened boxes (never mounted) in the Bargain Cave for $150 less!!!

11. mdwest

mdwest AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    I was on the west side of the metroplex yesterday, so I stopped in and checked out the big Cabelas in Ft. Worth..

They have already closed the bargain cave and have replaced it with a room dedicated to 5.11 clothing and gear.

They did have all of their turkey hunting stuff on clearance though (most of it marked down 25-50%).. and then were providing an additional 35% discount on top of that.. so I did pick up a bunch of turkey stuff for ridiculously cheap prices..

I got two box calls that normally retail for $44.95 for $7.10 each... and 3 very nice Avian brand decoys that would have retailed for about $150 for about $85...

If your live in the DFW area and are into turkeys.. now is a very good time to stop by the Ft. Worth Cabelas grab some stuff...

They also had a bunch of turkey chokes, reed calls, pot calls, and a couple of different brands of decoys other than the avians that I picked up already marked down to clearance prices, with an additional 35% off..

12. JimP

JimP AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, RMEF
    Hunted:
    US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
    I have never found anything in their bargain cave that I wanted to buy, but then being 6'5 and 240 lbs might be a problem. Most of the items that I saw in ours here in Colorado just didn't look like quality merchandise or was just items that didn't sell and they were trying to get rid of. Not to mentioned the boots and shoes that were worn and then returned which I would of never bought anyway.

Bhfs300 likes this.

13. tigris115

tigris115 AH Enthusiast

I have a question. How much has internet retail affected hunting stores?

14. mdwest

mdwest AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    I would guess by a substantial amount.

I know I make a lot of online hunting purchases...

sierraone and jeff like this.

15. JimP

JimP AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, RMEF
    Hunted:
    US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
    Just remember Cabela's started out as a paper catalog sales and then moved to the internet.

I'm not sure if Bass Pro had a store or not but I have got their paper catalogs a long time before I even knew that they had a store and they went to the internet.

And then there are us that don't have either very close by that still have to depend on the paper catalog and internet sales to get our equipment.

16. Hank2211

Hank2211 GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
    Hunted:
    Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina
    I think it depends. I don't get to Cabelas often, but I buy from their online site with some regularity. So they don't lose out on all online purchases.

Many online only merchants are not beginning to open bricks-and-mortar stores . . .

17. Bhfs300

Bhfs300 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA Canada South Africa New Zealand
    I am close enough to Sidney NE that I would always go there once a year to do my shopping.
    I have their CC and refer to the store there as Mecca:).
    Since Cabelas was the number one employer there I have heard most of the homes in the town are for sale since Bass Pro bought them out:(
    For them more than a bargain cave problem.

Therack likes this.

18. mdwest

mdwest AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    I’ve got a Cabellas less than a 10 minute drive from my house... and I still buy from their online site fairly regularly...

I find a lot of stuff online that my store doesn’t keep in stock..

I also shopped from brownells, midway, bass pro, cabelas, and a host of other places in the pre-internet days... getting their catalogs in the mail was almost as exciting as actually receiving an order from one of them...

I suddenly feel very old....

Sigh...

:)

BobT, sierraone, MAdcox and 1 other person like this.

19. WAB

WAB AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
    I’m going to date myself but I shopped at Cabela’s Sydney store when it was in a wooden building downtown. We we there for the Sydney superstore grand opening. Cabela’s has always been a quality operation and it is being destroyed by Bass Pro. Have you been in one of their gun rooms lately? The quality firearms are almost non-existent.

We should have known when they let go the Cabelas marketing group that the end was near.

MAdcox and Therack like this.

20. JimP

JimP AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, RMEF
    Hunted:
    You also have to wonder about Cabela's business sense. They opened two large stores in the Denver area within 30 miles of each other on I-25. There was already a BassPro store in the old Stapleton. I could understand one store but not two.

sierraone likes this.