Cabela’s banning African hunting pictures from pro staff

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by KMG Hunting Safaris, Jan 3, 2019.

1. CTDolan

CTDolan AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    I wrote off Cabela's years ago (same with Gander Mountain, which is no more). As of now almost all of my online shopping is with Midway, Graf & Sons, Wholesale Hunter, and the like. As for in-store sales, I keep it local. I'm willing to pay a bit more to help out the guy holding on by the skin of his teeth against the giants of the industry.

2. Von S.

Von S. AH Fanatic

A friend owned a small tackle shop attached to his house and he told me that he would soon be going out of business because a Wal-Mart was being built 5 miles from him.

I had no idea what a Walmart was at that time.

When it opened we took a ride over and their sporting goods department was enormous. They had 5 long rows of just fishing stuff. Their firearm display was outstanding as they had hundreds of rifles on display and mouts of moose,deer and bears on the walls with ammo out the wazoo. It was wonderful.

Then came mail order, then internet and a lousy economy.

Today in that store the entire sporting goods Dept is 3 isles, adout 20 cheap firearms and the department isn't even manned .no more stuffed animals either

Oh well...

3. CTDolan

CTDolan AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    When we support the monster retailers we're basically shooting ourselves in the foot. I understand budgets and all that but at some point a person has to appeal to the greater good. My opinion.

4. Hank2211

Hank2211 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
    Hunted:
    Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina
    To each their own, of course, and I respect your opinion.

But I think I could make a pretty strong argument that appealing to "the greater good" is exactly what mega-retailers do, by bringing low prices to the greatest number of people on commodity and staple items. I sure can't complain about the impact of these retailers on the prices of basics which we now pay, mostly as a result of the advent of these retailers.

Of course, it's not always easy for smaller retailers to compete - I own a small retail business myself now, and we have to compete with Costco among others. We've had to change our business model, offering a better selection of hard-to-get items, with more knowledgeable staff, and as a result, I think we're a better retailer today. Having said that, it was a lot easier to make money before Costco came along. But as a consumer, that's not really the test, nor should it be.

I still patronize specialty retailers for all of those hard-to-find things for which the market is so small that Costco and Walmart don't even try to compete. People who care to sell the very best, and are knowledgeable about what they sell. For example, I love handmade knives from Carlton Evans, but I know that very few can or would spend what it takes to buy one. I'm glad that people who can't afford these can still pick up a decent knife made by a big manufacturer at Cabela's or Bass Pro.

It's just the competition between retailers, by the way, which is forcing us towards ever bigger retailers, to keep prices down. If consumers were happy to pay more, I think we'd see fewer of these deals!

That's what makes a market, and while it's made retailing tough, no one ever said anything worthwhile was going to be easy, or that what's best for retailers is automatically best for consumers.

flatwater bill, enysse and Royal27 like this.

5. fourfive8

fourfive8 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana
    Yep, that walk back sounded just like Yeti's response to similar concerns after they were called out for dinging the NRA.... pure horse puckey!

Rock375 likes this.

6. CTDolan

CTDolan AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    It’s a catch-22 situation. Capitalism demands it, and society as a whole (the entire, global market) pays the price (consolidation, depressed wages, lost wages, wealth disparity, environmental degradation, and so on). Sure, the goods come cheap but the actual cost is not reflected in the price paid at the register. This is precisely why such a paradigm is not sustainable, long term, a fact a great many are coming to realize.

7. YancyW

YancyW GOLD SUPPORTER AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, SCI, RMEF, Ducks Unlimited
    Are you referring to capitalist system being unsustainable long term? I think I missed something.

8. Red Leg

Red Leg AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
    Oh Lord. Just need to gain control of the means of production, then the proletariat can be adequately provided according to their needs (and grievances).

jeanes, MAdcox, CAustin and 2 others like this.

9. Pheroze

Pheroze AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    OFAH, DSC
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Canada, USA
    The more pressing is issue is naively financing an aggressively expansionist Asian superpower

10. Hank2211

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina
    Complicated issues @Pheroze.

I'd agree, but that same Asian (global?) superpower is also financing the US deficit. If they don't do it, who will or, more importantly, who can?

Pheroze likes this.

11. Brent in Az

Brent in Az AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA - Az, NM, CO, MT, MN.
    Mom & Pop, shops, have been the backbone of this country for centuries. Unfortunately, the big box companies, have been slowly strangling small business. Look at what Amazon has done, and all the businesses that have been negatively affected by this Titan of the online ordering world. Sign of the times I guess?
    In the past, I always received good service, and products, from Cabela's. Never had a problem with them. They were kind of the Icon of the outdoor gear world to me.

meigsbucks, 1dirthawker and bilmcc like this.

12. Eric Anderson

Eric Anderson AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    RSA
    The powder selection at both bass pro and Cabellas now sucks near me. The bullet selection now sucks. The use gun section where I bought some great rifles and shotguns now sucks. The hunting clothing at both is now bass pro (read wal-mart) quality.
    You can’t feel the trigger at either anymore.
    That is enough for me.

Rock375 likes this.

13. Hank2211

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Actually, Amazon may be the lifeblood of many small businesses which can't afford websites, hosting, order processing, etc. Amazon Marketplace offers all of those services (for a fe of course) allowing mom and pops to remain relevant in an online world.

And as for the big box stores slowly strangling the small stores, my retail business is wine and liquor. There is no way we can compete with the prices Costco sells for and the margins they seem to be able to accept . . . yet I'd argue we're a better - and more interesting - business today because of them. We've had to figure out how to remain relevant, how to provide better service and a better selection to our customers, etc. It's pretty clear that big box stores aim for about 80% of the market, leaving the top 20% unserved. That's where we come in.

Competition can be hard, but overall, it's the best approach to providing goods and services to consumers at a price they're prepared to pay. But if you have a better way, I'm all ears!

lwaters, 1dirthawker, IdaRam and 3 others like this.

14. Brent in Az

Brent in Az AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA - Az, NM, CO, MT, MN.
    I know some youtube Vloggers that have a personal Amazon page. They make a small commission for anything purchased on that page. Anybody can set one up I think?

Maybe niche markets are more adaptable? When Amazon was growing by leaps and bounds, I just saw many news stories about small business retailers that were complaining about Amazon? Online sales is one reason some states were passing internet sales tax laws. State Government's want a piece of the pie.

15. lockingblock

lockingblock AH Senior Member

I can say one thing for sure, my Cabela’s card went from being easy to use, easy to access/pay...to being super hard to access and pay with a stupid 87 part authentication process via an app that I have to use.

It now sucks...

Thanks, Bass Pro. You made a great card into a pain.

lwaters likes this.

16. Beretta391

Beretta391 AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Dsc,nsca
    Hunted:
    Namibia, USA , Argentina
    I too was skeptical when my prized Cabelas Visa card turned into a Cabelas/Bass pro MasterCard. Almost cancelled it but thought I’ll give it a try. I didn’t download their app. I pay my bill thru my bank pay app. I really can’t tell any difference so far. I’ll keep my fingers crossed and maybe it will keep working. It’s nice to go and buy a lot of clothes and such for our trips to Africa and pay for it with points!! Makes me feel good!!

meigsbucks likes this.

17. Eventually_Africa_Again

Eventually_Africa_Again AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    My wife was working for Cabelas when Bass Pro bought them. Within a month they had let her go, along with all the competent management and the entire loss prevention office. So now they shelves are often bare or minimally stocked, word got around that there was no more loss prevention office so theft went through the roof and the entire store went from shiny and awesome to slowly wasting away into nothing. The used gun section, when I last check last week, consists of some over priced savages and a passel of mosin nagants with rust and corrosion all over them. That's not hyperbole by the way, I picked one up to look at it and it was covered in rust and grime. I looked more closely at it's rack mates, all the same story. I wouldn't expect to see this level of neglect in a back-corner gun show booth, little own Cabelas. It's really sad to watch. From this perspective the whole merger was just an excuse for Bass Pro to kill a competitor because they sure as crap haven't invested a dime into improving what they bought, at least in this neck of the woods. Your millage, of course, may vary.

18. Ryan

Ryan AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    I have looked up a couple other Cabela's Pro Staff and they still have African game photos up. Makes me wonder if there is more to this story.

That said I've watched it all happen with interest. Personally I was always a Cabela's fan over BPS. But I know quite a few hunters who were the other way around. And I know more than one employee of both stores so I have kept an open mind. Really kind of funny how people took sides when they were both showing up to Anchorage, Alaska at the same time as we already had a Sportsman's Warehouse and this place really isn't all that big. So I would walk into all of them and make comparisons. Honestly, BPS impresses me the least. The merger didn't shock me, Cabela's decided to get into the big retail stores and then went public 15-20 years ago to make a lot of money for family members where as BPS stayed private. BPS played their cards smart. I expected BPS to be smart enough to leave Cabela's alone and make their money off of a slightly different model than theirs, but I may be wrong. Amazingly Sportman's is still in town as are some decent local shops who have performed as well or better than the box stores in their markets. I can't find Swift bullets at the big stores, but one local said YES, with good prices, and I bought them immediately. Funny thing (to me), BPS clothes are worse than Cabela's, but Duluth Trading opened a store in Anchorage with better clothing than both, so they both lose there in my eyes. If Cabela's/BPS wants to alienate me on hunting stuff I can walk away and give my money to others, no problem.

Ridgewalker and 1dirthawker like this.

19. barbells.and.arrows

barbells.and.arrows AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    I've seen the photos on social media where the Canadian Cabela's social media guide did say to refrain from African photos. I also saw where Jeanette is going to do a podcast with Doug Giles regarding the matter sometime this week, so it will be interesting to see how that shakes out. I assumed when it broke it was directly related to Canadian pro-staff, because we know our friends across the border are a little softer on their feelings towards things sometimes, even though I know we are headed there too unfortunately.

I just hate seeing hunting stores, or hunting "influencers" speaking poorly on hunting in Africa. Especially when some of those who put it in a negative light have never been or haven't taken the time to educate themselves on it. If a "hunter" or "hunting store" doesn't approve of African hunting, then how will people who are non hunters feel? They will feel even more validated in their on the fence or far leaning distaste for "trophy hunting."

Scott CWO and Hogpatrol like this.

20. rookhawk

rookhawk AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
    Friends, I know its easy to circle the wagons and get defensive that "hunting is being assaulted" in this discussion. Please consider another view also: The pictures don't help our sport out at all, and whether they don't allow pictures of kills or not, it isn't helpful.

1. Kill shots are off-putting for many customers and the public
    2. It overemphasizes a small part of a hunt
    3. It misrepresents what hunting is

I would very much like to see us move to the "orvis model" that emphasizes the experience rather than just the final moment.