Buyer Beware Of Whitworth Arms LLC/doublegunhq

Today I enquired about a Kimber Caprivi in 458 Lott with a seller on Gunsinternational.com. They go by the name of doublegunhq with the company name Whitworth Arms LLC.
They have had this rifle listed for quite a long time in "As New Condition". And they are asking retail price for it.
So I simply asked them the question " is this rifle still in "as new condition" with no flaws? Perfectly like new? And this is the response I was given.
I can't imagine a busines owner responding to a question in this manner....
So if you see anything they are offering for sale, I'd be very leery to do business with them.

View attachment 385273
I guess we know why it has been listed for so long.
Toby, did you look at the photos of that rifle, it is new old stock. $2975 I believe. Unless you have looked into it in detail, you need to look again. Looks same as new to me.
I know where you're coming from. It was an old listing however. It's not uncommon for conditions to change after many months of tire kickers and employees with enough cash to fire a couple rounds.

I set up at a nice gunshow and the gunshop across from us put up a fancy carousel gun display. Looked good until a bubba bumped it and knocked the whole thing off the table. About a dozen guns crashed down to the concrete. After the first bubba bumped it, they actually put it back up. Our side watched with eager anticipation and guess what, 20 minutes later bubba's brother knocked it down too. Guns crash to the concrete a second time. At that point it went from unfortunate to funny.

They constructed it a third time and then guarded the table. After a couple hours passed they got comfy and another bubba took it down a third time. They're evil eyes turned to our table of laughs and we yelled "Stop putting that stupid thing up". They then ditched the carousel, but only after much destruction to "new" winchester rifles.

We do not have a "gun shop" and nobody "fondles" our inventory. And if we list a rifle as NIB that means New In Box, never out of the box, not even for photographs; and if it was sealed at the factory it's still sealed. If, as in this case, we list a rifle "As New" that means it appears to be new and unfired or test fired only, but the box has been opened and the gun may have been been handled but not damaged in any significant way. Not by me, I never cut seals, but by some prior owner or dealer.

The Caprivi rifle in question was sold to another customer shortly after this strange episode. The customer was happy with it, I assume, as he exercised his 3 day inspection and kept the rifle. Every item we sell, other than NIB items, has a 3 day inspection to be exercised at the premises of the receiving dealer or gunsmith.

A Kimber Caprivi in 458 Lott is not something you come across every day, and the price was not, as stated, "full retail". The MSRP on a Caprivi in 375 is $3648. I don't see an MSRP on a Lott as these are NLA. The OP who complained that the price of my "as new" rifle being "full retail" at $2750, later advertised a rifle of the same make, model and caliber, in clearly used condition, on this website for $2900 here ; perhaps the rifle he bought from someone else with a "cracked stock". I don't read any disclosure about the stock being cracked when he sold it on .......

If the OP's problem is that I answered his question with a good deal of sarcasm, that is accurate; however, his question, in my mind, fell into the "dumb question" category. I have never been asked, before or after, whether an item advertised as NIB or As New is "still new". Nor am in in the habit of taking a firearm that is new, and using it, for that would be self-defeating. In fact we don't fire 99% of the used firearms that we handle, unless it is to regulate a double for a particular load or to mount a scope on request of a customer. Our inventory sits in a secure gunroom, and only I have access to it. We don't do walk-ins and we almost never do in person transactions, so there is no fondling. We very almost never attend gunshows, ditto.

The person who stated that he returned a rifle, "Rookhawk", is TM. He purchased a Griffin and Howe 375 described as as a "Full custom G&H rifle built on a 64 (as in 1964 not pre-64) Win 70 action" from me, for $3475. He misinterpreted the listing as being a "pre 64" action and did not look at the several photos closely enough to note that this was a "transition" push feed action. It was not a case of my not "accurately" describing the rifle, rather it was a case of his wanting it to be something it was not. It was such a pretty rifle, in such high condition, at a very good price, that I was indeed a bit surprised when he asked to return it. I asked him why, thinking that perhaps there was some shipping damage, which has to be reported immediately. His issue was that it was not a pre-64 action; and he also found the custom integral peep sight too low for his eye. There was no "mantrum" as he states, unless he is referring to his own state of mind. In any case he did return it for a refund and it sold later to another customer, at a higher price than he paid.

That is not to say that I have never sold something with a latent defect. Used firearms are, well, used; and sometimes I miss something. That's why there is a 3 day inspection. It is also not honest to say I never have an unhappy customer. About once a year, I have an unhappy transaction. And it's not one-sided. I have had more than one instance where a customer has taken a gun hunting (as in a new gun returned with mud on the buttpad), or has modified the gun in some way (filing on the forend lug in the wrong place to make a forend latch easier to operate, and then complaining the forend is loose; in a few cases, customers have inspected the item, passed the background check, taken it home, slept on it; and then, in these and similar cases, wanting to return the item for a refund.

I have been in this business for 25 years now and have sold maybe 5000 high dollar guns in that time. I can probably count on two hands and one foot the number that have been returned.
First off. The Caprivi I sold here on AH was a different rifle. The rifle I purchased that had the cracked forend tip was returned to the seller. The buyer was very happy to pay $2900 at the time, because by this point these rifles were now discontinued and people were paying astronomical prices for them. (Especially in today's crazy market).
All I did was ask you a simple question, and a simple polite reply would've been appreciated. And I would've bought the rifle. However, like I said on this thread, I overreacted and wished I had not posted this. This all took place well over a year ago, so I guess you're just now hearing about it?
I would be happy if the moderator would take this down, once you have your final say, if you choose to do so.
No hard feelings on my end, and I apologize if I was being a bit too thin skinned.
I would never want to hurt the business of a reputable gun seller. They're getting hard to come by.

The reason I asked was, I purchased a Kimber exactly like this in the past that was marked "as new" and the pictures looked great. But when I received the rifle, it had a cracked forearm and the action looked like it had been cycled 500 times, with a bunch of the bluing worn off the feed rails. So, If I'm going to pay new prices, I want a new rifle! These rifles routinely sold for around $2750 the last time Kimber made a run of 458s, so he's not exactly cheap on it. Oh well. I don't really need it anyway.
You asked them a very fair question. Right now there is a Sako L579 Forrester in 22-250 that has been sitting on the Pre-owned rack at my local Scheel's for over a year. When they first put it on the rack, it was in very close to Excellent condition; but after a year or more of being manhandled by every mouth-breather that has wandered through there, the rifle would be more accurately described as Fair (or perhaps Good) condition. Stuff that sits around for awhile can definitely have a change of condition, and you are right to ask for verification of its current state.

In all fairness to Toby, I have purchased 3 “as new” rifles this year. In all of those transactions I asked a very similar question and was told there were no defects. Only one of those three did the rifle come as described.

But did you get a jackass response when you asked?

@TOBY458 I would have asked the same question. What does”as new” really mean? I believe this is well with a question of buying something this expensive.
I don’t think the dealers response was warranted.
Crap like this is why I hardly ever buy anything but NIB guns.
Philip

Not that I recall, but I also understand the response of the seller. I have 2 ads up selling rifles on a local site right now and I’m tired of the ridiculous questions. He has 661 current ads.

You said you ask similar questions, do you think it is a ridiculous question? I just assumed some smart ass teenager wrote the response, I was pretty surprised when an adult actually admitted to it.

No. I don’t think it is a proper response and I don’t think it is a ridiculous question.

I do try to be understanding though and to a guy that has sold 7k firearms on GI and is/believes themselves to be an above board dealer it might be insulting.

I wouldn’t do business with someone who sent me that response, but I also don’t buy from EuroOptic. I was very interested in a $5k Cooper rifle and they told me for actual pictures I had to put 25% down.

No. I don’t think it is a proper response and I don’t think it is a ridiculous question.

I do try to be understanding though and to a guy that has sold 7k firearms on GI and is/believes themselves to be an above board dealer it might be insulting.

I wouldn’t do business with someone who sent me that response, but I also don’t buy from EuroOptic. I was very interested in a $5k Cooper rifle and they told me for actual pictures I had to put 25% down.

WTF?????

The seller’s response is off putting. But I suppose some businesses rely on volume and less on lengthy interactions. It is a reminder to me to treat each person with kindness and not to presume something said in jest is taken that way. The internet is tough because humor can be difficult to understand without seeing the delivery.

Yeah, I would have told them to piss off also. If someone is dropping 5k, they can send a photo.

Reactions: WAB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross